ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Dec 14, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #3,931 of 6,266
I normally prefer a much more minimalist and clean aesthetic, and thus tend to go for the non-stab versions (like my Blackwood VC's).

But, for some reason this particular pair connected with me. Trust me when I say, they look even better in person.

I love the depth and richness of the stabilized maple.PXL_20221214_201628439.jpg
PXL_20221214_201510199.jpg

I spent a fair amount of time staring at that pair before deciding to go with a natural wood pair.

Enjoy them!

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #3,932 of 6,266
Great review! From your review and others I think I'm going to hold off on the Caldera for awhile since it sounds like the Atrium is more in line with my tastes also. Of course that could change at any given time though! Lol!🤪
There's honestly no right or wrong here IMO...listening is believing though, you never know until you hear it. The Atrium is amazing & isn't going anywhere (for now).

Dec 16, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #3,933 of 6,266
Be2 suede are one of the favorites I tried.. top 3 for me and for the very reasons you stated.
I swap up between the universe and Be2 suede. To me the Be2 suede has a more romantic feel and guitars just freaking bite and vocals stand out more! Great pad.

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #3,934 of 6,266
The sound and craftsmanship of ZMF headphones are exquisite!

I had to show the VO also because of the cable from @doctorjuggles from Khanyayo Cables I just attached to it.

The Atrium and VO each do their thing so well.

IMG_0608.jpg

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #3,935 of 6,266
**Personal Impressions of ZMF Atrium**

I recently got in a pair of ZMF Atriums in cocobolo. Local seller had them almost brand new, and said he didn't like the grain pattern. Personally, I think they're sexy af, so I managed to pick them up for a pretty significant discount. :)

I'm sure the Atriums have been reviewed by every tom, dick, and harry, but felt like contributing my take. My last headphone I'm coming from was a Focal Clear.

:: Burnt in appx. 80hrs ::

**Mids**

- Significant forwardness. Can become pained in some mid-focused tracks if you’re used to listening at higher volumes
Rich, and textured in the lower mids
- Upper mids possess a “sing-song” quality; they are ever so slightly rolled off.
- At the same time, voices or instruments meant to be quiet are QUIET. Voices and instruments meant to forward are FORWARD

**Bass**

- Atrium feel as though they possesses a “bass aura”. The cups are washed in low end presence
- Slams when it needs to, sort of, but but a bass head’s headphone; slam is more in the manipulation of the “wash/aura” inside the cup. Could actually slam harder and I would be ok with it. (Correction in my notes: If the track calls for it, it *CAN* slam enough to satisfy the track)
- Tickles the ear with ambient “there’ness” and presence
- Sub-bass can be expressed as “aura” like. Not particularly strong or overpowering, but there

**Treble**

- Has a tendency to be peaky on tracks with well mastered dynamic range. Taming this with pads would be beneficial
- Delicate and smooth, despite potential peakiness

**Timbre**

- Incredible timbre, instruments feel distinct in character and tune
- Notes definitely have a slower decay than faster dynamic drivers, but not as slow to my ears as reviewers/users were making them sound. Very welcome sound profile over other headphones I’ve tried.
- Decay may get even slower with tube amps. Would need to be kept balanced because it *could* get too decayed easily.

**Separation, Dynamics, and Soundstage**

- Soundstage has significant pan, and intense verticality.
- Soundstage depth is perhaps a medium
- Dynamics are strong, superior to the Focal Clear
- Significantly more 3Dness than the Focal Clear; another level of separation. For example, I noticed a song (I should have written it down) in which there’s a central guitar are actually 2 people playing guitar standing beside each other. One is standing perhaps a foot closer to me than the other.

