ZMF Auteur Thread
Oct 18, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #7,891 of 8,457
Unpopular opinion--the Bifrost 2 is not a good match at all for ZMF headphones. It slows down the headphone a lot. I only found this out when my Bifrost 2 had an issue which led me to sending it in to Schiit for repair. I haven't heard the Auteur OG with the Jotunheim 2 without the Bifrost 2 but I did hear the Auteur OG with the Eufonika amp (which I still own). I was shocked when I heard the difference. I was wondering "where has this sound been the whole time?". The slowness and restraint were gone! It sounded like a totally different headphone. I assumed the issue must have been the Jotunheim. But when I received the Bifrost 2 back, I paired it with the Eufonika and hated it. It dulled everything. So the problem was most likely not the Jotunheim, it was the Bifrost. I have the Gustard R26 which is more expensive than the Bifrost 2 but superior in every way (it is more on the clear, neutral side so you may want to pair it with slightly warmer tubes).
• The higher output impedance of the Eufonika is a better match to the ‘nominal’ 300-ohm impedance of Auteur OG.
• In my case, I much prefer Woo WA3 (OTL, ~ 110 ohms), Beyerdynamic A20 (SS, 100 ohms) over LTA MZ3 (ZOTL, 2 ohms) for driving Auteur OG - or other ZMF dynamic driver headphones 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #7,893 of 8,457
I was able to score a used Merason Frerot DAC recently, eager to see how much it improves over BF2.
I'd be really interested to hear your impressions on it. I'm pretty sure my next upgrade will be to a Frerot.

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #7,894 of 8,457
When climbing up the audio ladder, the view above is the arse of another climber! 😳🤣🤣

I own Auteurs OG and Atriums. I love the purity and tonal balance of Auteur; I love the layering and soundstage of Atrium. These fine attributes exist in both headphones; each headphone ‘lures’ me with different ‘bait’.
Honestly, I'm considering selling my LTD Atrium (largely due to extenuating circumstances) and repurchasing an OG Auteur. The Auteur tonality is just sexy as hell! The Atrium's are great but just drier by comparison.

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #7,895 of 8,457
I was able to score a used Merason Frerot DAC recently, eager to see how much it improves over BF2.
If the Frerot is anything like its big brother, the DAC 1, and I have it on good authority that they share the same house sound, you should notice a very fast, incisive, intense and powerfully dynamic DAC with a pretty massive stage. This is not a "laid back" DAC.

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #7,896 of 8,457
Honestly, I'm considering selling my LTD Atrium (largely due to extenuating circumstances) and repurchasing an OG Auteur. The Auteur tonality is just sexy as hell! The Atrium's are great but just drier by comparison.
I think that if you try Atrium with a higher output impedance h/p/a, the dryness (over-damping) will be remedied. With its rear damping system, for soundstage portrayal, Atrium may be sensitive to the overdamping of its drivers by a low impedance headphone amplifier.

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #7,897 of 8,457
I think that if you try Atrium with a higher output impedance h/p/a, the dryness (over-damping) will be remedied. With its rear damping system, for soundstage portrayal, Atrium may be sensitive to the overdamping of its drivers by a low impedance headphone amplifier.
Thanks, I will consider this. Any specific recommendations?

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #7,898 of 8,457
Unpopular opinion--the Bifrost 2 is not a good match at all for ZMF headphones. It slows down the headphone a lot. I only found this out when my Bifrost 2 had an issue which led me to sending it in to Schiit for repair. I haven't heard the Auteur OG with the Jotunheim 2 without the Bifrost 2 but I did hear the Auteur OG with the Eufonika amp (which I still own). I was shocked when I heard the difference. I was wondering "where has this sound been the whole time?". The slowness and restraint were gone! It sounded like a totally different headphone. I assumed the issue must have been the Jotunheim. But when I received the Bifrost 2 back, I paired it with the Eufonika and hated it. It dulled everything. So the problem was most likely not the Jotunheim, it was the Bifrost. I have the Gustard R26 which is more expensive than the Bifrost 2 but superior in every way (it is more on the clear, neutral side so you may want to pair it with slightly warmer tubes).
Oh man - now I wonder if I need to replace BOTH Schiit pieces! I just want a simple setup to hear my Auteurs at their best. This hobby really is a killer.

