ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 5, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #7,546 of 8,447
I'm not sure if you were replying to me, but how can I tell if it is OK to swap out my 6SN7 tubes for 6v6? I am new to the tube game.
Yes, I answered them,😊

If your tube amp allows you to go from 6v6 to 6sn7 with adapters, it might be worth a try.

The 6v6 have the same voltage rating and need slightly less amps than the 6SN7.
Nothing should stand in the way.

Check with the manufacturer of your tube amp to see if it would be possible to run/support it with an adapter.

If so, you know what to do if you want it,😉.

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #7,547 of 8,447
had this headphone with me as part of loaner from super friends and now all other headphones sound broken to me. JAR650 out of OTL brings the mids closer to Auteur classic but still that last bit of magic was missing. I can't enjoy my VC any longer.
EC ZDS + Sonnet Pasithea + Auteur Classic had this synergy going on that I am unable to replicate at least in mids. Currently forcing myself to listen to my IEMs to flush out memories of this headphones.

Apr 6, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #7,548 of 8,447
had this headphone with me as part of loaner from super friends and now all other headphones sound broken to me. JAR650 out of OTL brings the mids closer to Auteur classic but still that last bit of magic was missing. I can't enjoy my VC any longer.
EC ZDS + Sonnet Pasithea + Auteur Classic had this synergy going on that I am unable to replicate at least in mids. Currently forcing myself to listen to my IEMs to flush out memories of this headphones.
I had a similar experience a few years ago. I had an Aeolus and VC before getting my Auteur. At one point I had all 3, and I thought the Auteur sounded the most natural. There’s something magical about the mids on these headphones. I actually had no intention of selling my VC, but the Auteur won me over and was getting most of my listening time. The Aeolus is a great listen as well and was my first ZMF, but I prefer the VC and Auteur.

I’ve got a Auteur Classic loaner coming in next week, so I’ll get a chance to compare it to my OG Auteur and Meze Elite. Should be a fun week!

Apr 10, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #7,549 of 8,447
I’m finally getting a chance to listen to the Auteur Classic, and things are sounding really good so far. I can immediately notice better imaging and soundstage size vs my OG. Separation of different voices/instruments seems improved, but I’d have to do some direct comparisons with my OG to verify this. Bass is solid and seems to be a little more refined/clean on the Classic. It also seems to extend a little lower than the OG.

Right now I’m trying to just enjoy the music and get a general feel for the overall sound, so I won’t go into much more detail until I’ve had a few more days with them. I will say, they definitely still sound like an Auteur.

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #7,550 of 8,447
With my end game input tubes in place and with the added imaging that the Eikon gets from them (!) and the already-impressive imaging the VC has, I am thinking VERY seriously about selling my Auteur OG LTD Wenge (minus the Norne cable in the photo)… (EDIT: SOLD!)

They will help fund an Atrium Closed down the road. If anyone is interested before I list them, please PM me. They are in immaculate shape, from a non-smoking environment, and sound excellent.

If I could keep them, I would- but three pairs of ZMFs is enough (for our living room). 😢

IMG_1546.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #7,551 of 8,447
With my end game input tubes in place and with the added imaging that the Eikon gets from them (!) and the already-impressive imaging the VC has, I am thinking VERY seriously about selling my Auteur OG LTD Wenge (minus the Norne cable in the photo)…

They will help fund an Atrium Closed down the road. If anyone is interested before I list them, please PM me. They are in immaculate shape, from a non-smoking environment, and sound excellent.

If I could keep them, I would- but three pairs of ZMFs is enough (for our living room). 😢

Those are gorgeous! I would have been interested except this morning I bought an Auteur OG LTD Ash! I will send pics and share my impressions when I can.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #7,552 of 8,447
Those are gorgeous! I would have been interested except this morning I bought an Auteur OG LTD Ash this morning! I will send pics and share my impressions when I can.
Thanks! I agree, there is something about the rich dark brown of the Wenge contrasting with the steel that just works really well.

No worries and congrats on your Auteur ownership! They are amazing headphones- may they bring you many years of joyous listening. :gs1000smile:

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #7,553 of 8,447
… alleviated by a storage system? …
3379D492-2FA8-43CD-B060-94C0C49094AA.jpeg

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #7,554 of 8,447
… alleviated by a storage system? …3379D492-2FA8-43CD-B060-94C0C49094AA.jpeg
One byproduct of being audiophile is number of boxes in form of shipping boxes or display cases we accumulate over a period of time. We need a thread to display how we store them

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #7,555 of 8,447
One byproduct of being audiophile is number of boxes in form of shipping boxes or display cases we accumulate over a period of time. We need a thread to display how we store them
I put the headphones in the cases when not in use; another benefit is that ‘new headphone smell’ really lasts!

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #7,556 of 8,447
Those are gorgeous! I would have been interested except this morning I bought an Auteur OG LTD Ash! I will send pics and share my impressions when I can.
There aren't many of these Ash Auteurs out in the wild. I think only 20 or so were ever made. I love my set and can't ever bring myself to sell them even though they aren't my primary headphones anymore. They're just so damned handsome!

I look forward to seeing some pictures of your set when you get them in! Ash is a special wood. I sold a Blackwood Auteur after comparing it to the Ash set. I also had an Verite Closed in Ash as well as two other VCs in different wood types. The Ash was the best-sounding in my opinion. Can't explain it, but let's just say I'm a fan of Manchurian Ash ZMFs!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #7,557 of 8,447
Snapped a quick picture of the two Auteurs together. The Classic has some new tricks up its sleeve, but my OG is holding its own.
864E27D8-A2BE-4ACC-B740-D23CFBFE2872.jpeg

P.S. Zoom in and take a look at how different the grills are. I didn’t realize Zach had changed them so much on the Classic.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #7,558 of 8,447
Snapped a quick picture of the two Auteurs together. The Classic has some new tricks up its sleeve, but my OG is holding its own.
P.S. Zoom in and take a look at how different the grills are. I didn’t realize Zach had changed them so much on the Classic.
Wow yeah those are gorgeous! Here is mine they just arrived!
1681316330613.jpeg

Time to listen to them!

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #7,559 of 8,447
Wow yeah those are gorgeous! Here is mine they just arrived!
1681316330613.jpeg
Time to listen to them!
Look like my set has a long-lost brother!

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #7,560 of 8,447

Users who are viewing this thread

Back