ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 27, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #2,041 of 6,223
Atrium is picky with amp ?
I found it to be, yes. But I'm picky about my chain, and will tweak it incessantly until I feel it sounds just right. For example, I find the Auteur to have quite a bit of treble presence, which can fatigue me on long listening sessions. So I built my system (R2R NOS dac and Kenzie tube amp) to soften the highs while bringing a mild warmth to the Auteur. Thankfully I found the Atticus also sounds excellent on that setup. But when I got my Atrium and plugged it in, it sounded off to me. I felt it was a touch too slow and rolled off sounding, which my system exacerbated. I kept the dac, which I love, but swapped an MZ2 in for the Kenzie, and the Atrium sounded amazing on it. The MZ2 is a faster, brighter amp overall, which I felt synergized excellently with the Atrium. So for me personally, I'd call it amp picky because I'm picky.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #2,042 of 6,223
@zach915m Hi Zach, I'm looking at the Atrium LTD Cocobolo on your website and wanted to what this configuration in the picture below was

1658926119140.png

Am I correct in saying this is the Aluminium Chasis + Black+ Copper Grill & Rod?
Yes correct!!!!
Thank You for Your description :) You are right. For me dimension is not all. I have never heard any of ZMF cans. Atrium would be my first “blind” buy if a pull the trigger.

My reference regarding soundstage is:
LCD-X - small intimate,
Arya V2 - big natural
Heddphone - big but with little unnatural effects.

Ultrasone 15 - (with EQ) most natural and like speaker wise Soundstage

Haven’t heard Utopia and had 15 minutes with D8000 on audio show so I don’t remember them too much :frowning2:

PS: forgot about HD800s - too big, exaggerated and unnatural for me

My goal with the Atrium and the ADS (Atrium Damping System) was that the stage could be more "true to source" instead of just unnaturally big and/or small the way some headphones are. So that the chain and music will determine more what size the stage is than the headphone. I know that's not totally possible, but that's the perception in use case/listening I was after.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 27, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #2,043 of 6,223
Yes correct!!!!

So that the chain and music will determine more what size the stage is than the headphone.
I think that's a perfect summation of the Atrium's soundstage. It's a chameleon in how it's size and shape fluctuates based off the gear and music it's fed. At times I feel sounds are so wide I look over thinking someone is in the room, but that's because the track was made that way. Most of the time I find the stage to be very natural sounding as if i'm in the midst of the recording.

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #2,044 of 6,223
I found it to be, yes. But I'm picky about my chain, and will tweak it incessantly until I feel it sounds just right. For example, I find the Auteur to have quite a bit of treble presence, which can fatigue me on long listening sessions. So I built my system (R2R NOS dac and Kenzie tube amp) to soften the highs while brining a mild warmth to the Auteur. Thankfully I found the Atticus also sounds excellent on that setup. But when I got my Atrium and plugged it in, it sounded off to me. I felt it was a touch too slow and rolled off sounding, which my system exacerbated. I kept the dac, which I love, but swapped an MZ2 in for the Kenzie, and the Atrium sounded amazing on it. The MZ2 is a faster, brighter amp overall, which I felt synergized excellently with the Atrium. So for me personally, I'd call it amp picky because I'm picky.
Having gone through the same thing with my chain vis-a-vis Utopia, I don't think you're picky, but rather just want to get the very best out of your gear. I used to think

... these Utopia are so great, I should really love them, but there's just something ...

Nothing wrong with tweaking your chain to help system synergy.

I tried a fair bit of system tweaking while I had the Atrium loaner. Ended up preferring:

Digione ==> mScaler ==> TT2 (dac out) ==> DSHA-3F ==> Atrium

over other choices. The detail of the TT2 delivered via the control and precision of the 3F worked really well. But I didn't dislike Atrium straight out of the mTT2, and direct out of my Audio-gd Master 11 was also very good. Became a matter of whether you like a little more headstage air, or a bit more bass impact, or slightly more prominent vocals? Sort of 'tuning' the system.

Jul 27, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #2,045 of 6,223
wWHjUN1_d.webp
Macassar Ebony?

I really like the way the steel looks with the very dark wood of this set -- great contrast.

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #2,047 of 6,223
My goal with the Atrium and the ADS (Atrium Damping System) was that the stage could be more "true to source" instead of just unnaturally big and/or small the way some headphones are. So that the chain and music will determine more what size the stage is than the headphone. I know that's not totally possible, but that's the perception in use case/listening I was after.
I think that's a perfect summation of the Atrium's soundstage. It's a chameleon in how it's size and shape fluctuates based off the gear and music it's fed. At times I feel sounds are so wide I look over thinking someone is in the room, but that's because the track was made that way. Most of the time I find the stage to be very natural sounding as if i'm in the midst of the recording.

Looks like perfect for me :wink: I hope it will be :) I am looking for a natural, live like soundstage. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean widest, biggest, exaggerated etc. I don’t want to hear a cathedral live concert when I listen to a rock track where two guys recorded it in a small garage :p Big is not always better… but… when I listen to a acoustic track recorded in a biiiig hall, I want to be there, feel it.

Truth that it should depends mostly on where and how music was recorded and how it was mastered.

