ZMF Auteur Thread
Oct 22, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #7,936 of 8,464
Auteur vs Aeolus, I need opinions. I have the Aeolus but I want to understand how it compares to the og Auteur. Any opinions on the subjet are appreciated.
Auteur has more bass extention (not as much mid bass quantity though), more mids (at least upper mids), and I would say is more balanced overall. I have the OG though. Female vocals are rather intimate on the Auteur.

Aeolus is the punchier headphone of the two. I would say Aeolus leans on a more fun sound. Autuer is meant to be ZMFs natural sounding neutral headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #7,937 of 8,464
Classics or og? I appreciate your input, got a trade offer for a limited Wenge og Auteur and am considering it. Aeolus is my first as well, haven't tried anything else in their lineup.
I have the OG, but I’ve also tried the Classics for a week at home. I think the differences I mentioned vs the Aeolus are true of either iteration. The Classics are a bit more technically proficient than the OG, but the OGs have their charms as well.

Oct 22, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #7,938 of 8,464
I have the OG, but I’ve also tried the Classics for a week at home. I think the differences I mentioned vs the Aeolus are true of either iteration. The Classics are a bit more technically proficient than the OG, but the OGs have their charms as well.
I will say the differences between OG and the Classic once I get mine in. But from what I have seen others say @mformoriarty that above is the case and a slightly changed sound signature. Apparently the upper mids are a bit less on the classics. But I can't say for sure until I get mine. I try not to say too much unless I have heard/owned a headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #7,939 of 8,464
I was able to score a used Merason Frerot DAC recently, eager to see how much it improves over BF2.

OK, at least some quick thoughts, as I took acquisition of this on Friday.

First, amps are Geshelli Archel 3 Pro and Feliks Echo II with Bel NOS ECC88 driver tubes (stock power tubes). All feeding an OG Auteur.

I was coming from a Bifrost 2 OG.

The Merason Frerot, in my view, is an unambiguous upgrade. The most immediate thing one will notice is a massive increase in staging. Listening to orchestral recordings, particularly symphonies, for the first time I really feel like I’m sitting in the concert hall (something for which I have a lot of experience).

There’s no loss of capability anywhere else, and in fact I think that this DAC brings even more clarity and musicality than the BF2. I feel like bass extension is better. In fact it covers the entire spectrum better. It’s easily the best DAC I’ve ever heard (that’s not saying much though haha).

Like @Monsterzero said, this is very much an “in your face” DAC. If there’s any slight concern it’s that it really brings out the Auteur’s frequency response, so on some tracks I felt it was running hot in the upper mids, sometimes bordering on shouty. I would think there could be favorable amp pairings that might mitigate that somewhat.

If you’re a classical music lover, if this DAC is within your budget I would unequivocally and wholeheartedly recommend it for an absolutely massive gain in your listening experience.

Mark me as an extremely happy camper. Thanks @Monsterzero for introducing me to this company and its DAC line.

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #7,940 of 8,464
If you’re a classical music lover, if this DAC is within your budget I would unequivocally and wholeheartedly recommend it for an absolutely massive gain in your listening experience.
Even though I can't say I'm a big classical music listener, you've still got me pretty excited to try one of these myself.

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #7,941 of 8,464
There's this magical place I got them called Ross Dress For Less. If you boys wanna go and then hit up the Red Robin across the street then it's a date.

Yeah, you would have to go to Ross first. You need the unlimited fries afterward to take the sadness away.

Oct 23, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #7,942 of 8,464
Even though I can't say I'm a big classical music listener, you've still got me pretty excited to try one of these myself.
Fret not, the Merason DAC 1 is at home with any genre.
Mark me as an extremely happy camper. Thanks @Monsterzero for introducing me to this company and its DAC line
Yeah, when my trusted audio dealer initially mentioned Merason to me, my reaction was "mera-what"? He is a huge classical guy, and he knows I'm more of a rock/metal/folk/Americana guy. When I asked him if this DAC was too slow for faster genres, his response was "Don't worry, this DAC moves". Indeed it does.

Merason gear can be quite hard to find in the states. If you're in the market for a new DAC, Constatin does do in-home demos occasionally. He is one of only a few Merason dealers in the US.

https://www.atelier13-usa.com/

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #7,944 of 8,464
Auteur vs Aeolus, I need opinions. I have the Aeolus but I want to understand how it compares to the og Auteur. Any opinions on the subjet are appreciated.
I think of the difference like this:

With the Aeolus, you're deep inside the music, everything is so immediate and relaxed and intense at the same time, and the lines blur and the warmth obscures some details, but there's still a clarity and bite, and none of it matters anyway because of how directly it connects you with the music (with og bopp mesh and Aeolus lambskin pads).

With the Auteur (Classic), you're sitting in the audience and admiring each part of the ensemble from a slight distance, relaxing back in your chair. You admire the tone and distinctness of the bass, the vocal nuances and naturalness, the presence and timbre of a guitar pluck and reverberant thwack of a snare drum. There's less bass elevation, but more impact. Less immediacy, but more space. Less warmth, but more texture and tactility.

Just some vague impressions to add to the more well thought-out comments :)

Oct 24, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #7,945 of 8,464

With the Aeolus, you're deep inside the music, everything is so immediate and relaxed and intense at the same time, and the lines blur and the warmth obscures some details, but there's still a clarity and bite, and none of it matters anyway because of how directly it connects you with the music (with og bopp mesh and Aeolus lambskin pads).

With the Auteur (Classic), you're sitting in the audience and admiring each part of the ensemble from a slight distance, relaxing back in your chair. You admire the tone and distinctness of the bass, the vocal nuances and naturalness, the presence and timbre of a guitar pluck and reverberant thwack of a snare drum. There's less bass elevation, but more impact. Less immediacy, but more space. Less warmth, but more texture and tactility.

Can't wait to test this as my AuCl is coming later this week!

Well, of course it won't be the same as the mesh and the pads on my Aeolus are pretty different and so my Aeolus is already tilted towards neutral compared to the one described in your post.

Still, i'm very curious to compare the AuCl to the Aeolus and to the HE1000 Stealth.

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #7,946 of 8,464

Dude, you are making me want to hear an Aeolus now (after dismissing it as a "lesser" ZMF).

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #7,947 of 8,464
Dude, you are making me want to hear an Aeolus now (after dismissing it as a "lesser" ZMF).
Haha I was listening to them last night when I was writing these impressions. They’re probably my favorite ZMF behind the Caldera. Auteur Classic comes next.

I haven’t heard a new production Aeolus yet though. I know Zach changed the number of holes in the baffle when he switched to Universe lambskin as the stock pads, so maybe I’d like the “new” stock Aeolus more than my 2020 pair with Universe pads. I really didn’t like the newer mesh on mine either, even though it was a subtle difference. Anyway…thoughts for the Aeolus thread perhaps!

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #7,948 of 8,464
A little morning eye candy.

Attachments

• IMG_5467.jpeg
    IMG_5467.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Oct 24, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #7,950 of 8,464
My Auteur Classic should be arriving tomorrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back