ZMF Auteur Thread
Oct 1, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #5,371 of 8,322
Hi everybody, and happy listening. I just received the new mesh for my Auteur from Bevin (The First Lady of ZMF), one of the old mesh was damaged during shipping. The new mesh are darker in color, very flexible, half as thin and way lighter than the old mesh. The new material makes them easy to install to the baffers and put the pads on.0929211227.jpg
Glad you received them and happy listening to you too!! Really loving your stripes on that set~

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 1, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #5,372 of 8,322
Currently waiting for mine to arrive :) Took a while to search for one. Thanks @Levanter for the rec. ZMF makes beautiful headphone/crafts. What a marvel to look at. I don't know how they'll sound though. WIll pair up with RNHP, listening to mostly guitar and vocals

782ee548-c0ab-4aa7-ab9a-f0d50eec9a88.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #5,373 of 8,322
Currently waiting for mine to arrive :) Took a while to search for one. Thanks @Levanter for the rec. ZMF makes beautiful headphone/crafts. What a marvel to look at. I don't know how they'll sound though. WIll pair up with RNHP, listening to mostly guitar and vocals

They are beautiful to look at and even better to listen to. Tube amps are highly recommended.

Oct 1, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #5,374 of 8,322

Beautiful. Are these in teak? I’m waiting for mine to arrive too. How I’ve missed the sound!

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #5,375 of 8,322
Beautiful. Are these in teak? I’m waiting for mine to arrive too. How I’ve missed the sound!
Not sure if they're teak. They're based of an older wood model though, not the current one
agg.png

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #5,376 of 8,322

Congrats! Hope the sound signature will be right up your alley 😁
Let us know once you run them through!

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #5,377 of 8,322
Really enjoying my new Auteurs. The ash is gorgeous and I really love the swirls. I think they represent the sweet warmth but true to character sound this can has. I could have sworn my Teaks had a bit more treble and were a little sweeter sounding but that’s splitting hairs. These are just as lightweight as them too. 17966A10-816B-4EB8-80BE-FC08AB65FB19.jpeg
1144F3E4-7F4D-49B4-8166-744C16889F51.jpeg

Oct 4, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #5,378 of 8,322
Since wer’re on a picture roll here…. My Three Amigos! I’m really enjoying my Auteur. I’ve only had the Aeolus since last Monday. I like that too, but definitely not as detailed as the Auteur and VC. The mids are much more forward too.

Attachments

• 7F0E8BB7-4C22-4458-8553-83EE4267D78D.jpeg
    7F0E8BB7-4C22-4458-8553-83EE4267D78D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #5,379 of 8,322
It took just a tad under three months but my Bocote Auteurs are here. The non-grain part of the wood is a bit more brown than the warmer and more colored example pics on ZMF's website. Regardless, I am quite pleased with the natural but professional aesthetic with the black hardware. I am also quite pleased that ZMF was able to fulfill my request for the original more oval-shaped Auteur lambskin pads. They are a bit deeper and keep my ears from pressing too hard against the mesh screens.

This is my second pair of Auteurs (My original Blackwood LTDs will go up for sale very soon). This remains my all-around favorite pair of headphones. They may not be the absolute best at any one thing but to me have no flaws. There are no gimmicks or attempts to wow you with unusual tuning. These deliver the music the way it was meant to be heard. I can enjoy all genres on these headphones all day.

I will say I have never been much into cable swapping for sound but there is a noticeable sound improvement with my Oidio Litz Copper cable over the stock ZMF cable. The sound is noticeably more full, slightly punchier bass and more dynamic details. Its not huge but easily noticeable A-Bing the two cables.

PXL_20211004_192225499.jpg

PXL_20211004_192551783.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #5,380 of 8,322
It took just a tad under three months but my Bocote Auteurs are here. The non-grain part of the wood is a bit more brown than the warmer and more colored example pics on ZMF's website. Regardless, I am quite pleased with the natural but professional aesthetic with the black hardware. I am also quite pleased that ZMF was able to fulfill my request for the original more oval-shaped Auteur lambskin pads. They are a bit deeper and keep my ears from pressing too hard against the mesh screens.

This is my second pair of Auteurs (My original Blackwood LTDs will go up for sale very soon). This remains my all-around favorite pair of headphones. They may not be the absolute best at any one thing but to me have no flaws. There are no gimmicks or attempts to wow you with unusual tuning. These deliver the music the way it was meant to be heard. I can enjoy all genres on these headphones all day.

I will say I have never been much into cable swapping for sound but there is a noticeable sound improvement with my Oidio Litz Copper cable over the stock ZMF cable. The sound is noticeably more full, slightly punchier bass and more dynamic details. Its not huge but easily noticeable A-Bing the two cables.

I think are the most beautiful Bocote Auteurs I've seen yet. Reminds me almost of Zebrawood. Did you notice much of a difference between the Blackwoods and these, apart from the weight?

Also as someone with very big ears, I'm curious about the deeper, more oval-shaped auteur lambskin pads. Didn't know they existed!

