ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 29, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #2,071 of 8,365
I ended up ordering an auteur and atticus lol. I'll listen to both and hopefully will sell 1 of them (or my bank account is #$!%%!^!)

:D

Good luck finding the strength to sell one.

Jul 29, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #2,072 of 8,365
Good luck finding the strength to sell one.

LOL... ya i haven't seen a ton of auteur sales by Atticus I have.

But I agree the pull is going to be strong to keep them both despite having HD800 + 650 combo already. :\

Jul 30, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #2,073 of 8,365
LOL... ya i haven't seen a ton of auteur sales by Atticus I have.

But I agree the pull is going to be strong to keep them both despite having HD800 + 650 combo already. :\

Haha I have Auteur, Atticus, HD800, and HD6XX in my stable right now (among many others). Those are all great headphones with different strengths, keep them all!

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #2,074 of 8,365
Haha I have Auteur, Atticus, HD800, and HD6XX in my stable right now (among many others). Those are all great headphones with different strengths, keep them all!

LOL... RIP my wallet brother.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #2,075 of 8,365
Eulogy read for the dear departed recently deceased wallet? =^) Condolences...

Just bot Gilmore Lite Mark 2, want Auteur, Atticus, and LCD4Z. And eventually want to end up with Yggy and GSX Mark 2. Of course will then need another Norne balanced cable as mine are SE.

It never does end.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #2,076 of 8,365
I am wondering almost all Auteur owners have or came from Atticus but there's next to none mentioned on Eikon... Are there reasons why people steer clear of Eikon for Atticus?

I'm one coming from an Eikon Padauk to an Auteur Blackwood. The reason for changing is the comfort on my head and Auteur's openness in regard to the Eikon.
Yes the Eikon still is more sub-bass focused and has better isolation but it had a slight peak in the upper mids lower treble (with my gear at least). The Auteur however is smoother with a more effortless sound and that fits exactly my bill :)

On another note: I'm moving from the iDSD BL to a more stationary setup. Will the Audio-GD R2R-11 be a better substitute? Never heard a R2R ladder DAC.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #2,077 of 8,365
Quick poll (without an actual poll). Who among you would consider the Auteur as your ‘desert island’ or endgame headphone?

If not, why not, and what music do you listen to that you think would be better served with a second or different headphone.

Just stirring the pot for myself because having reached ‘endgame’ with my three headphones and all-in-one amp/dac, I recently heard the Auteur and can’t shake the feeling life would be so much simpler if I could just reach for one perfect headphone that does it all.

Keep in mind, I have an LCD-3F, which has always been my aspirational headphone, and if I were to get an Auteur it would be at the cost of the LCD...

Also keep in mind I have no intention of getting a tube amp. Solid state R2R is what I have and what I’m keeping.

Right, enough from me. Over to you.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #2,078 of 8,365
Quick poll (without an actual poll). Who among you would consider the Auteur as your ‘desert island’ or endgame headphone?

If not, why not, and what music do you listen to that you think would be better served with a second or different headphone.

Just stirring the pot for myself because having reached ‘endgame’ with my three headphones and all-in-one amp/dac, I recently heard the Auteur and can’t shake the feeling life would be so much simpler if I could just reach for one perfect headphone that does it all.

Keep in mind, I have an LCD-3F, which has always been my aspirational headphone, and if I were to get an Auteur it would be at the cost of the LCD...

Also keep in mind I have no intention of getting a tube amp. Solid state R2R is what I have and what I’m keeping.

It’s my desert island headphone for sitting at home and listening. If I could only have one headphone for everything though, it would have to be an IEM, since you can use them at the gym, on a plane or in the office.

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #2,079 of 8,365
It’s my desert island headphone for sitting at home and listening. If I could only have one headphone for everything though, it would have to be an IEM, since you can use them at the gym, on a plane or in the office.
Thanks, I forgot to mention it would be for listening exclusively at home, at a desk. That’s mainly how I listen to music on headphones. When I’m traveling I have IEMs.

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #2,080 of 8,365

How do you like auteur vs lcd3f

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #2,082 of 8,365
Thanks, I forgot to mention it would be for listening exclusively at home, at a desk. That’s mainly how I listen to music on headphones. When I’m traveling I have IEMs.
Wait, you have a home with a desk on your desert island. All I have is a palapa and a hammock :)

I have an issue creating a desert island setup, I probably want to run the whole thing out of a DAP -- specifically, my Cowon Plenue 2. But it doesn't really drive my Auteur perfectly. So that makes me lean towards Utopia, even though Auteur is my 'Goldilocks' headphone. Auteur also loses desert island points for being a bit heavy, and especially a bit warm for use in the tropics (where my island is located).

But if you put me on a desert island (say) off the Alaska panhandle and with room for a full-sized rig, then it's Auteur all day.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2,083 of 8,365
Wait, you have a home with a desk on your desert island. All I have is a palapa and a hammock :)

I have an issue creating a desert island setup, I probably want to run the whole thing out of a DAP -- specifically, my Cowon Plenue 2. But it doesn't really drive my Auteur perfectly. So that makes me lean towards Utopia, even though Auteur is my 'Goldilocks' headphone. Auteur also loses desert island points for being a bit heavy, and especially a bit warm for use in the tropics (where my island is located).

But if you put me on a desert island (say) off the Alaska panhandle and with room for a full-sized rig, then it's Auteur all day.
Haha, yes, let's just say it's a magical desert island with a desk (and air-conditioning). So you reckon you'd take an Auteur over the Utopia? I like the idea of a "Goldilocks" headphone; currently the Elear and LCD-3 perform that role quite well (the Elear on a daily basis). Each bring their own flavour but are at most slightly warm of neutral and not too dark that I'm struggling for air up top. And both know how to do bass like it should be done. My quest is to find out if the Auteur can take the place of BOTH these headphones, leaving the Atticus to do duty as the unashamedly coloured complement.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #2,084 of 8,365
Right now my go-to headphones are LCD-X. From what I have read, it sounds like the Auteur would sound somewhat similar to the X. If I could have only one it would definitely be the X, not having heard Atticus or Auteur at all.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #2,085 of 8,365
...you reckon you'd take an Auteur over the Utopia?...
(resisting an almost uncontrollable urge to begin my reply with 'Well, padna, I reckon if'n I had to choose...')

Seriously, I like both headphones. But I'm gonna be kicking back on my desert island. And while Auteur can get close to Utopia on detail, Utopia doesn't get as close to Auteur on musicality. Utopia is just going to be too much work @ 5:15 with my first rum-infused beverage washing over me.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back