ZMF Auteur Thread
May 7, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #7,606 of 8,439
EDM…IDM… I much prefer ECM (which happens to sound great on the Auteur Classic!

May 7, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #7,607 of 8,439
I'm considering getting an upgrade cable for my Auteur OG as I've heard that the stock cable might not be the best at bring out the full potential of this headphone. While I don't have any real issue with the stock cable per se since I already think that my Auteur sounds very good as it is I'm quite curious to hear what a good value for money upgrade cable can really do in terms of improving the sound quality. I think that Norne Audio and Forza Audioworks are two of the most popular brands that are usually recommended (or perhaps a ZMF Silver or Copper cable as well?). For those of you who have had experience with any cable from either of these cable makers which one(s) would you suggest might be a good fit for the Auteur?

I'd be most interested to know what the differences (tonality, resolve, staging/imaging etc...) might be between the Norne Drausk/Drausk Lite or Vygarde and the Forza Claire or Noir Hybrid.

Thanks very much for sharing, it would be great to hear everyone's thoughts on what their favorite upgrade cables might be for this excellent ZMF.
Hello,
I have ordered the Lektik C to go with the Atrium open.
It arrived on Friday and I won't be able to tell you anything until both have more than 200 hours on them.

What I tried with the Auteur OG was the Audeze cable, which is included with the Lcd 2 C.
This is also a pure copper cable and I found that it played much more refined with the Auteur.
I noticed the same thing with the Lcd 2 when I switched back to the silver on the original cable.
The Audeze cable I mean does something to their headphones and I noticed the same with the Auteur OG.
It is a good cable where you can even recommend without hesitation and the price is still within reason.

I personally tend to go back to copper in the entire chain.
I don't know why, but it's much more refined, a little warmer and perhaps more forgiving in general.
The silver is a little too flat, less refined and unnecessarily dissolving.
Could be a bit of the Gustard R26 Dac though as it brings so much to the table that makes a cable upgrade to silver unnecessary.

May 13, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #7,610 of 8,439
May 13, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #7,611 of 8,439
May 13, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #7,612 of 8,439
Yes! I knew there had to be some other jazz heads on here that would get it.
Right on! I love that record label. Have you checked out Dominic Miller's newest record for ECM? I highly recommend if you haven't!

I've listened to it on my Verite Closed and enjoyed it, but am looking to eventually buy an Auteur.

May 13, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #7,613 of 8,439
Yes! I knew there had to be some other jazz heads on here that would get it.
ECM stands for Edition of Contemporary Music. The producer / founder is Manfred Eicher. If the recording / mastering is done by Jan Erik Konshaug (many are), excellence is guaranteed.

May 13, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #7,614 of 8,439
Right on! I love that record label. Have you checked out Dominic Miller's newest record for ECM? I highly recommend if you haven't!

I've listened to it on my Verite Closed and enjoyed it, but am looking to eventually buy an Auteur.
Yes that Miller. Record is excellent!

May 17, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #7,615 of 8,439
Has anyone tried the new Caldera Ultra Perforated Lambskin pads on their OG Auteur? I know some Atrium owners are liking those pads. @zach915m, have you tried that combo by chance?

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #7,616 of 8,439
Has anyone tried the new Caldera Ultra Perforated Lambskin pads on their OG Auteur? I know some Atrium owners are liking those pads. @zach915m, have you tried that combo by chance?
I really like the Caldera pads on our open backed headphones in the ultra perf format, I wouldn't use the regular non ultra perf ones unless you want a big bass boost.

It provides an option with the Caldera pad feel that's between the stock pad and Be2 usually and that's where it sits with the auteur as well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 17, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #7,617 of 8,439
VO with Ultra perforated lambskin pads is a very good option too😉

May 17, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #7,618 of 8,439
I really like the Caldera pads on our open backed headphones in the ultra perf format, I wouldn't use the regular non ultra perf ones unless you want a big bass boost.

It provides an option with the Caldera pad feel that's between the stock pad and Be2 usually and that's where it sits with the auteur as well.
Sounds like it’s worth a listen! My go to pad on the OG Auteur is the Eikon Suede these days, so we’ll see if the Caldera Ultra Perf can dethrone those. Thanks for the info, @zach915m!

May 17, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #7,619 of 8,439
Hello,

Can try the Ultra on my OG this weekend.
I ordered it together with the Atrium.
Then I can tell you how it is.

May 17, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #7,620 of 8,439
Hello,

Can try the Ultra on my OG this weekend.
I ordered it together with the Atrium.
Then I can tell you how it is.
That will be very helpful, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back