ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 23, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #3,077 of 6,230
Good point. I think it’s not been said enough that just having power doesn’t equates good sound. Barring inefficient planars like the he6/sus etc, it should not be the main criteria for an amp purchase especially for dynamic driver headphones. I’ve ran my starlett with planars like arya, rad0 etc with great results despite having measly power output by today’s standard.

2W is plenty for most headphones out there and I’m glad to see more manufacturers coming out with less powerful amp focusing more on quality transformers and implementation. One amp I would like to hear in the future is the Ampsandsound ovation and that is peanuts compared the 2W your wa23 produces.
Ageee with this assessment. I spent a bit of time this past weekend at Justin’s booth, thinking about which I liked best between the Nautilus and Red October. For context, I’m looking for an amp upgrade over my Pendant to pair with my VO’s, as I try (emphasize “try”, as the Atriums sound so good) to wait for the Atrium closed back (per Zach, that’ll be sometime in 2023). Anyway, explaining this to Justin, he recommended I try the Ovation, and it was a beautiful, synergistic pairing with my Verite. Sublime. Either this holiday season or at CanJam NYC I’ll be buying an Ovation, and another gentle reminder that while both the Nautilus and Red October sound stunning in their own right, it isn’t always about the TOTL in this hobby.

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #3,078 of 6,230
My Atriums look so purty on my new headphone stand!
Love those Grumpy Goose (gooses? geese?) stands! If I had the room I'd start buying those, but they're just too tall for my space.

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #3,079 of 6,230
I want to know which headphones is tehe best for classical music : Atrium or Meze Elite. Thank you in advance for your advice
I’d give same reply to all genres - the Elite sounds nice, it’s super comfortable, but (to me) it’s rather boring and not technically good enough at its price point.

The Atrium is wonderful, lush, and has a natural tonality that creates an emotional connection with the music - it’s hands down superior to the Elite.

Sep 23, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #3,080 of 6,230
The atrium is great for orchestral music. Coming from the susvara and lcd-5 it took a while to adjust to the warmer tone and reduced treble detail. Listening to movie soundtracks or two steps from hell and I will gladly take bass impact, large soundstage, and dynamic slam of the atrium over any planar. I don't need to pinpoint the location of the xylophone player and hear what he had for breakfast.

Sep 23, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #3,081 of 6,230
The atrium is great for orchestral music. Coming from the susvara and lcd-5 it took a while to adjust to the warmer tone and reduced treble detail. Listening to movie soundtracks or two steps from hell and I will gladly take bass impact, large soundstage, and dynamic slam of the atrium over any planar. I don't need to pinpoint the location of the xylophone player and hear what he had for breakfast.
That's the best part of listening!

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #3,082 of 6,230
Atrium a good can for 90s hip hop, alternative, punk, grunge?

1663950005579.png

Sep 23, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #3,083 of 6,230
this might be new toy syndrome but I just can't put the Atrium down. It sounds so smooth and natural and haven't heard a bad song on it since I put it on my head since this afternoon :L3000:

Sep 23, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #3,084 of 6,230
Same here! I've had it since Tuesday and I want to listen to it every chance I get.

Sep 23, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #3,085 of 6,230
Same here! I've had it since Tuesday and I want to listen to it every chance I get.
To me the Atrium has gotten better the more I listen to it. That is the ultimate compliment that I can give a headphone. It doesn't have party tricks that initially make you say WOW! Instead it presents all frequencies is such a pleasing and musical way that the sound just puts you in a comfortable place! I love how I can just sit back and get lost in the sound but if it needs to it can hit hard with dynamics and keep you at the edge of your seat!

Sep 23, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #3,086 of 6,230
Sep 23, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #3,087 of 6,230
To me the Atrium has gotten better the more I listen to it. That is the ultimate compliment that I can give a headphone. It doesn't have party tricks that initially make you say WOW! Instead it presents all frequencies is such a pleasing and musical way that the sound just puts you in a comfortable place! I love how I can just sit back and get lost in the sound but if it needs to it can hit hard with dynamics and keep you at the edge of your seat!
Agreed except I do get wowed by the imaging and soundstage. These are phones you can just put on and get lost in the music! There is no higher praise than that.

Sep 23, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #3,088 of 6,230
Atrium a good can for 90s hip hop, alternative, punk, grunge?
I listen to more 80s hip hop, but it's one of my favorite genres on the Atrium. The bass slam and heft is awesome and the midrange timbre does a bang up job capturing MCs raw emotion.

Sep 24, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #3,089 of 6,230
Ageee with this assessment. I spent a bit of time this past weekend at Justin’s booth, thinking about which I liked best between the Nautilus and Red October. For context, I’m looking for an amp upgrade over my Pendant to pair with my VO’s, as I try (emphasize “try”, as the Atriums sound so good) to wait for the Atrium closed back (per Zach, that’ll be sometime in 2023). Anyway, explaining this to Justin, he recommended I try the Ovation, and it was a beautiful, synergistic pairing with my Verite. Sublime. Either this holiday season or at CanJam NYC I’ll be buying an Ovation, and another gentle reminder that while both the Nautilus and Red October sound stunning in their own right, it isn’t always about the TOTL in this hobby.
Let me caveat this this by saying my Kenzie OG 2 is the only tube amp I ever heard. Nevertheless, it never ceases to amaze me paired with the OG Auteur. Sublime is a most apt word to describe it. It’s the most revelatory purchase I’ve made in this hobby. Watched Resolve’s review of the OG Kenzie again last night and he nailed the sound characteristics of the amp perfectly. Would love to hear some of Justin’s higher end amps. Atrium or Caldera is what I’m hoping to purchase next for a headphone. We’ll see if I can hold out till CJ NYC so I can demo them but I know myself well enough to say that I may end up making the purchase during ZMF’s November sale. :)

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #3,090 of 6,230
I listen to more 80s hip hop, but it's one of my favorite genres on the Atrium. The bass slam and heft is awesome and the midrange timbre does a bang up job capturing MCs raw emotion.
Who do you listen to? Never gravitated to 80s hip hop as much but I can give it another go. Any albums?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back