**Misc notes**

- Addictive quality
- ENRICHES well recorded music, hard not to move to the music.
- Does well with poorly recorded music. Won’t ruin it. Can work with it.
- Music snakes around in the depth of the cup and is electric
- Amazing for vocal focused electric, or romantic’esque tracks.
- Plays classical softly, perhaps overly soft for some. Noticeably misses some texture in the strings of string instruments, but- produces the notes themselves beautifully
- Electronic is lovely
- Rap does well in a different way. Highly musical representation of rap, not an attacking dynamic sort of “in your face” representation of rap that some 90’s artists may call for like Eminem or Dre.
- Sound signature is not that of an open back, but of an almost semi-open

**Simulated solid lambskin Universe** (I taped the fenestrations closed)

- Slightly more 3Dness
- Bass becomes somewhat muddy and splashy but has a lot more impact on the close soundstage
- Attack is more present. Notes hit harder, especially in the upper range. Not so much "sing-song" anymore
- Whole FR feels boosted.
- Decay is exaggerated significantly more
- Naturalness of vocals can be thrown off it seems
- Subbass increased

**Auteur lambskin perf**

- Soundstage deeper, but smaller
- Still sounds natural
- Confusing timbre…sometimes feels slower, sometimes faster
- Perhaps trading more attack for a lot less texture?
- Significantly more laid back presentation; more romantic, but more “common”; no treble hotness, but stops sounding like a ZMF headphone/unique. Seems to sound more like what you'd expect a really good headphone to sound like.

**BE2 Hybrid Perf**

- Very small soundstage, very small pad
- No treble peak
- Feel like a lot of detail is sacrificed
- Overall a bad pad

**Grill mod removal**

- Adds back texture to and presence to the upper mid range/highs
- Sacrifices even more peakiness
- Makes the Atrium fatiguing (strange to me as I'm coming from the Clears; a very fatiguing headphone)
- This would be a great mod to be used with a pad that smoothed highs without too many other drawbacks

tmp-1671219077465_copy.jpg

tmp-1671219077491_copy.jpg

tmp-1671219077427_copy_2.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #3,936 of 6,266

I recently got in a pair of ZMF Atriums in cocobolo. Local seller had them almost brand new, and said he didn't like the grain pattern. Personally, I think they're sexy af, so I managed to pick them up for a pretty significant discount. :)

I'm sure the Atriums have been reviewed by every tom, dick, and harry, but felt like contributing my take. My last headphone I'm coming from was a Focal Clear.

**Mids**

- Significant forwardness. Can become pained in some mid-focused tracks if you’re used to listening at higher volumes
- Upper mids possess a “sing-song” quality; they are ever so slightly rolled off.
- At the same time, voices or instruments meant to be quiet are QUIET. Voices and instruments meant to forward are FORWARD

**Bass**

- Atrium feel as though they possesses a “bass aura”. The cups are washed in low end presence
- Slams when it needs to, sort of, but but a bass head’s headphone; slam is more in the manipulation of the “wash/aura” inside the cup. Could actually slam harder and I would be ok with it. (Correction in my notes: If the track calls for it, it *CAN* slam enough to satisfy the track)
- Sub-bass can be expressed as “aura” like. Not particularly strong or overpowering, but there

**Treble**

- Has a tendency to be peaky on tracks with well mastered dynamic range. Taming this with pads would be beneficial

**Timbre**

- Notes definitely have a slower decay than faster dynamic drivers, but not as slow to my ears as reviewers/users were making them sound. Very welcome sound profile over other headphones I’ve tried.
- Decay may get even slower with tube amps. Would need to be kept balanced because it *could* get too decayed easily.

- Significantly more 3Dness than the Focal Clear; another level of separation. For example, I noticed a song (I should have written it down) in which there’s a central guitar are actually 2 people playing guitar standing beside each other. One is standing perhaps a foot closer to me than the other.

**Misc notes**

- Addictive quality
- Plays classical softly, perhaps overly soft for some. Noticeably misses some texture in the strings of string instruments, but- produces the notes themselves beautifully
- Electronic is lovely
- Rap does well in a different way. Highly musical representation of rap, not an attacking dynamic sort of “in your face” representation of rap that some 90’s artists may call for like Eminem or Dre.

- Slightly more 3Dness
- Bass becomes somewhat muddy and splashy but has a lot more impact on the close soundstage
- Attack is more present. Notes hit harder, especially in the upper range. Not so much "sing-song" anymore
- Subbass increased

**Auteur lambskin perf**

- Still sounds natural
- Significantly more laid back presentation; more romantic, but more “common”; no treble hotness, but stops sounding like a ZMF headphone/unique. Seems to sound more like what you'd expect a really good headphone to sound like.

