ZMF Auteur Thread
Oct 13, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #4,142 of 8,327
Any possible weight issues on a zmf headphone can be mitigated by adding either ZmF pilot or Co-Pilot pads to the headband. My VC camphor burl feels so much more lighter after adding a copilot pad. The weight of the cans are evenly distributed thanks to those and as a result, it doesnt feel as heavy.

Oct 13, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #4,143 of 8,327
Awesome, thanks guys! I’m still trying to figure out my Dac/Amp situation. Thankfully I have a few weeks to decide!

Still trying to find a sweet combo for about $1k or so.

Would love to splash down a little more for a Feliks Echo but not sure what kind of DAC is worth upgrading to in the $300-500 range.

Oct 13, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #4,144 of 8,327
Awesome, thanks guys! I’m still trying to figure out my Dac/Amp situation. Thankfully I have a few weeks to decide!

Still trying to find a sweet combo for about $1k or so.

Would love to splash down a little more for a Feliks Echo but not sure what kind of DAC is worth upgrading to in the $300-500 range.

For your price range, you can find a new/used topping d70. It will suit your ZMF headphones really well. As for amp, you can opt for a liquid platinum which being a tube hybrid, will give you plenty of power and tonal variations through tube rolling.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #4,146 of 8,327
Well, if anyone remembers me, I've decided to simply wait on any amp purchase.

I still have yet to really rotate the amps I already have with the Auteurs for one thing. I've only listened to them with the Gilmore Lite Mk2, Woo Audio WA6, and RME ADI-2 DAC FS out. They all sound significantly different, but I'm not sure yet which I like the most, at least for certain types of music. I haven't even done real extensive A/B testing on these yet.

I am tempted by the Liquid Platinum and Espressivo Mark II (really to the point of just buying both and hearing them for myself...or maybe someone can make a compelling case for one, or both, of them to push me over the edge? :grin: ), but I really need to simply get rid of some gear first. I just have too much unused gear lying around since I'm so bad at reselling things since I don't need the funds for more purchases so I'm very unmotivated (and selling used gear is one of those things I simply don't like to do). But this is just stupid having all these extra amps laying around; much less having more come in that might just ultimately sit around unused too after I audition them for a bit.

So thanks again to everyone for the info/advice given, and maybe later (probably next year lol), I will have sold off (or donated) some of my gear and I'll finally try something new out. Then I'll report back on how I find it works with the Auteurs. Hopefully in the meantime I can, with more time off over the holidays, report back with a short break down of how I think the amps I do have sound with the Auteurs.

Bye for now, sorry for the semi-off topic interruption, happy early holidays, and take care of yourselves and each other!

Edit: I should also mention that I really need to get rid of many headphones, because I haven't listened to anything but the Auteur, Arya, and CFA Solaris 2020 in months, or in some cases, years. So although I have other headphones listed, that doesn't mean I still use them and thus I don't care if an amp is good with them or not.

Really at this point I'm only thinking of an amp for the Auteurs since even the Aryas, when I A/B them with the Auteur, it's like "nope" and I'm right back to the Auteur (and the Solaris 2020's are mostly just for portable use and sound just fine, great actually, out of my DX160 or occasionally RME ADI-2 DAC FS).

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #4,147 of 8,327
If you are getting the LP, then i strongly suggest doing the cap mod, especially for your Auteur. I dont have any experience with the Espressivo, but i do have its big brother, the Elise.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #4,148 of 8,327
The Auteur will be noticeably heavier than the HD6XX, for sure. No doubt about that. But I also find the ergonomics on the ZMF phones to be really quite high, and I don't feel the weight in the same onerous way I have with other phones like Audeze, Rosson, etc.

I recently went from HD6XX to the Auteurs. I don't notice a difference in weight between the two. I can listen for two hours and be completely comfortable. I have had other headphones(AKG Q701) make my head feel quite uncomfortable before. FWIW I have a rather large head and a thick neck. Your mileage may vary.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #4,149 of 8,327
If you are getting the LP, then i strongly suggest doing the cap mod, especially for your Auteur. I dont have any experience with the Espressivo, but i do have its big brother, the Elise.

Which do you prefer for the Auteur? The LP or Elise? I would think the Elise would have the same in-house sound as the lower tier models, but this is not always true. Sort of like I would think my Gilmore Lite Mk2 sounds similar to the GS-X Mini.

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #4,150 of 8,327
I only have about 20 hours in my elise with the stock tubes so i cant really make a comment on the performance yet...but the initial impression is stellar. Its full bodied and dynamic. Has a rich high end and a very lush mids. The bass is not extended enough for my taste, but the stock psvane tubes are not known to be bass friendly. Hopefully a little tube rolling will sort it out.

As for the LP, i love this amp. This amp along with my auteur is my most listened to setup to date. Ever since I had the cap mod done, the LP is a different amp. Cap mod + 6922 sylvania D getter or 7308 amperex tubes in the LP is something that will give my elise a run for its money. If youre into tube amps, you cant really go wrong with the LP, considering the price and availability of the tubes. Being a hybrid, it will work with any headphone while the Elise/ Espressivo are OTL so low impedance HP wouldnt be ideal.

