ZMF Auteur Thread
Dec 5, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #4,306 of 8,322
I can say this about them, with the stock Auteur perforated leather pads, these have a wider stage with more forward vocals than the Verite. I’m really liking them a lot. And I’m really not hearing them as having much less bass than the Verite either. The Verite mid bass might have a touch more quantity, but I feel like I’m hearing more sub bass with these. Of course the bass differences are track dependent.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #4,307 of 8,322
I can say this about them, with the stock Auteur perforated leather pads, these have a wider stage with more forward vocals than the Verite. I’m really liking them a lot. And I’m really not hearing them as having much less bass than the Verite either. The Verite mid bass might have a touch more quantity, but I feel like I’m hearing more sub bass with these. Of course the bass differences are track dependent.
When I had the Eikons I always thought they would sound really good as an open back pair. Your description of the bass makes me think I was right in my hunch. I will soon find an out for myself.

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #4,308 of 8,322
Where do you see your shipping times etc? I made an order 10 days ago and had some questions regarding it, but I still haven't got any e-mail replies. And no I don't expect to get the actual headphones anytime soon, but I do expect communication.

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #4,309 of 8,322
^^^ Definitely reforward me your emails! I wasn't prepared for the sheer amount of volume we have gotten lately, and without a dedicated support dept I definitely miss some for whatever reason. We're working on this!

Where do you see your shipping times etc? I made an order 10 days ago and had some questions regarding it, but I still haven't got any e-mail replies. And no I don't expect to get the actual headphones anytime soon, but I do expect communication.

Sorry I was sanding all day and just got to emails, we are behind as we don't have a dedicated support dept. and this is the busiest time of year. As mentioned in the ZMF November thread - I am doing my best and I will have spreadsheets to everyone on monday with anything ZMF November related. If you ordered a non-ZMF November set we will be updating order status' shortly and you'll get an email - and you can check that out any time here: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/pages/order-lookup

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 7, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #4,310 of 8,322
Well, they arrived - and just as amazing as I expected them to be!

They are really tough to take pictures of, but wenge is an awesome wood and I'm very pleased with how they turned out.

In terms of sound, I don't have too much to add yet. I'm driving the Auteurs from Tidal to my Bifrost 2 and into my Valhalla 2. My only other headphone is my 6xx and if I'm doing a quick comparison, I would say that the Auteur's are much punchier in the lows and overall cleaner. Lifelike mids and highs that keep the music fun. Overall the sound is similar - almost as if the 6xx's took a bunch of HGH (Headphone Growth Hormone) and were redesigned by true craftsmen.

Cant thank you enough @zach915m and @BooUrns for this amazing pair!

IMG_4689.jpgIMG_4697.jpgIMG_4699.jpgIMG_4706.jpgIMG_4708.jpgIMG_4710.jpgIMG_4721.jpg

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #4,311 of 8,322

They are really tough to take pictures of, but wenge is an awesome wood and I'm very pleased with how they turned out.

In terms of sound, I don't have too much to add yet. I'm driving the Auteurs from Tidal to my Bifrost 2 and into my Valhalla 2. My only other headphone is my 6xx and if I'm doing a quick comparison, I would say that the Auteur's are much punchier in the lows and overall cleaner. Lifelike mids and highs that keep the music fun. Overall the sound is similar - almost as if the 6xx's took a bunch of HGH (Headphone Growth Hormone) and were redesigned by true craftsmen.

IMG_4689.jpgIMG_4697.jpgIMG_4699.jpgIMG_4706.jpgIMG_4708.jpgIMG_4710.jpgIMG_4721.jpg

You’ve lost your mind if you don’t think those pictures are good. They are fantastic! You make my pics look like I was drunk when I took them. Beautiful headphones!

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #4,312 of 8,322
You’ve lost your mind if you don’t think those pictures are good. They are fantastic! You make my pics look like I was drunk when I took them. Beautiful headphones!

Ha! I am going to post more pictures later this week in better light and on a wenge salire. Should be a fun little shoot!

Dec 8, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #4,314 of 8,322

Those pictures are fantastic. I didn't think much of the looks of these on the ZMF site but man... Yours and @Hifiearspeakers pics make them look absolutely gorgeous.

Dec 8, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #4,316 of 8,322
Those pics look pro

Dec 8, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #4,317 of 8,322
Looking to purchase my first set of ZMF Auteur Headphones. Been reading about the various woods on the ZMF website, and how the hardness can slightly change the sound. With the above, I have two questions:

1. When you purchased your Auteurs did you look for a specific wood for "looks" or "sound"? Or did you just purchase what was available?
2. Which wood do you consider the most preferred (if given a choice)?

Thx in advance!

Dave

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #4,318 of 8,322
Looking to purchase my first set of ZMF Auteur Headphones. Been reading about the various woods on the ZMF website, and how the hardness can slightly change the sound. With the above, I have two questions:

1. When you purchased your Auteurs did you look for a specific wood for "looks" or "sound"? Or did you just purchase what was available?

Thx in advance!

Dave

Me personally, was all looks. I believe that @zach915m has said in the past that he recommends purchasing based on looks first since the differences between the woods is pretty slight (usually in the decay, with harder woods having slightly less).

Overall I don’t think you can wrong with any of the woods. One thing to consider that will probably impact your enjoyment of the headphones more than the density is the weight. Some woods can get pretty heavy!

I really like the look of the ambrosia maple stock option on a lot of people’s sets, but the wenge spoke to my dark home setup and my love for minimalist.

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #4,319 of 8,322

Thx in advance!

Dave

My 2 cents on the matter is to just choose the wood you like the look of. There are certainly subtle differences but it is really hard to know what you are going to prefer for your first set. I know a lot of people really prefer the harder woods, but I have found I typically prefer the softer woods as I feel they have a more natural decay/reverb. I think it makes a bigger difference with the closed-back ZMFs. I found I greatly preferred my camphor burl Eikon to my padauk Eikon for example.

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #4,320 of 8,322
I bought my specific ones based on looks. I've had cocobolo and zebrawood ones and couldn't hear any difference, though they have very similar hardness ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back