ZMF Auteur Thread
Mar 14, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #916 of 8,329
Keep the reviews coming....Since no one is complaining...I am assuming that comfort is not an issue.

Especially interested in hearing from those that are using SS to drive them.

Bern

I have used it with the Wells Milo, Cavalli Liquid Carbon and the Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2 - it excelled with all of them.

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #917 of 8,329
Nice impressions.

I'm really surprised to hear you say, the Auteur is close to the Utopia in dynamics and detail. From the stuff i heard, that's not the impression i was given....interresting. Now i really can't wait to get mine. Unfortunately it will be quite a while, so i'll just have to enjoy reading other people's thoughts until then.

My Sonica DAC is Sabre 9038-based, so my chain is probably on the detailed/analytical side.

Also, I picked the Blackwood over the Teak because I got the sense that wood might help with detail. I think this snippet from Paco Taco's review:
...Things the HD800 does better:

1) Microdetail: The HD800 is still the King. The Auteur gets incredibly close, closer than you’d think, but the HD800 is still the king of this hill...

accurately summarizes my feeling about the Auteur in this area.

From another review:
...Not on the level of Sennheiser 800 but better than a lot of other Top of the Line open backs. I feel like if someone was wanting more resolution than their Eikon and more apparent details then the Auteur would satisfy...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #918 of 8,329
I have used it with the Wells Milo, Cavalli Liquid Carbon and the Headamp Gilmore Lite MK2 - it excelled with all of them.
My Blackwood Auteur is in the assembly stage right now, I've been eyeballing the new run of Cavalli Liquid Carbon on Massdrop, I'd be interested in detailed impressions of the pairing.

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #919 of 8,329
Keep the reviews coming....Since no one is complaining...I am assuming that comfort is not an issue.

Especially interested in hearing from those that are using SS to drive them.

Bern

I don't find it heavy at all, but think this may vary from person to person. My LCD2's which are the same weight feel alot heavier. It does move a little bit if you move your head around

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #920 of 8,329
the teak with black alu should be the lightest combination and blackwood with brass should be the heaviest, right? I wonder how much weight difference there is between those 2. It's something to take into consideration, when asking about the comfort, if there is a significant weight difference.

Now that i think about it. The teak version does not have the brass option at all.

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #921 of 8,329
My Blackwood Auteur is in the assembly stage right now, I've been eyeballing the new run of Cavalli Liquid Carbon on Massdrop, I'd be interested in detailed impressions of the pairing.

I don't see a new LCX run on Massdrop. Are you referring to the one they did a while ago that just shipped?

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #923 of 8,329

Detailed impressions? What exactly are you looking to find out? Ask some specific questions and I'll try to give you some specific answers.

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #924 of 8,329
As I read this thread I honestly feel more warm and fuzzy about my Auteur Blackwood purchase than ever.

I am upgrading the system substantially to improve the front end! Need to get everything possible out of them! Preparing for their arrival!

Very exciting...its my Audio Xmas in March !!!!
Oh this will be good.. very, very, good!:):gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #925 of 8,329
Here's to hoping that I haven't pooed the scrooch. I joined in on the drop for the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid. The alternative that I have been considering is the Schiit Jotunheim. Yes, I know that the tube lovers will be screaming that solid state does not do the Auteur justice, but I feel that it suits my preference for a neutral sound. The CTH will give a little tube flavor at the expence of a little loss of detail and control at the top and bottom ends. On the other hand, it is also $150 cheaper on my already strained budget.

CTH will be here soon, and burning in, awaiting the arrival of my Auteurs - one of the finest headphones that money can buy. Thanks Zach, I can't wait to hear them.

I have read that the MCTH is a great match for the Atticus, I am hoping that it will at least be a good match for the Auteur. That said, I welcome comments about these and other (basically neutral) budget amp matches for the Auteur.

J.P.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #926 of 8,329
Here's to hoping that I haven't pooed the scrooch. I joined in on the drop for the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid. The alternative that I have been considering is the Schiit Jotunheim. Yes, I know that the tube lovers will be screaming that solid state does not do the Auteur justice, but I feel yhat is suits my preference for a neutral sound. The CTH will give a little tube flavor at the expence of a little loss of detail and control at the too and bottom ends. On the other hand, it is also $150 cheaper on my already strained budget.

CTH will be here soon, and burning in, awaiting the arrival of my Auteurs - one of the finest headphones that money can buy. Thanks Zach, I can't wait to hear them.

I have read that the MCTH is a great match for the Atticus, I am hoping that it will at least be a good match for the Auteur. That said, I welcome comments about these and other (basically neutral) budget amp matches for the Auteur.

J.P.

The MCTH is a great match for the Auteur. The mids are really nice and there is a good bit of air in the treble, which I really like. I have been using it quite a bit because I really just dig the tone.

Another budget priced solid state option that I would definitely go with over Jotunheim is the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2, which might be the best sounding solid state amp under $1,000. It basically sounds exactly like the GSX, it just doesn’t have as much power. With a headphone like Auteur, that doesn’t matter much.

I’ve basically been trading off between that and the MCTH a lot lately- MCTH is very sweet sounding with amazing mids, and the Gilmore Lite Mk2 is very by-the-numbers accurate- solid state done right.

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #927 of 8,329
Has anyone compared these with Hifiman Edition X v2? I'm super interested in these cans, but I have no way to demo them where I live. From description, they seem roughly similar in that they are both warm side of neutral with great tone density and a spacious 3D soundstage. Could anyone elaborate if they've heard both?

Mar 19, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #928 of 8,329
Has anyone compared these with Hifiman Edition X v2? I'm super interested in these cans, but I have no way to demo them where I live. From description, they seem roughly similar in that they are both warm side of neutral with great tone density and a spacious 3D soundstage. Could anyone elaborate if they've heard both?

Don't have/haven't heard HEX, but ...

I would not call the Auteur soundstage spacious. Definitely 3D, and very precise/detailed.

I do have HEKv2. I would call the Auteur soundstage better but smaller vs HEK. For me, the 'that instrument is right there' soundstage of the Auteur trumps the 'that instrument is somewhere way over there' soundstage of the HEK.

Auteur is more neutral (less warm) than HEK. Also more impactful and detailed, less smooth/mellow.

All impressions via these chains:

PC ==> Eitr ==> Oppo Sonica DAC/Denafrips Pontus ==> Violectric V280/Bryston BHA-1

Hope that helps.

Mar 19, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #929 of 8,329
Been enjoying my Teak Auteur.. they sound very natural to me, good pairing with tube amp and NOS DAC.

20180319_091327_001.jpg

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #930 of 8,329
Can someone suggest a few tracks that can help me with instrument separation? What I am hearing seems to be a blob of music on the left, and another blob of music on the right, vocals in my face. When I adjust the volume knob so vocals are at a listenable level, instruments seem to disappear. I must be doing something wrong, or need different material to hear what the Autuer is capable of. Bass heavy tracks can sound V shaped to me, on my familiar tracks. When I turn the volume up, vocals dominate everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back