ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Sep 26, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #3,121 of 6,230
I want to clarify when I said "over any planar" I meant to say over any planar except the Caldera
You are good. I was poking fun of your food reference. Being a chef, all of my references are food related. :)

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #3,123 of 6,230
I was wondering if anyone in here prefer a solid state amp with their atrium?
I prefer my tube amp but my tube amp is a higher end amp than my solid state amp. That being said, the Atrium sounds fantastic on solid state and I’d be perfectly happy with it as my only amp to pair with them. I think they take solid state better than some of the other ZMFs

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #3,124 of 6,230
I prefer my tube amp but my tube amp is a higher end amp than my solid state amp. That being said, the Atrium sounds fantastic on solid state and I’d be perfectly happy with it as my only amp to pair with them. I think they take solid state better than some of the other ZMFs
I have an sw51 and I’m not sure if I just don’t like the tube sound or if it’s just not for me. Others have said how great it is with atrium and vc but I prefer my ifi signature. I’m hoping the amp monster tries will work good with both atrium and caldera.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #3,125 of 6,230
I have an sw51 and I’m not sure if I just don’t like the tube sound or if it’s just not for me. Others have said how great it is with atrium and vc but I prefer my ifi signature. I’m hoping the amp monster tries will work good with both atrium and caldera.
On ZMFs hiZ tubes can bring out the upper mids a bit, which can be a bit much on the atrium with the wrong tubes. I generally find I prefer a different tube roll on them than my VCs. But yeah if you just don’t like how they sound on tubes there’s no shame in driving them via silicon

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #3,126 of 6,230
To me it like took away the treble and the sound wasn’t as sharp. It was noticeably warmer and I could see why it’d be a pleasant sound but that particular sound wasn’t for me. I kind of wish I could try other tube amps before writing them off but a solid state would work for caldera.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #3,127 of 6,230
I’m pretty much in the tube camp but would have loved to try a pair of Atrium’s on the Zahl HM-1 as I only heard the Stealth and Expanse from it and just a fantastic sounding amp but would probably go with a Woo WA-23 as this might be my next amp.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #3,129 of 6,230
I concur. Atrium sounds great on my R28 and my Cembalo Spring 1, but sounds truly sublime on my Icon HP8.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #3,130 of 6,230
I like both my ECP T4 and Bakoon HPA-21 pretty much equally so far.
Quite the surprise as the Bakoon is usually better with lower impedance cans (and, of course, planars out of the current output).

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #3,131 of 6,230
My limited take on the Atrium-SW51 pairing is that the Atrium can personify the chain to such elevated states in stage and bass and even clarity (in its way). So they hav the ability to amplify the nature of the SW51 to extreme levels. If the sw51 is dry on Aeolus or Auteur OGs, it’s like the Sahara desert in my Atriums. Bone dry. Technically rich but lacks the warmth of tubes that I prefer.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #3,132 of 6,230
I generally find I prefer a different tube roll on them than my VCs.
I've yet to find a single tube roll that suits all of my high impedance headphones. What sounds good for the Atrium doesnt necessarily sound good with VO/VC, or any of my other headphones. It's not that a tube roll sounds "bad" on another ZMF, rather it lacks the wow factor that a great tube roll can do

IMHO, tube amps are a pretty significant commitment to experimenting and draining one's wallet, but well worth the effort.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #3,133 of 6,230
Zahl HM-1
did you get a chance to compare it to Enleum 23r? Both are supposedly quite special amps, and specially expensive too

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #3,134 of 6,230
did you get a chance to compare it to Enleum 23r? Both are supposedly quite special amps, and specially expensive too
Enleum is commercially available and can work as speaker amp for efficient speakers. Also available for home demo. HM1 is owned by very few and all those who have heard it and experienced it have done so in show condition. I find it absurd to put down 8K and then wait for 6 months based on few reviews taken from show condition. But that's just me.

Sep 26, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #3,135 of 6,230
I’m pretty much in the tube camp but would have loved to try a pair of Atrium’s on the Zahl HM-1 as I only heard the Stealth and Expanse from it and just a fantastic sounding amp but would probably go with a Woo WA-23 as this might be my next amp.
Agreed - the HM-1 was fantastic. I wound up pre-ordering the HM-1. Hopefully I can try the Atriums on it at CanJam NYC in February before I actually wind up receiving one so I can make a more informed decision before then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back