Just like You @zach915m intended and @erics75 described :wink:

Jul 27, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #2,048 of 6,223
Hello sorry, so the Atrium is a forgiving headphone ? Easier to drive ?
its sensitivity is slightly lower than VO and VC. When I go from the Atrium to one of the Verites I always forget to drop the volume a bit and end up startling the crap out of myself

IMO, its def more forgiving of garbage production than either Verite for sure, but like the Verites, they sound epic when fed a well mastered 24bit file
Third, I’m grateful to @Monsterzero for posting tracks that he thinks shows off how the Atrium presents soundstage.
Glad to help. I used to be a DJ for many years, so sharing music is part of my DNA. Also that last most recent post I made was just a few tunes off the top of my head and certainly not limited to.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #2,049 of 6,223
Yes, Macassar Ebony. I was a little worried about the "ruby red" but it ends up matching the burgandy on my transformer covers perfectly so all looks great together.
Looks fantastic! I am loving all these new different colored chassis and their use of them seems designed really more to go with than stand out from the cups. The releases and options the past 4 months have been diverse and stunning.

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #2,050 of 6,223
I have nothing but good things to say about the BHC, especially with the Speedball. Don't think that you're losing much when it comes to the "better" stuff. For that price, it punches well above its class. I think it's a great combo with the VO, as well. But of course YMMV. With that said, your later comment about the mids and highs on the amp is kinda spot-on....

I would love to try the Crackatwoa (I want to buy one some day). I don't know how it would compare to the Mainline, which I used to have. I figure, though, that it would be a delight to own.

So you say the VO sounds a little "dark" with the BHC. I can understand this impression, and it's not completely wrong. I find that the BHC may have a lack of punctuation when it comes to the highs, and even though the bass slams like a monster (with stock 6080 tubes), and the mids are beautiful, it may be slightly anemic with the highs. I find the VO excels at the mid-high to high range, and you may be right in your impression that the highs are not so succint (and never close to sibilant) compared to other amps.
You stated that you have tried the 6as7g, which I think helps brighten the upper register a bit, while also reducing the bass a tad (I have a Sovtek 6as7g, if that helps for comparison).
Also mentioning the DAC you use is helpful. I haven't upgraded my stuff in years now, but when I want a "milkier" and more "organic" sound with the BHC, I find my AK120 is a great accompaniment. But when I use my AK320, it's much more precise, with more open clarity in the upper registry.
Thus, if you want to get more "neutrality" and clearer highs with your VO using the BHC, try the 6as7g with a more "tinny" DAC?

Finally, with the V281 pre-amped into the BHC and played through the VO... Wow. Speed, precision, bass impact, soundstage and clarity in the highs all seem to have a magical synergy. The BHC adds a slight "analog" touch and milky smoothness that rounds out the streamlined sterility of JUST the V281. So.... if you have a solid state source that favors precision, clarity, "neutrality", and emphasizes the highs - maybe combine that with the BHC, using a 6as7g, with the VO plugged in? I wonder what kind of magic would happen with that sound chain!
Thanks- great advice. I’ll give it a go, with the 6as7g and see how things sound.
roBMNzh.jpg

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #2,051 of 6,223
I'd say it's picky in the sense that some amps will really elevate the experience, but they sound good on pretty much anything
I'm noticing that as well with the Atrium being very accommodating with my amps or DAC/amp combos. I wanted to try a real OTL circuit designed tube amp while I wait on my Decware order which is pending a year or so. I took a gamble on a new model from RAAL/Requisite (PDT-1a) which had very little reviews and does not seem to be available anymore from the partnership between the two companies. HeadAmp had an open box discounted so I gave it a shot. It makes the Atrium shine expanding on its holographic impressions. My other dynamic headphones sound nice on it as well but the Atrium responds most sweetly. I'm liking it however this sucker is a heater and makes me nervous how hot it gets.
I posted a few comments about it on their thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal-requisite-the-official-pdt-1a-discussion-thread.962612/
What I did find picky were most of my my planar models which did not respond well and were kind of flat/weak on it.

Jul 27, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #2,052 of 6,223
What I did find picky were most of my my planar models which did not respond well and were kind of flat/weak on it.
Generally speaking, planars and OTLs are not a good match. There are a few exceptions, like the Glenn , which can take the monster 6336 tubes, but even then if you were to base your thoughts on the GOTL by the way it sounds with planars, you most likely would be unimpressed.
The same can be said for low impedance dynamic headphones and OTLs, though @robo24 GOTL makes the AKG K701 sound like a flagship headphone.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #2,053 of 6,223
Generally speaking, planars and OTLs are not a good match. There are a few exceptions, like the Glenn , which can take the monster 6336 tubes, but even then if you were to base your thoughts on the GOTL by the way it sounds with planars, you most likely would be unimpressed.
The same can be said for low impedance dynamic headphones and OTLs, though @robo24 GOTL makes the AKG K701 sound like a flagship headphone.
Out of topic, the same could said with HD250 Linear 1 and K240 Sexttet right ? Atrium for both solid state and tubes ?

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #2,054 of 6,223
Yes, my ears say very forgiving -- noticed that on a few different tracks. Easier to drive? Than what? Almost exactly the same as my OG Auteur.

I wouldn't say picky, but it does change sound with different amps. Not as much of a chameleon as my Auteur, but close.
I find most amp/dac sound exactly the same regardless which headphone.

Jul 28, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #2,055 of 6,223
Let me throw this question out here…

What’s the absolute best OTL one could buy today (any budget) for ZMF headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back