ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 24, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #3,091 of 6,230
The Cocobolo Atriums are in the house and just look stunning oh they sound pretty damn good too.
A new pic from the patio listening.
602D9EE4-D28E-4C82-9110-7697BDAADFE6.jpeg

Attachments

• BACF05DC-ADD2-4B07-938B-55A6F728ECFD.jpeg
    BACF05DC-ADD2-4B07-938B-55A6F728ECFD.jpeg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #3,092 of 6,230
I’d give same reply to all genres - the Elite sounds nice, it’s super comfortable, but (to me) it’s rather boring and not technically good enough at its price point.

The Atrium is wonderful, lush, and has a natural tonality that creates an emotional connection with the music - it’s hands down superior to the Elite.
Atrium vs Elite: I own/owned both, sold Elite.

That said, to my ears it was a pretty tough call. I enjoyed both, and the Elite comfort is tops. I love the look of my cocobolo Atrium, but I also admire the look of the Elite.

Bottom line for me was several things I preferred from Atrium (bass extension, image/headstage, smooth yet detailed treble, versatility with all genres) vs really nothing besides comfort which I preferred about Elite.

I had owned Empyrean for several months, then sold them basically because they were too far from my preferences. Elite came much closer and, had Atrium not been in the house, I probably would have held onto them.

Sep 24, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #3,093 of 6,230
Atrium vs Elite: I own/owned both, sold Elite.

That said, to my ears it was a pretty tough call. I enjoyed both, and the Elite comfort is tops. I love the look of my cocobolo Atrium, but I also admire the look of the Elite.

Bottom line for me was several things I preferred from Atrium (bass extension, image/headstage, smooth yet detailed treble, versatility with all genres) vs really nothing besides comfort which I preferred about Elite.

I had owned Empyrean for several months, then sold them basically because they were too far from my preferences. Elite came much closer and, had Atrium not been in the house, I probably would have held onto them.
Agree with your conclusion..

Sep 24, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #3,094 of 6,230
Sep 24, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #3,095 of 6,230
So I'm trying to figure out which pad is which so I can change the pads in my atrium but there isn't any way to tell.

Oddly, given the extremely high price for what they are, there is not a label.

How do youse guys tell the pads apart?

Sep 24, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #3,096 of 6,230
So I'm trying to figure out which pad is which so I can change the pads in my atrium but there isn't any way to tell.

Divination and/or a coin flip.

If you go to the ZMF Pads store page, they have dimensions of each pad (except the BE2 pads). You can get a decent idea of which pad is which, although you might need a caliper or other measuring device to help.

In general for the Atrium, the Auteur pads are the thickest pad with the steepest angle. The BE2 pads will be the thinnest/flattest and the Universe pads will be in-between those two.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #3,097 of 6,230
Divination and/or a coin flip.

If you go to the ZMF Pads store page, they have dimensions of each pad (except the BE2 pads). You can get a decent idea of which pad is which, although you might need a caliper or other measuring device to help.

In general for the Atrium, the Auteur pads are the thickest pad with the steepest angle. The BE2 pads will be the thinnest/flattest and the Universe pads will be in-between those two.

That's what I am doing. Not sure a yard stick is getting the job done right, but at least it's getting done.

I threw a brainwavez pad with an ear cavity the size of a vollyball. Bass was ... real.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #3,098 of 6,230
That's what I am doing. Not sure a yard stick is getting the job done right, but at least it's getting done.

I threw a brainwavez pad with an ear cavity the size of a vollyball. Bass was ... real.
Oh noes, don't got full Zeos on us!

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #3,099 of 6,230

For future reference, use a silver Sharpie to write the pad info inside the pad behind the padding itself. All credit for that idea goes to @ZeosPantera for the idea, btw.

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #3,100 of 6,230
Missed you in SoCal Eyal hope to see you in NYC in February.
Missed you too buddy!!!

If it weren’t for me taking my Kung Fu instructor test that weekend (happens once a year and trained for it for many months) I’d have been there for certain. Here’s a picture of my silly smirk after that 4-hr physical test 😁

54D6AB84-BD66-4601-B26C-918A5C14D23D.jpeg

Will definitely be in NYC! I’m hoping to perhaps do a small meet up at my place with some good head-fi friends day before or after show, I’ll make sure to let u know. Would be great to spend some more time together.. and prolonged the party some.. @HiFiHawaii808 was at my place couple of weeks ago and we had 6-7 hr mini head-if summit (pics) inspires me to do more of theses 😊😊😊

F5437FBB-6B4C-41AE-B56B-C197D5F6E223.jpeg

5CAE1010-E357-442D-9831-004E10F2B494.jpeg

Sep 24, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #3,102 of 6,230
This came on in the car and it checks out on the atrium.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #3,103 of 6,230
Has anyone compared the Atriums to the Expanse?

Sep 26, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #3,105 of 6,230
Has anyone compared the Atriums to the Expanse?
Soon. I ordered the Atriums a long time ago, waiting patiently, but I'm a patient person. The Expanse was an unplanned purchase when I ordered the Atriums, but they were released -- I love the Stealth, so the Expanse was an easy decision. Still very curious to hear the Atrium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back