Hope this helps...

Best

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #4,151 of 8,327
Thank you shafat777, very helpful! :thumbsup:

I'm tempted to just order the LP and Espressivo Mark II, compare and contrast, and keep which one I like best. It does seem like the LP is the safer bet, but for one thing I just don't like its looks too much, while I love those of the Mark II.

But then, I may like them both equally for different applications and be stuck with still more amps.

Meanwhile, right now I'm listening to the Auteur straight out of the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and it sounds fantastic (although I can tell the sound stage is narrowed, but not claustrophobically so). What more do I need?

Ugh, this silly audiophile perfectionism of mine! :grin: :smile:

I'll wait on any decision for awhile (unless I see a good deal on either amp).

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #4,152 of 8,327
I thought this could be an interesting discussion for this thread, if not a bit out-of-left-field....since, while it does involve the ZMF Auteur, the Audio-Technica ADX5000 isn't much discussed on here. I originally did this (somewhat upon request lol) for another thread that was a discussion of selection of headphones in the roughly $2k price point.

I did an in-depth comparison between the Audio-Technica ADX5000 and ZMF Auteur; two of the best neutral-presentation, open-back headphones on the market, regardless of price. The similarities continue, as both are in the $1,500-2,000 price range and both have dynamic drivers. In the case of the ZMF Auteur, I am comparing with the Zebrawood Limited Edition version (with stock perforated Auteur pads mounted), using the ZMF OFC Copper cable. The ADX5000 is stock cable, stock pads and serial number in the 300s (if my memory serves me correctly). I do not believe in (or, more aptly said, I'm skeptical of and haven't personally experienced) burn-in, but for those who do, both of these headphones have very similar amount of hours on them so this is also not a factor.

The audio chain for this specific comparison is as follows:

Purpose-built (streaming and server core only on Audio-Linux OS) PC → Roon (Tidal and Qobuz) → Chord Qutest DAC → ZMF Pendant Tube Amp (stock JJ tubes) → Custom DIY Headphone (1/4" SE) 4-way switcher (minimalistic passive design, high quality components such as UK-made rotary switch and 20awg Neotech UP-OCC Copper wire) → Headphones

The test tracks for this specific comparison were as follows:

Boz Skaggs - Lowdown (Unplugged) (mid-range, layering, instrument and vocal separation)
Steely Dan - Deacon Blues (incredibly well-produced song, but its particularly good for detail/resolution, mid-range tone and instrument separation)
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing (imaging and soundstage, detail retrieval, good demonstration of well-produced classic rock)
Opeth - Master's Apprentices (low-end/bass impact and slam, handling of highly-compressed Metal)
Portishead - Glory Box (female vocals, prominent bass)

Comparison is broken down by the following:

Bass/Low-End "Impact/Slam":

The ADX5000 brings surprisingly tight, punchy bass. There is enough sub-bass presence where I can literally feel the driver excursion on my ear. Based on expectations, this can come as a bit of a (pleasant) surprise. Auteur has a noticeably warmer presentation to the bass, looser, bloomier; however, bass is not over-done and texture is pleasant. ADX5000 has less bass quantity than Auteur; while bass presence is fuller with the Auteur, it doesn't really have that physical rumble that the ADX5000 has, which leads me to believe that the ADX5000 has deeper extension. Overall, Auteur is a little less punchy; it is a more warm, quantitative bass presence, while ADX5000 has more of a tight, concise, “punch-in-the-gut” bass attack.

Verdict: I prefer the ADX5000 bass attack/slam over the warmer, fuller Auteur presentation, but this is going to be a toss-up based on personal preferences.

Mid-Range/"Tone & Timbre":

Auteur has the male vocals pretty forward in the mix, however, my initial feelings are that the presentation is relaxed, non-fatiguing; perhaps musical in the ability to just lean back and enjoy the music. However, the Auteur presentation is missing some of the “sparkle” or “magic” that I’ve heard in some of these songs; the ADX5000, on the other, is almost immediately bringing a more impressive sound right off the bat that tends to demand your attention more. The ZMF house sound really takes shape here; touches of warmth and (sizeable) presence of additional cup reverb. The ADX5000 is a little dryer, on the surface. With the Auteur, vocals are more pronounced; Auteur really pushes the Mids. Female vocals sound great on both headphones, but they really pop and grab your attention with the ADX5000. Interestingly enough, however, the Auteur on some tracks also brought the vocals (and in some cases, saxophone) too forward in the mix, which actually brought upon some listening fatigue. The ADX5000 consistently presented a more balanced mid-range that I found not pushing anything to the point of nuisance.

Verdict: I preferred the more balanced approach of the ADX5000, particularly with vocals. The star of the show for the Auteur is indeed the Mids and their (most frequent) tendency to have that oft-sought musicality, but I was surprised that their forward-nature left me feeling it was a bit much.