**BE2 Hybrid Perf**

- No treble peak
- Overall a bad pad

**Grill mod removal**

- Makes the Atrium fatiguing (strange to me as I'm coming from the Clears; a very fatiguing headphone)
- This would be a great mod to be used with a pad that smoothed highs without too many other drawbacks

Just as I suspected, in the end of the day, the stcok is the best (grill, pads, etc).

Dec 16, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #3,937 of 6,266
**Mids**

Congrats on getting such a nice pair of Atriums. My experience of the Atrium matches yours when it comes to the descriptions I've quoted here. I don't own an Atrium (yet?!) but I did get to hear two loaners in my system, one with the stock mesh, the other with the solid mesh. The solid mesh pretty much fixed both of the issues you mention here, albeit making the sound of the Atrium a bit darker.

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #3,938 of 6,266
Listening to this beautiful jazz album on the Atrium this evening. This kind of music was just made for this headphone. Bliss...

1671252054002.png

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #3,939 of 6,266
Congrats on getting such a nice pair of Atriums. My experience of the Atrium matches yours when it comes to the descriptions I've quoted here. I don't own an Atrium (yet?!) but I did get to hear two loaners in my system, one with the stock mesh, the other with the solid mesh. The solid mesh pretty much fixed both of the issues you mention here, albeit making the sound of the Atrium a bit darker.
Thanks for the tip. I might buy a set when I order my next set of pads.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #3,940 of 6,266
I own the Envy now but from memory I felt the Ferrum stack had better synergy with the Atriums. They were faster and more intoxicating in the mids in my opinion.

Also it could be that the Susvara sound so much better with the Envy that the Atriums did not scale up as much. Making the gap in resolution etc much more apparent.

Love the Atriums though. Going to try different tube combos. But I think the info is good to know for anyone trying to squeeze more from the Atriums with the Envy.

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #3,941 of 6,266

**Mids**

**Bass**

**Treble**

**Timbre**

**Misc notes**

- Addictive quality
- Electronic is lovely

- Slightly more 3Dness
- Subbass increased

**Auteur lambskin perf**

- Still sounds natural

**BE2 Hybrid Perf**

- No treble peak
- Overall a bad pad

**Grill mod removal**

Nice impression.

Actually I also felt the same, without mesh made me fatigue faster. I think due to the imaging (placement of instrument/vocal) become "collapse" and messier compared when the mesh still intact. Or, perhaps there were certain upper treble frequencies that I was sensitive of and gave extra pressure to my ears. Not sure why, but the result is the same as you.

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #3,942 of 6,266
I think it's possible that the term "hissing" could describe a myriad of things. As Mike suggested, checking sources is important. Does the hiss change as you change gain settings on your daps and amps/volume knobs?

The one thing to check when diagnosing headphones is whether the hissing is constant or changes with input, it can be easier testing this with an Amp that has inputs like a desktop setup. You also should check with a friend and/or a dealer on their setup to see if the issue can be reproduced, it can be tough to diagnose where the issue is without help sometimes.

The other thing to check would be to make sure there's no debris on the driver or if it does change in frequency.

Regardless this is definitely an issue I haven't quite heard of before, and is outside of quantifiable impressions, so I do think it's best you email us at support@zmfheadphones.com and we can help!
Thanks - I will have some time over the Christmas period and planning to properly test it. I have also contacted support already and will share my impressions when I'm ready.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #3,943 of 6,266
Listening to this beautiful jazz album on the Atrium this evening. This kind of music was just made for this headphone. Bliss...

1671252054002.png
Listening to this now with the Atriums.

This feels like cheating... as in, a pair of headphones shouldn't sound this good. So damn pleasing, especially with a slight subbass shelf.

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #3,944 of 6,266
Listening to this now with the Atriums.

This feels like cheating... as in, a pair of headphones shouldn't sound this good. So damn pleasing, especially with a slight subbass shelf.

Enjoy! 😊😊😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back