ZMF Auteur Thread
Jan 20, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #4,456 of 8,327
One of the stock tubes broke on my Liquid Platinum - any recommendations for a new pair at a reasonable price?
Genalex/Gold Lion 6922s.

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #4,457 of 8,327
Jan 20, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #4,458 of 8,327
Any thoughts/experiences on Valhalla 2 vs Feliks Audio Echo for the Auteurs? Purely for trying out a tube amp when I get the headphones, to complement my SS-amp.
I have the Auteurs and the Echo. They really come alive on the Echo. Really good pairing.

Jan 20, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #4,459 of 8,327
Appreciate it! Any favorite online retailers for tubes besides ebay?
I have a few which have online (as well as brick/mortar...dormant during COVID) activity: NOS Tubes Unlimited, Upscale Audio, VIVA Tubes....all in US. I use others beyond the US if you are interested.

Jan 20, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #4,460 of 8,327
I second that I ve had the pleasure of running my auteurs using a valhalla 2 for 3 days and it didnt sound dynamic at all, IMO. Its a god amp, dont get me wrong but its not meant to be paired with a zmf can. On the other hand, it sounded excellent with my focal clear and Hd660s. Like many others have said, the zmf cans love OTL tube amp. Anything from Feliks Audio (echo, elise or euforia), Liquid platinum (cap modded if possible), Bottlehead amps. These amps + killer tubes + any zmf of your liking = bliss. Cant go wrong with any of these and there are many, many more out there that will pair really well with your zmf headphone.

From firsthand experience, I think you can add the ZDT, Jr with GE tubes to that list.

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #4,461 of 8,327
One of the stock tubes broke on my Liquid Platinum - any recommendations for a new pair at a reasonable price?
You can start with sylvania/ge Jan 6922 tubes as entry level. After that there are amperex 6922 a getter.

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #4,462 of 8,327
Hi
I am considering my first zmf headset and I hesitate between aeolus and auteur, verite is too expensive for me.
I have some hifiman ananda, grade gs3000e and fostex th900.
My favorite signature is Hifiman Ananda.
I have had clear, arya, among others and ananda is still my favorite.
I think that both zmf must be a little warmer than ananda and surely a more similar auteur.
I have a feliks audio expressive mark 2 tube amp that should work very well with them.
I also had campfire audio cascade, the aeolus signature I see similar but more balanced with much less midbass and subbass
Cheers

If you want it to be closer to what you like in the ananda then go with the auteur and pad swap until you’re happy.

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #4,463 of 8,327
The headphone amplifiers which, to my ears, are synergistic matches to the ZMF Auteurs are (alphabetically): Bottlehead Crack 1.1 (speedball + mega-capacitors), Liquid Platinum (with external LPS and 12AU7 tubes), Violectric V280.

IME The Woo Audio WA6-SE lights them up as well. Some people feel the WA-6SE is slow, but it certainly has decent slam and seems to pair exceptionally well with my Auteur.

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #4,464 of 8,327
Put a fresh coat of polish and conditioned the leather on my cocobolo Auteur today.

DSCF6371.jpg

Been a while since I've had a long session with the Auteur, remembering now why I fell in love with it. Listening on a DIY amp I finished the other day.

DSCF6375.jpg

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #4,465 of 8,327
Put a fresh coat of polish and conditioned the leather on my cocobolo Auteur today.

DSCF6371.jpg

Been a while since I've had a long session with the Auteur, remembering now why I fell in love with it. Listening on a DIY amp I finished the other day.

DSCF6375.jpg
That’s hot.

Jan 21, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #4,466 of 8,327

Nice looking amp!

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #4,467 of 8,327
Any thoughts/experiences on Valhalla 2 vs Feliks Audio Echo for the Auteurs? Purely for trying out a tube amp when I get the headphones, to complement my SS-amp.

I’ve posted before about it and so have others, but my Valhalla 2 is paired with my Bifrost and I really enjoy the pairing. I don’t have experience with higher end amps, but if you’re on a budget (relatively speaking) the Valhalla really is a great amp. For $350 you get great performance.

Again, I haven’t tried my Auteurs on higher end stuff. I can say with certainty though that my Auteurs sound incredibly good with my Valhalla. The next logical upgrade for me would actually be an Echo, and I want to buy one eventually. But you won’t be disappointed with a Valhalla in my opinion.

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #4,468 of 8,327
I’ve posted before about it and so have others, but my Valhalla 2 is paired with my Bifrost and I really enjoy the pairing. I don’t have experience with higher end amps, but if you’re on a budget (relatively speaking) the Valhalla really is a great amp. For $350 you get great performance.

Again, I haven’t tried my Auteurs on higher end stuff. I can say with certainty though that my Auteurs sound incredibly good with my Valhalla. The next logical upgrade for me would actually be an Echo, and I want to buy one eventually. But you won’t be disappointed with a Valhalla in my opinion.

The Valhalla and Echo are roughly the same price for me since a local(ish) dealer got the Echo in stock, while I'd have to order the Valhalla online, probably from the US which adds taxes on top of shipping.

Thanks for all the input though, I'll probably go with the Echo but I'm not in a rush since I'm still not sure when I'll receive the Auteurs.

Jan 22, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #4,469 of 8,327
The Valhalla and Echo are roughly the same price for me since a local(ish) dealer got the Echo in stock, while I'd have to order the Valhalla online, probably from the US which adds taxes on top of shipping.

Thanks for all the input though, I'll probably go with the Echo but I'm not in a rush since I'm still not sure when I'll receive the Auteurs.

If they’re the same price for you, then l would definitely leverage what everyone is providing you with detail wise. In the US for me it’s about a $400 difference between the two!

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #4,470 of 8,327
The headphone amplifiers which, to my ears, are synergistic matches to the ZMF Auteurs are (alphabetically): Bottlehead Crack 1.1 (speedball + mega-capacitors), Liquid Platinum (with external LPS and 12AU7 tubes), Violectric V280.

Add to the list... JDS Element !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back