ZMF Atrium Closed
Mar 1, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #2,881 of 3,215
Pulled the trigger on the Queensland Maple. I was going back and forth between that and the Cocobolo, but my AO is Redheart so I went with something that will add some nice color contrast when they sit next to each other.

What can I say, esthetics matter.

Now the wait begins.......Oh the terrible, terrible wait.

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #2,882 of 3,215
There was a harp in one of the songs on the right side and this thing sounded like it was 2 feet outside the cup. I legit listened played that part a few times and was amazed.
Same- I will listen to good recordings in my ACs in the evening if my wife has gone to bed early (she’s a middle school teacher and has to get up super early), and often I’ll hear small noises made in the recording studio off to the side of my listening chair…

I take off my headphones and “the room changes”- literally the acoustic environment shifts from the space “I was in” with the ACs on back to my living room.

With the right gear it’s nothing short of uncanny. And I hardly have mega-buck gear, either…

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #2,883 of 3,215
Hi guys, just wanted to share some impressions after a few weeks with my olive wood AC.

My unit is very light weight, much lighter than my Verite. The magnesium chassis helps with that. It was a pre-built unit from November, so I didn't choose the magnesium specifically, but I'm happy with it, lighter is always better

As a curiosity, the cups actually have a soft olive oil smell! I remember some people reporting something similar here and I was curious about it. I mean, it's very soft but noticeable and nice.

Regarding the sound, just some comments on three aspects that have pleasantly surprised me. Always with Caldera suede pads. The stock ones are a lot of fun, but too much for me and I switched them after two weeks. I'll probably come back to them again at some point, but for now I'm settling on the suede.

First is the tonality and how it changes with the rolling of the pad. I had read the Caldera suede pads softened the bass and gave more air and a larger stage, but I didn't expect to get such a linear tonality that works so well with most genres. The excellent bass and sub-bass are there and come through when the recording requires it, but to my ears the rest of the FR is very well balanced and makes these headphones very good and versatile for me. It works very well with practically all genres, from bass-heavier like hip-hop or electronic, to others like pop, rock (Pink Floyd is delicious), jazz, acoustic, and even classical (big surprise for me, more on this later)

The second aspect is the timbre. Honestly, there is no surprise here. I love the timbre with the Verite, and now I love it with the AC too (and maybe even more). I haven't tried all the ZMFs, but I think the timbre is one of the things that has me hooked on this brand. The way these headphones reproduce the sound of instruments and voices is so natural, organic, life-like, and all that words we use to express that it’s so similar to reality. Verite’s and AC’s timbre are slightly different, but both wonderful. Neither better nor worse, just different, and well balanced with their two different sound signatures. I love the piano with the AC (the attack to the notes, the weight, sweetness and slow decay... wonderful) and I think I prefer violins and guitars with the Verite (fast, tactile and detailed but not harsh)

And the third would be the soundstage and how well the AC (I guess the ADS) works to locate the instruments in it. The Verite has been my daily driver for almost a year, and I love how it reproduces the music, specifically the classical music, with that fast and detailed, lush sound and its big and holographic stage. In the opposite, the AC sound is a bit slower with more decay, less detailed, and presents a smaller sound stage (being a closed back). So I didn’t expect to listen to much classical music with it, but surprisingly I found myself enjoying a lot of classical musical recordings with the AC. After wondering why, and doing some A/B between both the Verite and the AC, my thought is that the ADS in the AC is doing a very good job “ordering” the music and the instruments in the sound stage, and that’s important and noticeable with complex classical music recordings. Although in a smaller “space”, the instruments have always enough air to breathe, and the music never gets congested, having a natural cohesion that is fantastic. I mean, I wouldn’t say that the AC is the ideal headphone for classical, but it does very good

Well and that’s all. I’m very happy with the AC and how it complements the Verite. I’ve owned some mid-priced planar magnetic headphones in the past that sounded great, but to me the timbre and lack of weight in the notes were always the weak points. I know the Caldera is a different beast and has me intrigued (as does the upcoming CC) so maybe I’ll give them a try at some point, but for now, I think I’m done with these two nice dynamic driver headphones. I’m already starting to look for a proper tube amp to push these beauties to their limits (and beyond….)

