ZMF Atrium Closed
Feb 19, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #2,852 of 3,270
Contrary to my previous findings, I now believe that AC does scale with hi end DACs.
My test was 2 days of listening, total of 6 hrs per day of music listening/youtube videos/gaming
Foobar (hi-res files) or itunes

1) entry level dac (ifi zen dac) : PC - DAC - violectric v222 - AC
2) Cayin N8 - v222 - AC
Before ending the 2nd day session, I switched to Lampizator big7, and the sound stage is wider, can hear the depth (distance from me) of each instrument position.
Violins/strings and piano - accurate timbre
Tracks with vocals - vocalist is standing right in front of me.
On some quieter tracks, yes the hifiman he1000 stealth sounded slighly better, but when the track has bass, AC sounded fuller while not sacrificing any frequecies.
I am very impressed by the Atrium closed headphones.
I’m coming from the he1000se, waiting on my AC. So this is exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #2,853 of 3,270
I’m coming from the he1000se, waiting on my AC. So this is exactly what I was hoping to hear!
I think you're gonna love 'em. Was listening to the ACs yesterday and they sound like you're listening in your own private acoustically tuned hall. They remind me of seeing a jazz or classical concert (while listening to those genres) in small venues that's damped in places but mainly is wood on the walls, so it sounds very alive. A unique experience unlike any headphone I've heard, except maybe the VC. AC takes this to a whole new, awesome level though in my opinion.

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #2,854 of 3,270
Listening to ZMF headphones all day today ❤️

1708384643941.png

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #2,855 of 3,270
Feb 19, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #2,856 of 3,270
Feb 19, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #2,857 of 3,270
I think you're gonna love 'em. Was listening to the ACs yesterday and they sound like you're listening in your own private acoustically tuned hall. They remind me of seeing a jazz or classical concert (while listening to those genres) in small venues that's damped in places but mainly is wood on the walls, so it sounds very alive. A unique experience unlike any headphone I've heard, except maybe the VC. AC takes this to a whole new, awesome level though in my opinion.

The soundstage for a closed back is astonishing. It’s as you say: you are very much “in the room” with the music.

Of course, tubes accentuate this effect dramatically!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #2,858 of 3,270
Listening to ZMF headphones all day today ❤️

1708384643941.png
I've been chasing that Black and White Ebony Dragon haha, trying to find more that's usable, it's always tough. I'll keep working on it!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 19, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #2,859 of 3,270
I've been chasing that Black and White Ebony Dragon haha, trying to find more that's usable, it's always tough. I'll keep working on it!

I think, from all these gorgeous creations, the black and white is my favorite wood. I remember seeing it for the first time (was it CanJam NYC a year ago? time flies.. can u believe it?). That wood is just just so special. If you get more I'm buying (no idea what, but I am 😉). Good luck hunting!

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #2,860 of 3,270
I have always been deeply skeptical about burn-in, but these headphones have since turned me into a believer!

I was honestly a little underwhelmed listening to the AC on the day I received my pair. To me, it sort of sounded like the AO but it was missing the magic that the AO brings to the table. I decided to let the headphones play at home while at work the past few days after reading that the bio-cellulose drivers need time.

Holy guacamole, it is almost like listening to a different headphone. It's unbelievable. I am only at roughly 40 hours, but I am excited hear how this pair sounds after being fully burned in.

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #2,861 of 3,270
I have always been deeply skeptical about burn-in, but these headphones have since turned me into a believer!

I was honestly a little underwhelmed listening to the AC on the day I received my pair. To me, it sort of sounded like the AO but it was missing the magic that the AO brings to the table. I decided to let the headphones play at home while at work the past few days after reading that the bio-cellulose drivers need time.

Holy guacamole, it is almost like listening to a different headphone. It's unbelievable. I am only at roughly 40 hours, but I am excited hear how this pair sounds after being fully burned in.
Heartily agree. I changed pads a lot during the first 100 hours, but in hindsight I should have waited for the driver to fully settle in before adding the variable of pad changes to the mix.

I’m fully on team Caldera Suede these days. In my chain (Yggy A2>MJ3), I’ve concluded the stock Lambskin Caldera Thin pads have too much bass quantity for me. I can definitely see someone preferring it the other way around though.

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #2,862 of 3,270

Absolutely true of all the dynamics (less so for the Caldera and presumably any future planar) they make! I've had 2 of more than one model on hand before where one is new and the other a couple years old and fully burned in. The differences have always been striking initially, becoming more similar over time and eventually just being differences in wood type and pad wear. I've even known someone who bought and sold a VC without burn in, effectively never even hearing what it really sounds like.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #2,863 of 3,270
I've even known someone who bought and sold a VC without burn in, effectively never even hearing what it really sounds like.
I always scratch my head seeing ZMF listings on classifieds that claim only a couple hours listened - I just think 'man, you're gonna lose at least a few hundred bucks and have barely given them a chance...' 🤷‍♂️

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #2,864 of 3,270
I always scratch my head seeing ZMF listings on classifieds that claim only a couple hours listened - I just think 'man, you're gonna lose at least a few hundred bucks and have barely given them a chance...' 🤷‍♂️
I’ll add to that by noting the importance of a good fit/seal and the right amping (and even tube choice, in some amps).

I love my AC with a passion, but I gained much more respect for my VC after I replaced the steel portion of the headband and got the clamping force needed/proper seal.

With the Telefunken driver (input? 🤔) tubes I use in my Woo OTL amp, the VC slaps and slams! (It sounds great with other driver tubes too, but the G-73Rs add a lot to the bass depth and impact.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #2,865 of 3,270
I love my AC with a passion, but I gained much more respect for my VC after I replaced the steel portion of the headband and got the clamping force needed/proper seal.
I had the exact same experience with my Blackwood VC as well.

I have a suspicion that a good chunk of members who called the VO/VC anemic simply failed to achieve a proper seal.
Don’t get me wrong, the fast decay in the bass is real, but the VC is so picky about the seal.

The AC doesn’t seem to be quite as picky in this regard. The fluted nature of the Caldera pads is likely easier to seal across different skulls, plus they’re also perforated. I think the AC may be the most comfy ZMF I’ve ever worn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back