ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 26, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #2,012 of 6,212
Yes, I have a Bottlehead Crack Speedball, which I know may not be an ideal tube amp. I hope to purchase a TOTL tube amp in the future. Maybe I'm not in an ideal set up for the VO.
While I have not heard BHC myself, many who own it say its great. Do you ever roll tubes?
A quick Google says that it takes a 12au7 as well as a 6080. I do not have much experience with the 12au7, I do know 6080s and their family pretty well. Tube mfgers had a "house sound" so to speak. You may want to track down a Telefunken for added upper mid/ treble energy. Fivres also are mid centric, but not as bright as Telefunkens. Sylvanias have some sparkle in the treble region as well.

If the BHC can take a 5998 (?) that will help too. Telefunken also made a 6080, but they are quite hard to find and a lot of fake Telefunken 6080s out there, so be careful.

Tubes generally have similar characteristics in various amps, but their overall sound can vary depending upon an amp's topology and design, so YMMV.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #2,013 of 6,212
The joinery on those wood boxes is in the same shape as the "sine pulse" part of the ZMF logo. I love stuff like this. Zach's attention to detail is truly out of this world.

Wow, I never noticed that. If that was intended, that is some next level genius stuff right there.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #2,014 of 6,212
Wow. Quite heavy :wink: but the are just beautiful. No hot spots? Are they still comfortable enough?

Thank You for letting me know about the price :)
I'm burning them in currently, so I haven't had much head time with them yet.

Never had any problems with the original ZMF headband, and the crescent strap is even better for comfort and weight distribution. Don't anticipate any issues.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #2,015 of 6,212
While I have not heard BHC myself, many who own it say its great. Do you ever roll tubes?
A quick Google says that it takes a 12au7 as well as a 6080. I do not have much experience with the 12au7, I do know 6080s and their family pretty well. Tube mfgers had a "house sound" so to speak. You may want to track down a Telefunken for added upper mid/ treble energy. Fivres also are mid centric, but not as bright as Telefunkens. Sylvanias have some sparkle in the treble region as well.

If the BHC can take a 5998 (?) that will help too. Telefunken also made a 6080, but they are quite hard to find and a lot of fake Telefunken 6080s out there, so be careful.

Tubes generally have similar characteristics in various amps, but their overall sound can vary depending upon an amp's topology and design, so YMMV.
^ this.

A well built BHC with top notch tubes (and some select components) is truly a great OTL. Don't let it's price fool ya into thinking it's some entry level piece. :wink:

I've heard some amazing and expensive amps, but I've yet to feel the desire to move on from my Crackatwoa (Telefunken 12AU7, Bendix 6080)

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #2,016 of 6,212
WD40, if you know it in the USA, should also work.
I'd be very cautious using that around finished wood. WD40 was developed as a solvent, not a lubricant. Depending on the finish used, any overspray of WD40 on the finish could be destructive.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #2,017 of 6,212
I'd be very cautious using that around finished wood. WD40 was developed as a solvent, not a lubricant. Depending on the finish used, any overspray of WD40 on the finish could be destructive.
I read somewhere, prolly a meme on FB, that it was originally made to treat bruises on people....

Serious.

Jul 26, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #2,018 of 6,212
Jul 26, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #2,019 of 6,212
Speaking of Porcupine Tree, the In Absentia album is excellent. You can always count on their music to be recorded very well. I've yet to find band that captures the different sounds and tones of drums better than Porcupine tree.

Jul 26, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #2,020 of 6,212
I read somewhere, prolly a meme on FB, that it was originally made to treat bruises on people....

Serious.
Never heard that.

I prefer to think it was originally developed to treat bruises on robots/robot welders.

Jul 26, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #2,021 of 6,212

Thanks- Yes, I've rolled quite a bit on the BHC, including various 6080, 6as7g, and 5998. It's a fine/OK amp, I suppose. I definitely think my VO sound "darker" with less prominence in the highs when using the BHC. Just plugged them into my RME ADI2 DAC's solid state amp section and they brighten up quite nicely. I'm concluding the BHC might be the rate limiting step and it's softening the high end a bit (which I know can happen with tube amps).

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #2,023 of 6,212
hence why I had the Glacier built with dual mono, also makes having a matched set of tubes less of an issue.
That is a great option to have. Certainly not the cheapest nor is it widely available outside of DIY but definitely makes it less of an issue. Was hoping to get @L0rdGwyn's OTL to go along with my Atrium but since it's no longer available I'd shift my focus back to listening.

I heard and read a lot about the Atrium soundstage and I have the same impression that it is really big. Maybe not as big like HD800s but many reviewers said it is one of the biggest out there. I am a little bit disappointed after Your description :frowning2:
It is very difficult to describe sound stage without first knowing your point of reference. The Atrium does stage very well both in depth and width. In terms of stage width it easily beats out the Utopia and is pretty on par with D8k, Verite. Possibly the widest sounding and most open sounding ZMF at the point of writing.

Jul 27, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #2,024 of 6,212
@zach915m Hi Zach, I'm looking at the Atrium LTD Cocobolo on your website and wanted to what this configuration in the picture below was

1658926119140.png

Am I correct in saying this is the Aluminium Chasis + Black+ Copper Grill & Rod?

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #2,025 of 6,212
It is very difficult to describe sound stage without first knowing your point of reference. The Atrium does stage very well both in depth and width. In terms of stage width it easily beats out the Utopia and is pretty on par with D8k, Verite. Possibly the widest sounding and most open sounding ZMF at the point of writing.
Thank You for Your description :) You are right. For me dimension is not all. I have never heard any of ZMF cans. Atrium would be my first “blind” buy if a pull the trigger.

My reference regarding soundstage is:
LCD-X - small intimate,
Arya V2 - big natural
Heddphone - big but with little unnatural effects.

Ultrasone 15 - (with EQ) most natural and like speaker wise Soundstage

Haven’t heard Utopia and had 15 minutes with D8000 on audio show so I don’t remember them too much :frowning2:

PS: forgot about HD800s - too big, exaggerated and unnatural for me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back