1709478102788.jpeg

1709478125741.jpeg

1709478172061.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #2,884 of 3,215
Hi guys, just wanted to share some impressions after a few weeks with my olive wood AC.

My unit is very light weight, much lighter than my Verite. The magnesium chassis helps with that. It was a pre-built unit from November, so I didn't choose the magnesium specifically, but I'm happy with it, lighter is always better

As a curiosity, the cups actually have a soft olive oil smell! I remember some people reporting something similar here and I was curious about it. I mean, it's very soft but noticeable and nice.

Regarding the sound, just some comments on three aspects that have pleasantly surprised me. Always with Caldera suede pads. The stock ones are a lot of fun, but too much for me and I switched them after two weeks. I'll probably come back to them again at some point, but for now I'm settling on the suede.

First is the tonality and how it changes with the rolling of the pad. I had read the Caldera suede pads softened the bass and gave more air and a larger stage, but I didn't expect to get such a linear tonality that works so well with most genres. The excellent bass and sub-bass are there and come through when the recording requires it, but to my ears the rest of the FR is very well balanced and makes these headphones very good and versatile for me. It works very well with practically all genres, from bass-heavier like hip-hop or electronic, to others like pop, rock (Pink Floyd is delicious), jazz, acoustic, and even classical (big surprise for me, more on this later)

The second aspect is the timbre. Honestly, there is no surprise here. I love the timbre with the Verite, and now I love it with the AC too (and maybe even more). I haven't tried all the ZMFs, but I think the timbre is one of the things that has me hooked on this brand. The way these headphones reproduce the sound of instruments and voices is so natural, organic, life-like, and all that words we use to express that it’s so similar to reality. Verite’s and AC’s timbre are slightly different, but both wonderful. Neither better nor worse, just different, and well balanced with their two different sound signatures. I love the piano with the AC (the attack to the notes, the weight, sweetness and slow decay... wonderful) and I think I prefer violins and guitars with the Verite (fast, tactile and detailed but not harsh)

And the third would be the soundstage and how well the AC (I guess the ADS) works to locate the instruments in it. The Verite has been my daily driver for almost a year, and I love how it reproduces the music, specifically the classical music, with that fast and detailed, lush sound and its big and holographic stage. In the opposite, the AC sound is a bit slower with more decay, less detailed, and presents a smaller sound stage (being a closed back). So I didn’t expect to listen to much classical music with it, but surprisingly I found myself enjoying a lot of classical musical recordings with the AC. After wondering why, and doing some A/B between both the Verite and the AC, my thought is that the ADS in the AC is doing a very good job “ordering” the music and the instruments in the sound stage, and that’s important and noticeable with complex classical music recordings. Although in a smaller “space”, the instruments have always enough air to breathe, and the music never gets congested, having a natural cohesion that is fantastic. I mean, I wouldn’t say that the AC is the ideal headphone for classical, but it does very good

Well and that’s all. I’m very happy with the AC and how it complements the Verite. I’ve owned some mid-priced planar magnetic headphones in the past that sounded great, but to me the timbre and lack of weight in the notes were always the weak points. I know the Caldera is a different beast and has me intrigued (as does the upcoming CC) so maybe I’ll give them a try at some point, but for now, I think I’m done with these two nice dynamic driver headphones. I’m already starting to look for a proper tube amp to push these beauties to their limits (and beyond….)

1709478102788.jpeg

1709478125741.jpeg

1709478172061.jpeg
Great review, thanks for sharing!

If your tube amp is specifically for these two headphones, I highly recommend going with an OTL tube amp… but I’m pretty sure you saw that coming. 😆

Mar 3, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #2,885 of 3,215
Great review, thanks for sharing!

If your tube amp is specifically for these two headphones, I highly recommend going with an OTL tube amp… but I’m pretty sure you saw that coming. 😆
Hey, thanks sir!

Yes I would like to get an OTL, although I've also had a look at the Cayin HA-3A and Icon HP8, both OTC and also great for ZMFs from what I have read

Lately I'm following the Eufonika OTL amps. Hand made in Poland, very good price and it seems they also match the ZMF dynamics very well

Mar 3, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #2,886 of 3,215
Hey, thanks sir!

