ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 26, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #3,106 of 6,166
Ok @Andrewteee @Hifiearspeakers ... impatiently waiting for your thoughts ... thanks :) ... Hope you both enjoy the new cans ...

1664210241572.png

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #3,107 of 6,166
Sep 26, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #3,108 of 6,166
Hey all! Went to CanJam this past weekend and ended up getting a stabilized Atrium and the Woo WA23. I have been looking for an amp for little while that will drive my Susvaras, and figured I'd have to get an amp for them and then another tube amp for my Atriums.

After trying a lot of tube and solid state amps on both headphones, I made my way to the Woo room. I listened to the WA23 first and was instantly taken by its imaging, controlled yet powerful bass and overall clean lushness. I then tried the Atriums and those same qualities were there, just with the ZMF tone. I had found THE amp!

I checked out some other stuff, but everything else seemed a little two dimensional after that. Good, but not quite that same kind of magic. I kept making my way back to the Woo room. I tried it on my other headphone that I brought (my Audeze LCD3, probably my all-around favorite) and was just as smitten as that first listen. After meditating on it after lunch on Sunday, I decided to buy the floor unit with the upgraded tubes (Psvane WR2A3 power tubes) that it was being shown with.

This amp is pricey (full price is $9k without the upgraded tubes), but I highly recommend it with the Atrium as well as any other headphones you have if you're able to at least audition at some point. Just wanted to share since the love since it's brought me a lot of joy already at the show and now at home and I know that people, including myself, are always looking for amp pairings for ZMFs - especially tubes!
IMG_8137.jpg
Pricey, but sure pretty. Great look with those Atriums. That is one of the most unique pair I've seen thus far.

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #3,109 of 6,166
same as you guys.. Universe Lambskin... tried playing with couple of others pads, but the stock choices of ZMF seem to always work best for me
Agreed!

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #3,110 of 6,166
The atrium is great for orchestral music. Coming from the susvara and lcd-5 it took a while to adjust to the warmer tone and reduced treble detail. Listening to movie soundtracks or two steps from hell and I will gladly take bass impact, large soundstage, and dynamic slam of the atrium over any planar. I don't need to pinpoint the location of the xylophone player and hear what he had for breakfast.
Unless it is perfectly cooked eggs, late season roasted tomatoes with grilled bread and a side of ZMF...:)

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #3,111 of 6,166
Divination and/or a coin flip.

If you go to the ZMF Pads store page, they have dimensions of each pad (except the BE2 pads). You can get a decent idea of which pad is which, although you might need a caliper or other measuring device to help.

In general for the Atrium, the Auteur pads are the thickest pad with the steepest angle. The BE2 pads will be the thinnest/flattest and the Universe pads will be in-between those two.
It can be hard to tell them apart. Aside from the suede which are, well, suede. The BE2 are definitely the thinnest and they make my gigantic ears warm. I love their sound, especially with the Atrium, but can't make it more than 10 minutes before my ears are hot to the touch. So, I stick with the Universe which fit my ears perfectly and seem to be the sonic middle ground. @heliosphann is right, the ZMF website is probably the best place to discern the differences.

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #3,112 of 6,166
Has anyone compared the Atriums to the Expanse?
@Somatic you've got a seriously impressive line-up of headphones. How are you liking the Susvara and Atrium? Did my impressions mesh with your own? Since you have both you are more qualified to discuss their differences than I.

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #3,113 of 6,166
@Somatic you've got a seriously impressive line-up of headphones. How are you liking the Susvara and Atrium? Did my impressions mesh with your own? Since you have both you are more qualified to discuss their differences than I.
Sorry, I was a little trigger happy. Will get the Atrium in a few days. Can post something when I get them ...

18:29 talks a little about Susvara and Atrium.

@goldwerger might be able to help you in the meantime. He owns both and gave me some good info.

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #3,115 of 6,166
Sorry, I was a little trigger happy. Will get the Atrium in a few days. Can post something when I get them ...

18:29 talks a little about Susvara and Atrium.

@goldwerger might be able to help you in the meantime. He owns both and gave me some good info.

Oh was just curious as you asked me to talk about the different extremities and why I wouldn't compare them as they are such different headphones. Just curious if my thoughts meshed with your own.

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #3,116 of 6,166
Oh was just curious as you asked me to talk about the different extremities and why I wouldn't compare them as they are such different headphones. Just curious if my thoughts meshed with your own.
Defiantly will let you know. They sound to be very different headphones. I am excited. :)

Sep 26, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #3,117 of 6,166
Sep 26, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #3,118 of 6,166
Sep 26, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #3,119 of 6,166
Would love to hear some of Justin’s higher end amps.

If you can get a listen (CanJam NYC?) to his Red October with a ZMF headphone… just wow

The Cocobolo Atriums are in the house and just look stunning oh they sound pretty damn good too.
A new pic from the patio listening.
602D9EE4-D28E-4C82-9110-7697BDAADFE6.jpeg

These look just awesome!!! ❤️😁

about Susvara and Atrium.

To my ears, the Atrium and Susvara are extremely complementary, providing a different listening experience. The Susvara is super resolving, fast, and accurate. But the Atrium offers a much more lush and warm tone that has a great decay on the notes that is just so special. I reach for either based on mood.

I don’t know anything on the market today that occupies quite the same space as the Atrium.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #3,120 of 6,166
Unless it is perfectly cooked eggs, late season roasted tomatoes with grilled bread and a side of ZMF...:)
I want to clarify when I said "over any planar" I meant to say over any planar except the Caldera

Users who are viewing this thread

Back