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #5,381 of 8,322
Since wer’re on a picture roll here…. My Three Amigos! I’m really enjoying my Auteur. I’ve only had the Aeolus since last Monday. I like that too, but definitely not as detailed as the Auteur and VC. The mids are much more forward too.

I think I owned that Aeolus for a few months until I got my Blackwood Auteur!

Your Auteur looks beautiful, as well as the rest of the line up. I love how they're all lighter colored woods, but very rustic looking with the grain and metal (copper?) hardware. The reason why I sold that Aeolus was I thought the Auteur had a wider soundstage and deeper sub-bass. Otherwise, I loved the tuning of the Aeolus for laidback, background music listening. The Auteur commands my attention a little more. I'll have to take pictures of my Blackwood Auteurs when I get a chance. I think dense woods work the best with the Auteur, giving some more speed to a driver that otherwise can sound a little tame/slow. The denser woods also seem to slope the Auteur tuning down a little, so less flat, less treble focus, noticeable increase in sub-bass and mid-bass.

Oct 5, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #5,382 of 8,322
I think I owned that Aeolus for a few months until I got my Blackwood Auteur!

Your Auteur looks beautiful, as well as the rest of the line up. I love how they're all lighter colored woods, but very rustic looking with the grain and metal (copper?) hardware. The reason why I sold that Aeolus was I thought the Auteur had a wider soundstage and deeper sub-bass. Otherwise, I loved the tuning of the Aeolus for laidback, background music listening. The Auteur commands my attention a little more. I'll have to take pictures of my Blackwood Auteurs when I get a chance. I think dense woods work the best with the Auteur, giving some more speed to a driver that otherwise can sound a little tame/slow. The denser woods also seem to slope the Auteur tuning down a little, so less flat, less treble focus, noticeable increase in sub-bass and mid-bass.
That would make me at least the third owner and they are in mint condition! The Aeolus is bubinga with rose gold. The Auteur and VC hardware is aged copper. I got the VC with rose gold, but never really cared for how it looked. I decided to change it out with the aged copper to match the Auteur. I have no plans to get rid of either of those. I think they compliment each other very well. Not sure about the Aeolus. I agree with your take on the Aeolus vs Auteur. I got the Aeolus for listening to 80’s/90’s rock music which, in my opinion, is usually poorly mastered and often bright. I have not done any pad swapping on the Auteur or Aeolus yet.

Oct 5, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #5,383 of 8,322
That would make me at least the third owner and they are in mint condition! The Aeolus is bubinga with rose gold. The Auteur and VC hardware is aged copper. I got the VC with rose gold, but never really cared for how it looked. I decided to change it out with the aged copper to match the Auteur. I have no plans to get rid of either of those. I think they compliment each other very well. Not sure about the Aeolus. I agree with your take on the Aeolus vs Auteur. I got the Aeolus for listening to 80’s/90’s rock music which, in my opinion, is usually poorly mastered and often bright. I have not done any pad swapping on the Auteur or Aeolus yet.

I preferred the stock Aeolus pads, which actually are retired now. Similar to Universe lambskin, but reportedly a little warmer. Some like the Universe suedes, but I preferred having a warmer sound to contrast with my other headphones. I actually found upgrading to a pure silver cable (I had the ZMF Verite Silver) helped increase the detail of the Aeolus a noticeable amount. I was coming from the Verite, sold in favor of the Aeolus, and so the silver cable really helped get it a little closer to the resolution level of the Verite. For the Auteur, I love the stock Auteur pads for that wide soundstage.

As a side note, I noticed you have an A1 Yggy w/ Unison, which is also what I had. Recently upgraded to the LiM, self-installed the boards. Very satisfied! Hard to truly A/B between them but I do get the sense a blacker background as many have commented on in reviews. Highly recommend if you get the chance!

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #5,384 of 8,322
I preferred the stock Aeolus pads, which actually are retired now. Similar to Universe lambskin, but reportedly a little warmer. Some like the Universe suedes, but I preferred having a warmer sound to contrast with my other headphones. I actually found upgrading to a pure silver cable (I had the ZMF Verite Silver) helped increase the detail of the Aeolus a noticeable amount. I was coming from the Verite, sold in favor of the Aeolus, and so the silver cable really helped get it a little closer to the resolution level of the Verite. For the Auteur, I love the stock Auteur pads for that wide soundstage.

As a side note, I noticed you have an A1 Yggy w/ Unison, which is also what I had. Recently upgraded to the LiM, self-installed the boards. Very satisfied! Hard to truly A/B between them but I do get the sense a blacker background as many have commented on in reviews. Highly recommend if you get the chance!
I was looking at switching the A1 to LIM but waited too long. Now there is a 12-16 week wait. The only thing I will wait 12-16 weeks for after purchase is a new set of ZMF headphones! I switched out the USB module myself, so I would go for the self install on the analog board too.

I've been looking at replacement cables, but haven't bought anything yet. I'm worried about pure silver being to bright and reducing the bass quantity. I was thinking maybe a silver/copper hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back