Yes I would like to get an OTL, although I've also had a look at the Cayin HA-3A and Icon HP8, both OTC and also great for ZMFs from what I have read

Lately I'm following the Eufonika OTL amps. Hand made in Poland, very good price and it seems they also match the ZMF dynamics very well
I used the HA-3A with the Verite Closed and Aeolus for a while. It’s quite nice for the price. Little too linear for my taste, but I could see why others would love it.

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #2,887 of 3,215
I used the HA-3A with the Verite Closed and Aeolus for a while. It’s quite nice for the price. Little too linear for my taste, but I could see why others would love it.
@Rollnrock if you wanted to go more “all in” for the OTL smoother/richer sound, I certainly would recommend the Woo WA2. I don’t think you were looking for a balanced input/output (based on your other listed choices), but perhaps the Woo is more than you were thinking of spending?

Otherwise, as you are not concerned about OTL vs OTC (ie being limited to certain types of cans), the WA2 would be a fab choice (and yes, I’m biased).

The WA2 can also be more linear and far with the right tubes, so it certainly isn’t a one-trick pony either.

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #2,888 of 3,215

1709478102788.jpeg

1709478125741.jpeg

1709478172061.jpeg
That is a beautiful grain pattern.

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #2,889 of 3,215
Is there anybody here familiar with the LCD-5? If so, how would you compare it with the AC? I know they are different kinds of gear, but I’d be very grateful if someone could talk about their respective experiences with them.

I’m asking because I’m thinking of owning just a closed back and an IEM (I have a Noble audio KK) and I’d rather not have any sound leaking at the bedroom.

How much detail would I be giving up? What about the subbass and drum sounds? I suppose the soundstage is bigger, right?

I’ll be driving it with Ferrum Oor and/or the Cayin N8ii.

Thanks a ton.

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #2,890 of 3,215
Is there anybody here familiar with the LCD-5? If so, how would you compare it with the AC? I know they are different kinds of gear, but I’d be very grateful if someone could talk about their respective experiences with them.

I’m asking because I’m thinking of owning just a closed back and an IEM (I have a Noble audio KK) and I’d rather not have any sound leaking at the bedroom.

How much detail would I be giving up? What about the subbass and drum sounds? I suppose the soundstage is bigger, right?

Thanks a ton.
I am not familiar with the LCD-5 per se, but I can tell you it’s an open-back headphone and therefore doesn’t seem to fit your criteria at all. 😊

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #2,891 of 3,215
I am not familiar with the LCD-5 per se, but I can tell you it’s an open-back headphone and therefore doesn’t seem to fit your criteria at all. 😊
Sorry, I neglected to mention that I already own one. So my question actually is: how would be my experience replacing the LCD-5 with the Atrium Closed.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #2,893 of 3,215
@Rollnrock if you wanted to go more “all in” for the OTL smoother/richer sound, I certainly would recommend the Woo WA2. I don’t think you were looking for a balanced input/output (based on your other listed choices), but perhaps the Woo is more than you were thinking of spending?

Otherwise, as you are not concerned about OTL vs OTC (ie being limited to certain types of cans), the WA2 would be a fab choice (and yes, I’m biased).

The WA2 can also be more linear and far with the right tubes, so it certainly isn’t a one-trick pony either.
Yes, it seems that Woo amplifiers are very well built and users are very happy. And specifically the WA2 seems to be a very good option for an OTL

Wa2 is about 2,5k (new) in the EU so a bit in the upper range of my budget, but I will include it in my short list

Many thanks!

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #2,895 of 3,215

Thanks a ton.

LCD5 has significantly different sound signature compared to Atrium Closed. LCD5 is much more mid-centric with intimate character. Decay is shorter, faster with LCD5, but attack of notes also softer compared to Atrium Closed. LCD5 provide more detail and information overall, but in so different way than AC that I can udnerstand if some people will easily prefer AC than LCD5.

If you need a close back headphone that more similar to LCD5's sound character, look at Dan Clark E3 (I like E3 more than LCD5 btw).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back