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #7,899 of 8,457
The Auteur tonality is just sexy as hell! The Atrium's are great but just drier by comparison.
I hear this on Atriums I’ve tried as well. I would likely need a tube roll to get it closer to what I love about the Auteur Classic, but I’m not sure it would ever get there.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #7,900 of 8,457
Thanks, I will consider this. Any specific recommendations?
• Note that there is a whole thread “(Un)official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones” which you should scroll.
Some ideas from me: Beyerdynamic A20 (SS), Feliks Audio Euforia (OTL tube), Icon Audio HP8 Signature (OTC tube), Woo WA2 (OTL tube), Woo WA3 (OTL Tube), Woo WA6 (OTC tube) …

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #7,901 of 8,457
• Note that there is a whole thread “(Un)official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones” which you should scroll.
Some ideas from me: Beyerdynamic A20 (SS), Feliks Audio Euforia (OTL tube), Icon Audio HP8 Signature (OTC tube), Woo WA2 (OTL tube), Woo WA3 (OTL Tube), Woo WA6 (OTC tube) …
The Euforia is an absolute treat with ZMFs

Oct 18, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #7,902 of 8,457
Oh man - now I wonder if I need to replace BOTH Schiit pieces! I just want a simple setup to hear my Auteurs at their best. This hobby really is a killer.
Luckily for you, Schiit has great name recognition within the hobby, so if you do end up having to move on from both Schiit pieces it will be quite easy to sell them.
To be clear, I'm not suggesting you have to sell them to enjoy your system, but 95% of this hobby is system synergy IME.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #7,903 of 8,457
Oct 19, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #7,904 of 8,457
I have updated my Auteurs to Classic and am using them with a Schiit stack - Bifrost 2 and Jotunheim 2. They don't sound good at all to me. Congested. No clarity. Compressed and lacking dynamics. I also have a pair of Hifiman Arya Stealth that sound very good. I just compared Kid A on both and it was night and day. The big differences are clarity, separation, stage and dynamics (basically everything).

Zach has told me the Auteur/Jotunheim isn't a good amp pairing due to it's low output impedance. While I enjoy the Aryas, I am a diehard ZMF fan. I WANT to listen to their headphones - hand-made, beautiful, great personal service, small company etc. Here are my options:

1. New amp - Anything that can rescue the Auteurs? I know everyone will recommend tubes, but I'm looking for improved clarity, not more warmth.
2. New ZMF model - but guessing no other ZMFs will be well driven on my Jotunheim Are others going to elevate my amp on the clarity front?
3. Both - not really financially possible.

Would love to get opinions on finding a great ZMF solution.
FWIW, I run my Auteur Classic off a Jot2 and I think they sound great. However, I'm using Modi 3 (neutral) as a DAC. I'm given to understand Bifrost 2 is a warmer, "meatier" DAC that may complement your Arya better. (Not the kind of DAC I'm interested in, in any case - I had the OG Bimby and it sounded horrible to me.)

Unfortunately, no solution you find is going to make Auteur more technically capable than Arya in the areas you describe. "Separation" and "clarity" figure much more in Dr. Fang's tuning process, I think, than Zach's, which favors good timbre and microdynamics (I think - my opinion). I don't think the Auteur is very lacking on the separation and clarity fronts, but if you've gotten accustomed to the very quick, diffuse Hifiman sound you may perceive them that way.

I have both an Auteur and an Arya and I find myself listening to the Auteur a bit more often (Arya is a bit bright for me, and I prefer the Auteur's timbre) but for music that demands a wide-open soundstage or very quick transients, like most electronic music, I prefer the Arya. I think the two complement each other very well.

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #7,905 of 8,457
So it seems the advice to switch out the Bifrost 2 was bang on! I moved my Jot2 over to my main 2channel system, which includes a Denafrips Venus 2 DAC. Problem solved! - Thanks @Tshiknn for the prompt. I'm sure I can still do much better than the Jot, so I'm thinking of finding a new headamp that comes with a remote and incorporating it into the main system (Luxman L-595 integrated, Denafrips Venus 2, Lumin U2 Mini). I just need to figure out how to connect the headamp to the integrated. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back