ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
Jul 26, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #1,996 of 6,216
Great review! I had the Atrium and tried a couple different pads/amp combos and have a couple suggestions based off some of the things you're looking for. Hope this helps!
  • First off, no you never will get HD800S soundstage with the Atrium. I haven't heard the TC, so can't compare. Not sure where you read about Atrium soundstage being at those levels but, while it's the most open ZMF, it's still a little more on the intimate side with the soundstage. It's wide for sure but won't equal soundstage masters.
  • To increase the sound stage AND bass, I'd highly recommend the Auteur pads. I had the Auteur lambskins on my Atriums and preferred them over the Universe pads to a large degree. It does increase the sound stage and makes the bass punchier imo but will also darken the sound a bit along with that. I never got the hybrid Auteur pads for my Atrium but I recently switched to those on my VC's from the lambskin and that helped brighten up the darker sound while retaining the sound stage + bass benefits. Might be the move for the Atrium!
  • If you can, try different tubes with the Atrium. I have never heard the Folkvangr, but tube swapping on my Euforia made a huge difference and allowed me to make some adjustments I was really looking for. Loved the Atriums on my Euforia when I was looking for increased bass bump and wider soundstage. My SS amp, inversely, tightened up these elements which was great for fast paced rock and metal but I mostly preferred the Atrium on tubes outside of a couple genres/songs.
I wonder what the included set of pads are. Can't tell if they're Verite or Auteur. I didn't pick them because of the rush to order (and I don't think there was a choice anyway). I think they're Verite as they're similar to the BE2 I ordered separately. Will check out Auteur as well, thanks!

Holding off on tube rolling with FV until others figure out good options but definitely will once others figure that out.

as to cables - I have boh Lektrik S and 2K. The former is unsleeved, and that is the main reason I prefer it. It just makes for a bit lighter and more ergonomic cable. So I recommend not sleeving your cable. I persoanlly like the Lektrik S unsleeved white color look with the Macassar Ebony. I could tell you there was some deeper reason for this match, but I'm in an honest mood... :sweat_smile:
Unsleeved it is, thanks! I think the copper color with the Macassar Ebony is more my aesthetic so probably no Lektrik S for me.

Is that persisting?

I have both. Cant go wrong with either, and I agree with the above post, leave it unsleeved.
The 2K is a bit smoother sounding vs. Lektrik in my system.
Channel imbalance is persisting, very slightly.

Smoother is what I think I want as a good match for the Atrium + FV, so it sounds like I'll be picking up a 2K.

The channel matching is likely more to do with the amp than the headphone. This happens with all stereo potentiometer. Some configuration have better channel tracking than others but all tube amps I’ve heard have imbalance at extreme low range.
That was my initial thought as well, but I just tried turning the amp way down and it wasn't shifting balance. Turning it up last night didn't immediately resolve it, either.

As someone else mentioned for more general reasons, burn-in might be a factor here. The imbalance seems to be slowly fading away--I thought it was gone within 60min of listening.

However, I've checked against other headphones this morning to make sure it wasn't just me getting used to it and I can still hear it slightly. Vocals are consistently coming from slightly left of center. Will try the stock non-OFC cable later today.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #1,997 of 6,216
Thank you- Just trying to understand the difference in mids/high frequencies between the two, as I find the VO a bit more relaxed in those frequencies than I'd like.
I broke out my VO yesterday after a few weeks for a listening session. Note all these are relative and in comparison against my Ziricote VO on BE2 lambskin pads.

Highs:
  • VO has more treble presence. Cymbal clashes and high hats are more pronounced and there's more air.
  • Treble on the Atrium do not have the same level of shimmer as the VO. Cymbals and high hats sound a bit more distant in comparison.
  • Slight peak around the 5k mark. Not something that affect my listening but just thought I'd point that out.
  • There is sufficient energy and plenty nuanced. Think hd600/650 highs but much livelier and better extension.
Mids:
  • In comparison to VO, Atrium's mids are more even and a bit more mid centric in a way.
  • Guitars have more grit and energy and vocals are more pronounce on Atrium. The VO is more relax sounding.
  • There is a certain lush quality to the Atrium. A tad loose but very organic sounding. The VO has a tighter overall presentation.
  • I'd say they are about on par in terms of resolution in the mids and highs but the VO have a slight edge in overall separation and layering.
  • Timbre is very different between the 2. I personally prefer the biocell timbre as it sounded more natural to my ears.

Thank you both- I'll read up.

I've had the VO for about 8 months and I find the upper mids and highs a bit more relaxed compared to the detailed and crisp high end from my OG Auteur. While I like the VO, I miss the crispness in the high frequencies that I get with my Auteur. I do find the low end of the VO quite good compared to the Auteur (which is more lean in the bass, but it makes up for it nicely in the midrange and upper frequencies). I was curious about how the Atrium compares with level of detail in the upper mids and highs compared to the VO. I understand that the Atrium may have more bass (which I definitely don't need, I think).
Overall I'd say they are pretty comparable and quite complimentary to each other. I'd suggest looking elsewhere if you're looking for a headphone that has more treble and air as no ZMF will cut it. I believe @zach915m explained his tuning philosophy in one of his videos so I'd highly recommend checking that out. In terms of Atrium's bass quantity, it can vary quite a bit depending on your amplification but I've not confirmed how it actually works so I won't expanding on this subject but we can certainly pick this up in PM.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #1,998 of 6,216
I am so excited to finally own the Atrium! I was lucky enough to catch a killer deal on the aged cherry / aged copper with magnesium chassis for $2350! I already adore my VC and now I will have a ZMF open and closed back. After hearing the VC with my wa22 it was over. I fell in love with ZMF! Here's to hoping FedEx doesn't have any delays! Lol

