ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #3,901 of 6,521
300mW into the Atriums (for any real duration) would likely blow your eardrums. XD The Burson has plenty of power for the Atrium. Now, I'm not saying you may not notice subtle improvements with other, more powerful amps, but YMMV. The best pairing I'd heard was with a speaker amp, but that's not to say my headamp with the same power spec as yours didn't also sound sublime.

But, if you want to explore the tube sound, I'd recommend researching some good OTL options.
The ZMF amp compendium started by @Monsterzero is a great thread to check out.
LOL, ugh, interesting. I'm never had 300ohm headphones before. Comparing the Burson to other amps, they offer like 1W at 600 so I figured it was underpowered, lol.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #3,903 of 6,521
In case anyone is interested, planning to list my limited stabilized purple atrium with rose gold grilles. Absolutely love them but I have a VC incoming and have more use for a closed back ZMF atm. They’re gorgeous though :)

Attachments

• 816BCC9C-8287-4229-BE2C-CF76CE8015C0.jpeg
    816BCC9C-8287-4229-BE2C-CF76CE8015C0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 59D7544E-6696-4A0E-AD5B-1FAAAD4F62EA.jpeg
    59D7544E-6696-4A0E-AD5B-1FAAAD4F62EA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 77E5183E-37A1-4D20-A0BE-5646B04890AD.jpeg
    77E5183E-37A1-4D20-A0BE-5646B04890AD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #3,904 of 6,521
300mW into the Atriums (for any real duration) would likely blow your eardrums. XD The Burson has plenty of power for the Atrium. Now, I'm not saying you may not notice subtle improvements with other, more powerful amps, but YMMV. The best pairing I'd heard was with a speaker amp, but that's not to say my headamp with the same power spec as yours didn't also sound sublime.

But, if you want to explore the tube sound, I'd recommend researching some good OTL options.
The ZMF amp compendium started by @Monsterzero is a great thread to check out.
Interesting.
Which speaker amp do you use for your Atrium?

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #3,905 of 6,521
I am one of the oddballs who prefers the Be2 pads on the Atrium. I think it makes the bass more punchy and less boomy, while maintaining the brightness and clarity. IMO, YMMV.
I'm going to get around to trying them on the Atrium sooner or later. I would have probably tried them already but I enjoy the BE2 pads so much on the VO and the Auteur pads so much on the Atrium that I've had a hard time taking either off. I'm getting ready to make a new pad order soon (second pair of Eikon suede pads for my Auteur Classic as my other pair is on my Auteur OG) so might just get a second pair of BE2 pads, maybe even some BE2 suede pads also. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #3,906 of 6,521
LOL, ugh, interesting. I'm never had 300ohm headphones before. Comparing the Burson to other amps, they offer like 1mW at 600 so I figured it was underpowered, lol.
You should have plenty of power with your Burson which is a very nice amp btw.

Dec 11, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #3,907 of 6,521
You should have plenty of power with your Burson which is a very nice amp btw.
Cool stuff. Yea, I have sparkos in it, and I love the sound but of course a Focal Clear has no need of that much power.

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #3,908 of 6,521
Folks, I have ZMF Eikon and ZMF Aeolus, Perfect sound and no hissing. Just bought ZMF Atrium and noticed hissing, even though on the same source. Have anyone experienced the same problem?.I'm listening to them via Fiio M17, Kann Max and Topping DX7 Pro. Is there something wrong with headphones? I've tried regular 3.5 jack and balanced, same symptoms

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #3,911 of 6,521
Folks, I have ZMF Eikon and ZMF Aeolus, Perfect sound and no hissing. Just bought ZMF Atrium and noticed hissing, even though on the same source. Have anyone experienced the same problem?.I'm listening to them via Fiio M17, Kann Max and Topping DX7 Pro. Is there something wrong with headphones? I've tried regular 3.5 jack and balanced, same symptoms
What exactly do you mean they're hissing? Like a constant hiss, or only during certain parts of music?

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #3,912 of 6,521
Majority of the hiss is due to the source, at least source not appropriate for the headphones/IEMs.

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #3,913 of 6,521
That makes little sense as the Eikon and Aeolus are more sensitive than the Atrium, so if the noise is coming from source/DAC/amp it would be more apparent on the other two ZMFs.

I've never encountered noise coming from a cable, but it's worth a try to swap cables and see if the issue persists.

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #3,914 of 6,521
A couple of questions:

1) Does your source have an impedance switch? If so, what's it set to?

2) Have you checked all connections (at the headphones as well as the amp) to ensure they're all locked in tight?

3) Have you checked the source material to ensure there's no "MQA" or other processing that's possibly turned off?

Just a few thoughts. If you go back and forth from the Atrium to the other HPs and the noise is ONLY present on the Atirums, it's possible (albeit unlikely) that they're the issue. You can always contact ZMF - they're very good at taking care of customers.

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #3,915 of 6,521
That makes little sense as the Eikon and Aeolus are more sensitive than the Atrium, so if the noise is coming from source/DAC/amp it would be more apparent on the other two ZMFs.

I've never encountered noise coming from a cable, but it's worth a try to swap cables and see if the issue persists.
Cable could be draped across a noise source (AC line, lamp cord, etc.) and be picking up some interference, perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back