ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 26, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #2,026 of 8,367
There're number of comparisons from previous posts, just look back a bit and you will find them.

Ok thanks ya I see the consensus is, it is not a utopia killer or as detailed but still has a warm musicality.

I tried to search but couldn't find how the Auteur's bass directly compares to the HD800S's bass and sub bass.

Jul 26, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #2,027 of 8,367
Ok thanks ya I see the consensus is, it is not a utopia killer or as detailed but still has a warm musicality.

I tried to search but couldn't find how the Auteur's bass directly compares to the HD800S's bass and sub bass.
It has more quantity of both, and quality is about even. In my opinion the HD800/S is a bass anaemic headphone in stock form, although that can be remedied with EQ (SonarWorks). Throw on the Eikon perf pads and bass quantity goes up another notch. That said, the Auteur isn't anywhere near as 'bassy' as its closed brothers Atticus and Eikon. It's far more neutral and 'realistic', whereas the HD800/S is more of an analytical headphone.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #2,028 of 8,367

Tried the new HD820, a lot more bass but seemed can't disperse well due to closed nature...

Jul 26, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #2,029 of 8,367

I've probably posted more Utopia/Auteur comparisons here than most others. I find them much closer than the prices would suggest. Similarities include soundstage size and precision, overall tonality, and bass quality, quantity & extension. Both seem very close to reference. Utopia soundstage slightly more precise. Auteur bass slightly more quantity.

I consider the Auteur neutral, not warm. I hear a bit of elevated upper-mids/treble from Utopia on a few tracks. I think that lift contributes to the perception of greater detail from Utopia, but it also occasionally leads to some random instrument being unnaturally accentuated. Also, Utopia is a bit more demanding, while Auteur is slightly more relaxed. But if you put Utopia at 10 on the 'demanding' scale, and my HEKv2 at 1, Auteur would be 8, maybe 8.5.

Note that my Auteur are Blackwood. From what I've read, Teak might be a little more different -- a little warmer, a little more musical, a little less precise. I have no idea how big any of these 'a little' factors are, as I've never heard Teak Auteur.

So the tl;dr version is:

Utopia/Auteur are close. Utopia a bit more detailed, Auteur a bit more musical. Utopia is lighter and stays on my head a bit more.

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #2,030 of 8,367
I've probably posted more Utopia/Auteur comparisons here than most others. I find them much closer than the prices would suggest. Similarities include soundstage size and precision, overall tonality, and bass quality, quantity & extension. Both seem very close to reference. Utopia soundstage slightly more precise. Auteur bass slightly more quantity.

I consider the Auteur neutral, not warm. I hear a bit of elevated upper-mids/treble from Utopia on a few tracks. I think that lift contributes to the perception of greater detail from Utopia, but it also occasionally leads to some random instrument being unnaturally accentuated. Also, Utopia is a bit more demanding, while Auteur is slightly more relaxed. But if you put Utopia at 10 on the 'demanding' scale, and my HEKv2 at 1, Auteur would be 8, maybe 8.5.

Note that my Auteur are Blackwood. From what I've read, Teak might be a little more different -- a little warmer, a little more musical, a little less precise. I have no idea how big any of these 'a little' factors are, as I've never heard Teak Auteur.

So the tl;dr version is:

Utopia/Auteur are close. Utopia a bit more detailed, Auteur a bit more musical. Utopia is lighter and stays on my head a bit more.

Blackwood has the warmest tonality and most realistic timbre of the line.

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #2,031 of 8,367
Blackwood has the warmest tonality and most realistic timbre of the line.
Oh. Thanks for the correction re: Teak/Blackwood warmth. I was just going by what I recalled from prior reading. Re-read CSkippy's review -- he agrees with you.

Jul 26, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #2,032 of 8,367
My new pair of Auteurs in Limited Manchurian Ash! Check out the beautiful wood grain!
This is my second pair of Auteurs. I have the Auteur pads on the blackwood set, and the Eikon pads on this set. Between the two pairs, it can suit every kind of music I listen to!

9938292_l.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #2,034 of 8,367
I know its not recommended but has anyone used the suede pads on the auteur?

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #2,036 of 8,367
I've used the solid suede pads and it makes the bass awesome....and everything else suck. I'm sure the perforated suede pads sound better

I see in your sig you have the atticus. Are you talking about them or the auteur ?

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #2,038 of 8,367
Auteur. Suede solid pads kill the bass on the Atticus. On the Auteur it makes it go nuts.

That is so weird! Any idea why this might be ?

I like that it enhances the bass because I was looking for a more bassy version of my HD800S to compliment it but sounds like the mids and highs go to crap :frowning2:

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #2,040 of 8,367

Users who are viewing this thread

Back