Treble/"Brilliance or Sibilance?":

Treble on both headphones were never fatiguing with any hints of bothersome sibilance or hiss. While the Mids are a little less forward on the ADX5000 than Auteur, the Highs are more noticeable. Between Auteur and ADX5000, ADX5000 has the brighter high-end but not to the point where it screams bright. Elements of a more overtly brilliant treble presentation was noticeable with the ADX5000 that, once again, had it presenting as more impressive, more attention-grabbing than the Auteur. Treble is somewhat muted with the Auteur but not as much so as other models in the ZMF stable.

Verdict: ADX5000 has a heightened sense of air, ambiance, openness that is a result of a more brilliant, pronounced high-end. I don’t find either headphone to have overly bright treble. Overall, I am more impressed by ADX5000’s more showy treble style.

Resolution/Separation/Detail Retrieval:

ADX5000 can pull out some of the tiny details, like the vocalists' closing of lips after finishing a word or the guitarist's fingers first contact with the string. With ADX5000, the balance between guitars, vocals and drums is very well done; separation of instruments, vocals, and vocal layers is borderline elite. Ultimately, Auteur is just pulling out less of these micro-details and passages sound a little busier and more congested on the Auteur as opposed to the ADX5000. Clarity of layered vocal parts is greater on the ADX5000, making the presentation of (female) backing vocals quite nice. Everything is truly well-separated and enunciated in the mix with the ADX5000, slightly less so with the Auteur.

Verdict: ADX5000 handily wins with respect to these types of technicalities, bringing an excellent level of detail retrieval and overall resolution of sound that Auteur isn’t capable of.

Staging & Imaging:

ADX5000 has a slightly wider soundstage than Auteur, but the ADX5000 brings a “5-rows-from-the-stage” live feel, while the Auteur has a bit more decay, a bit more cup reverb that has it sounding more towards the back rows than 5-10 rows out from the stage. ADX5000 makes you really feel the panning inherit in a recording, more pronounced, perhaps for some this will reflect accurate imaging, but for others it might be a tad exaggerated. It is not up there with a well-positioned two-channel stereo system but it is closer to that standard than what the Auteur brings. At times, the Auteur’s imaging, particularly with center-stage voices and instrument solos, seemed to not have that dead-on accuracy that the ADX5000 was more capable of. The instrumental balance and separation helped lend a superior sense of stereo imaging with the ADX5000 over the Auteur.

Verdict: ADX5000 is bringing out the "live-in-the-room" feel that presents a very true-to-form staging experience. Auteur is no slouch, but certainly more intimate with less ambiance. ADX5000 wins here, for my preferences.

Conclusion:
As noted in the introduction, both headphones are cream-of-the-crop when it comes to open-back, neutral-tuned examples. I came into this comparison having a roughly equal preference for either, truly enjoying my time thus far with both. Ultimately, I am a tad surprised by how the ADX5000 bested the Auteur in almost every category, but at this time, that seems to be the only conclusion I can draw from my time with them over this comparison. Where the Auteur excels is in its ability to allow the listener an enjoyable, laid-back experience, a distinctly “headphone” experience in all of its intimacy and slight flourishes of warmth. Where the ADX5000 excels is in its near-absolute realism, it’s ability to present music in a way that’s closer to the “live” experience than perhaps any other I have heard; the air, ambiance, the fast attack that puts you a few rows from the stage of a well-produced, well-balanced show.

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #4,153 of 8,327
Your "review" reads like a advertisement. I guess if your preference is for shouty headphones, the ADX5K is just about perfect, eh?

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #4,154 of 8,327
Your "review" reads like a advertisement. I guess if your preference is for shouty headphones, the ADX5K is just about perfect, eh?

I actually quite enjoy my Auteur extensively, which is why the outcome of this was a tad surprising, but I'll apologize if my "review" offended your sensibilities with a differing opinion.

Assuming based on your comment that you've owned an ADX5000, what's your comparisons of it with the Auteur? Would love to hear some more opinions on that direct comparison.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #4,155 of 8,327
I actually quite enjoy my Auteur extensively, which is why the outcome of this was a tad surprising, but I'll apologize if my "review" offended your sensibilities with a differing opinion.

Assuming based on your comment that you've owned an ADX5000, what's your comparisons of it with the Auteur? Would love to hear some more opinions on that direct comparison.
Yeah, I had one in my system for a few days. Returned it to my friend rather quickly. Glad he let me borrow it. Experience is the best teacher.

As far as what I thought of it... uncomfortable and shouty sum it up nicely. I think if that's the kind of sound you're after, the Clear and Utopia are far better. I'm not a soundstage fanatic, but I will agree the 5K does it better than all of the above. It's about the only thing I think it does better, honestly. Might a make good (if exorbitantly overpriced) gaming headset?

Edit - Hey, I reread my post and can see how it might have been taken as a bit snide. Not my intention. I appreciate you taking the time to post it. My preferences just don't align here it seems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back