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #1,999 of 6,216
I wonder what the included set of pads are.
Universe are afaik the stock pads for Atrium (which personally I like)

Unsleeved it is, thanks! I think the copper color with the Macassar Ebony is more my aesthetic so probably no Lektrik S for me.
Here is what the unsleeved Leitrik S look like with my Atrium (taken at CanJam, where I picked them up)

Attachments

• B77A8A89-0161-419D-B720-3221FC9CF1E2.jpeg
    B77A8A89-0161-419D-B720-3221FC9CF1E2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 26, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #2,000 of 6,216
Universe are afaik the stock pads for Atrium (which personally I like)

Here is what the unsleeved Leitrik S look like with my Atrium (taken at CanJam, where I picked them up)
Agree the installed pads are Universe, but what are the 2nd set?

Thanks for the Lektrik S shot! The Coffee Gold connector is a nice match too, hmmm.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #2,001 of 6,216
Agree the installed pads are Universe, but what are the 2nd set?
Sorry I missed that, I really don’t know. That would vary based on individual orders.

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #2,002 of 6,216
Sorry I missed that, I really don’t know. That would vary based on individual orders.
Macassar Ebony (and I think all Hot Cup Summer) buyers didn't get a choice. I think the page just said "ZMF Stock Pads and Secondary Pads".

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #2,003 of 6,216
I just weighed my Atrium on two different scales. Average was 608g, so the Macassar Ebony's w/aged copper and mag chassis are beefy boys. I definitely noticed it pulling it out of the case for the first time. The stock cherry w/mag chassis I have only weighs 467g, so that's a pretty significant difference.

Also the price was $2999
Yikes I also have Ebony coming but they may be too heavy for me :scream:

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #2,004 of 6,216
I heard and read a lot about the Atrium soundstage and I have the same impression that it is really big. Maybe not as big like HD800s but many reviewers said it is one of the biggest out there. I am a little bit disappointed after Your description :frowning2:
The staging on the Atrium is interesting, and in my experience quite dependant upon the song/album you're listening to. On some songs the staging can be "normal" , not small and not huge. On other songs however the staging can really catch you off guard with its width and height.

On my system and off of the top of my head, here are a few songs where the staging/imaging/layering is fantastic.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #2,005 of 6,216
yShFhKo.jpg

I can't wait to get home and hear how they sound.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #2,006 of 6,216
Thank you- Just trying to understand the difference in mids/high frequencies between the two, as I find the VO a bit more relaxed in those frequencies than I'd like.
do you have a tube amp and/or rolled pads? That being said I feel like the Atrium has more prominent mids than the VO. I'd really have to go back and do an a/b on the highs. I find them both to have less energy in that dept. vs. Auteur.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #2,007 of 6,216
VO definitely has a few more dips in the upper register to my ears, still a wonderful listen...just different. I think the highs are overall more linear with the Atrium, and slightly more emphasized on the VO. Generally speaking of course, amps & DACs do make a difference here I think.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #2,008 of 6,216
do you have a tube amp and/or rolled pads? That being said I feel like the Atrium has more prominent mids than the VO. I'd really have to go back and do an a/b on the highs. I find them both to have less energy in that dept. vs. Auteur.
Yes, I have a Bottlehead Crack Speedball, which I know may not be an ideal tube amp. I hope to purchase a TOTL tube amp in the future. Maybe I'm not in an ideal set up for the VO.
I broke out my VO yesterday after a few weeks for a listening session. Note all these are relative and in comparison against my Ziricote VO on BE2 lambskin pads.

Highs:
  • VO has more treble presence. Cymbal clashes and high hats are more pronounced and there's more air.
  • Treble on the Atrium do not have the same level of shimmer as the VO. Cymbals and high hats sound a bit more distant in comparison.
  • Slight peak around the 5k mark. Not something that affect my listening but just thought I'd point that out.
  • There is sufficient energy and plenty nuanced. Think hd600/650 highs but much livelier and better extension.
Mids:
  • In comparison to VO, Atrium's mids are more even and a bit more mid centric in a way.
  • Guitars have more grit and energy and vocals are more pronounce on Atrium. The VO is more relax sounding.
  • There is a certain lush quality to the Atrium. A tad loose but very organic sounding. The VO has a tighter overall presentation.
  • I'd say they are about on par in terms of resolution in the mids and highs but the VO have a slight edge in overall separation and layering.
  • Timbre is very different between the 2. I personally prefer the biocell timbre as it sounded more natural to my ears.

Overall I'd say they are pretty comparable and quite complimentary to each other. I'd suggest looking elsewhere if you're looking for a headphone that has more treble and air as no ZMF will cut it. I believe @zach915m explained his tuning philosophy in one of his videos so I'd highly recommend checking that out. In terms of Atrium's bass quantity, it can vary quite a bit depending on your amplification but I've not confirmed how it actually works so I won't expanding on this subject but we can certainly pick this up in PM.
Understood and thank you for taking the time for this detailed post. I'm going to see if I get better results out of my VO if I try a different amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back