ZMF Auteur Thread
Feb 6, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #4,531 of 8,327
That is why I also asked about Class A or A/B amps as well. Was considering the Jot 2 and the much pricier Burson Soloist among others.
Being Australian I feel bad for not liking Burson.

Violectric and ZMF pair nicely too to my ears.

Feb 6, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #4,532 of 8,327
I'm running them through a Burson Soloist 3XP and they sound wonderful. Im in the process of building my Bottlehead Crack and will report how they sound with tubes!

That should be an interesting comparison.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #4,533 of 8,327
Felt like taking a proper shot of this beauty

IMG_0028.jpg

After soon two weeks with them I'm still very impressed. Did some quick comparisons to the HD-650 and Ananda (with stock pads on), and also tried the suede universal pads. I'm still just enjoying them and haven't bothered to do any critical comparisons, but they're my favorite. The HD-650 sounds a bit anemic in comparison. The Ananda holds up well but is quite different, bigger soundstage but also a bit thinner with brighter treble. Initial impressions with the suede universal pads on the Auteur is that it brings them a bit towards the Ananda sound, but it's still more intimate and fuller.

Great headphone all in all!

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #4,534 of 8,327
Why would anyone buy these instead of an Aeolus (or vise-versa)?

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #4,535 of 8,327

Aeolus has...

Better macrodynamics
More punchy bass with a bigger mid-bass hump
More tonal density and richness
A more "fun", rather than neutral signature
Smoother treble
Faster Transient Response

Auteur has...

Better detail, particularly microdetail.
A more neutral tonal response
More present upper-midrange, particularly vocals
Better microdynamics
Better bass texture, articulation, and extension
A more present, extended treble
More Natural, longer-lasting decay

They're two different headphones. I love them both, and will soon own both, but overall, I think the Auteur is more of an all-rounder while the Aeolus is more of a "flavorful", "fun" can.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #4,536 of 8,327
Aeolus is very warm. And sounds a bit muffled in comparison.

Autuer is clearer sounding and less warm. But still with the ZMF traits.

I've owned Verite, Aeolus and Autuer. Heard VC. Settled on the Autuer.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #4,537 of 8,327
They have very different tuning. The Auteur is pretty neutral overall, whereas the Aeolus is much warmer. They also use different drivers (Auteur = biocellulous, Aeolus = TPE) which have very different performance characteristics. The TPE driver in the Atticus/Aeolus is a bit faster, with stronger midbass presence, and a smooth top end. The biocellulous driver in the Auteur/Eikon is a bit slower, with a noticeably deeper subbass, and more present treble. So based on the buyer's preferences, they should be able to find a ZMF model that will satisfy.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #4,538 of 8,327
Thanks y'all for the insight, I have Auteurs (almond LTD from ZMF November) and love them. Just wanted some insights from folks who have experienced both.

Feb 9, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #4,539 of 8,327
How's the soundstage and separation on these compared to say a mid level hifiman? Also how are the headbands, they don't look too secure, will they slip off if you tilt your head up and down?

Also what's the build time like?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #4,540 of 8,327
What is the weight in grams for the Ambrosia Maple version with a Magnesium chassis? Coming from the LCD2f which weighed about 580g, I don't want anything close to that weight again. It caused neck strain after 30 minutes each listen. On the ZMF website it says 470g + or - 20s. However is that taken into account the magnesium chassis, the wood type and the grille and rod material? As they have run different stock woods before, and maybe haven't updated the numbers. I am hoping with a magnesium chassis I could expect 450g, which would be tolerable with a suede suspension strap.

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #4,541 of 8,327
How's the soundstage and separation on these compared to say a mid level hifiman? Also how are the headbands, they don't look too secure, will they slip off if you tilt your head up and down?

Also what's the build time like?

Only Hifiman I’ve heard is the HD400i, which most people rightly consider on the budget end of the scale.

In my experience, Auteurs significantly outperform them in terms of imaging (being able to locate sounds in space). I find them quite good at it, especially on a tube amp. The Auteur sound stage is positioned further away and feels narrower, like you’re 10-20 feet away from the stage as opposed to standing in the middle which is how I remember the 400i. Your mileage may vary.

Regarding the headband- it’s not super tight. They haven’t fallen off my head when I’m walking around but I do have to pay a little bit of attention.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #4,542 of 8,327
Only Hifiman I’ve heard is the HD400i, which most people rightly consider on the budget end of the scale.

In my experience, Auteurs significantly outperform them in terms of imaging (being able to locate sounds in space). I find them quite good at it, especially on a tube amp. The Auteur sound stage is positioned further away and feels narrower, like you’re 10-20 feet away from the stage as opposed to standing in the middle which is how I remember the 400i. Your mileage may vary.

Regarding the headband- it’s not super tight. They haven’t fallen off my head when I’m walking around but I do have to pay a little bit of attention.
Thanks this helps a lot.

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #4,543 of 8,327
...Regarding the headband- it’s not super tight. They haven’t fallen off my head when I’m walking around but I do have to pay a little bit of attention.
Same experience here w/ Auteur feeling like it might come off if I bob my head vigorously while grooving to something up-tempo.

ZMF Pilot pad completely eliminated that problem for me.

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #4,544 of 8,327
What is the weight in grams for the Ambrosia Maple version with a Magnesium chassis? Coming from the LCD2f which weighed about 580g, I don't want anything close to that weight again. It caused neck strain after 30 minutes each listen. On the ZMF website it says 470g + or - 20s. However is that taken into account the magnesium chassis, the wood type and the grille and rod material? As they have run different stock woods before, and maybe haven't updated the numbers. I am hoping with a magnesium chassis I could expect 450g, which would be tolerable with a suede suspension strap.

So I actually emailed Zach about this and got a reply for those maybe also interested, if weight is a concern for you. The magnesium chassis can lower the weight of the maple versions into the 440g area give or take a few grams depending on differences of wood and all. While the black grille/rod will subtract another 15g potentially, so a not too shabby 430g give or take. While the brass option would add 20-30g compared to the black metal.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #4,545 of 8,327
Same experience here w/ Auteur feeling like it might come off if I bob my head vigorously while grooving to something up-tempo.

ZMF Pilot pad completely eliminated that problem for me.

Focus on keeping the head horizontal, and implement a simple toe tapping movement (with occasional air-drumming). Refrain from placing any potential blame on the headphone, as the ZMF Auteur are simply outstanding! Please don't disrespect. Thank you and God Bless!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back