ZMF Atrium Closed
Jan 19, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #2,731 of 3,270
@zach915m Any chance you might start selling Caldera Suede Thick pads? I’m curious how they might sound on my Atrium Closed. My big ears could also use a little more space than the regular Caldera Suedes provide.

I tried the solid Auteur Suedes, and they were very comfortable. Unfortunately, I didn’t like the sound as much as the Caldera and Bokeh pads I’ve tried.

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #2,732 of 3,270
@zach915m Any chance you might start selling Caldera Suede Thick pads? I’m curious how they might sound on my Atrium Closed. My big ears could also use a little more space than the regular Caldera Suedes provide.

I tried the solid Auteur Suedes, and they were very comfortable. Unfortunately, I didn’t like the sound as much as the Caldera and Bokeh pads I’ve tried.
Ha well I am curious too - but pad "fatigue," meaning too many choices is a thing so I don't want to murder everyone with pad options.

That being said, if you have some paracord lying around it'll push the pads out if you put it under the foam and over the back mesh to push the pads out. Or if anyone else here wants to try it let me know what you think, might help be decide on the viability of the thick suede pads.

That being said, I am all aboard the Caldera pad train for future headphone releases and iterations of pads, I just think they feel, and work really well and help avoid air gaps that hurt the sound. I am working on more iterations, I just don't want to go too crazy and make everyone feel nuts.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jan 19, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #2,733 of 3,270
That being said, I am all aboard the Caldera pad train for future headphone releases and iterations of pads, I just think they feel, and work really well and help avoid air gaps that hurt the sound. I am working on more iterations, I just don't want to go too crazy and make everyone feel nuts.
Sounds like another one for the custom shop. Imagine the drop down menus for custom pads by shape, materials, perf level, and foam density. There would be literally hundreds of permutations.

(Some of the pads do have different types of foams inside, or is that just my imagination?)

Jan 21, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #2,734 of 3,270
Ha well I am curious too - but pad "fatigue," meaning too many choices is a thing so I don't want to murder everyone with pad options.

That being said, if you have some paracord lying around it'll push the pads out if you put it under the foam and over the back mesh to push the pads out. Or if anyone else here wants to try it let me know what you think, might help be decide on the viability of the thick suede pads.

Just placed an order for some 4mm paracord to try out with the Caldera Suede pads on my AC. I’ll report back on how the experiment goes.

As an aside, I am really happy with the sound of the Caldera Suede pads. They are so balanced with enough bass to satisfy my goal of having a contrast to my less-bassy Elite. For certain genres, the extra bass of the stock Lambskin Caldera Thins is welcome, but the Suedes are the perfect compromise that sound great with everything.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #2,735 of 3,270
After much pad rolling I find myself split on the pads I'm using dependent on the wood. For my redwood burl set (low janka) I keep going back to the stock Caldera thin lamb pads. On my burnt ash (medium janka) it's the Auteur solid suede pads. I normally don't notice too much of a difference with the woods on the other sets but on the AC I do. The softer burl sounds best to me with the lamb pads' faster transients and overall speedier delivery. But the burnt ash with those pads are almost too fast for my preferences. I like the smoother, slightly slower suede more. I crossed the pads up a few times to make sure it was the wood and not my brain hearing differences, but they were consistently there. I have two different wood Atticus' and can't hear much difference there. Same when I had two different Auteurs. But the AC seems to bring out the wood's resonant characteristics more, making wood choice a bit more important. I do admit the difference between the burl and burnt ash isn't huge, but it is there. Once i started noticing it, i couldn't unhear it.

I can't leave without reemphasizing how dam fun these headphones are for metal. The bass thunders, the guitars have good weight and crunch when detuned, and vocals are present enough to be emotional without being harsh and overbearing. Between the AC and Bokeh my love affair with metal has never been hotter. Go on, bang your head!

1705955961190.png

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #2,736 of 3,270
i have to admit, i rather like the Auteur Suede Solids as well and i also have the Burnt Ash.

I do also like the Caldera Suede’s when l’m using the Elrog 274b rectifier in the Aegis as it adds more weight, impact to the bass and so makes up for the drop in bass from the stock pads while maintaining a bigger stage.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #2,737 of 3,270
i have to admit, i rather like the Auteur Suede Solids as well and i also have the Burnt Ash.

I do also like the Caldera Suede’s when l’m using the Elrog 274b rectifier in the Aegis as it adds more weight, impact to the bass and so makes up for the drop in bass from the stock pads while maintaining a bigger stage.
On my Stratus only I do like the Caldera suede pads. That amp is rolling some bassy tubes and really flesh out the low end of the AC. The Caldera lamb and Auteur solid suede is insanely bassy on it, a bit too much at times for me. I'm trying the Caldera suede on my WA3 as we speak on my redwood burl and though it's quite good, I keep wanting that extra low end punch of the lamb pads. It's not that the suede lack bass, they still are quite bassy. But the lamb bass is just so good it's hard to give up. I need to give the BE2 solid lamb some more time, i found them pretty decent on the burnt ash AC, but I didn't spend as much time on the burl as I would have liked.

For those with an Atrium model and other ZMFs, do you pad roll on the Atrium as much, more, or less than the other models. For me it's way more, especially the AC. On the Atrium open I've slowed down a lot since getting the Caldera UP. Those are my sweet spot I think. Still not 100% sure on the AC, though I'm very close. I feel like maybe some amp tweaking and not pad rolling from here on out is in order.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #2,738 of 3,270
After much pad rolling I find myself split on the pads I'm using dependent on the wood. For my redwood burl set (low janka) I keep going back to the stock Caldera thin lamb pads. On my burnt ash (medium janka) it's the Auteur solid suede pads. I normally don't notice too much of a difference with the woods on the other sets but on the AC I do. The softer burl sounds best to me with the lamb pads' faster transients and overall speedier delivery. But the burnt ash with those pads are almost too fast for my preferences. I like the smoother, slightly slower suede more. I crossed the pads up a few times to make sure it was the wood and not my brain hearing differences, but they were consistently there. I have two different wood Atticus' and can't hear much difference there. Same when I had two different Auteurs. But the AC seems to bring out the wood's resonant characteristics more, making wood choice a bit more important. I do admit the difference between the burl and burnt ash isn't huge, but it is there. Once i started noticing it, i couldn't unhear it.

I can't leave without reemphasizing how dam fun these headphones are for metal. The bass thunders, the guitars have good weight and crunch when detuned, and vocals are present enough to be emotional without being harsh and overbearing. Between the AC and Bokeh my love affair with metal has never been hotter. Go on, bang your head!

1705955961190.png

How good they are with metal surprised me. Nothing like putting on Power Trip and rocking out. The guitars just sound sooooo good and crunchy. I can't stop listening to the live record.
It can't be understanded how good this pair of headphones is. After Powertrip I can listen to something like Faye Webster and it sounds just as incredible.

I need to go to CanJam NYC or a meet up in the philly area. I have the olive wood AC but would like to hear some other woods as well.

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #2,739 of 3,270
How good they are with metal surprised me. Nothing like putting on Power Trip and rocking out. The guitars just sound sooooo good and crunchy. I can't stop listening to the live record.
It can't be understanded how good this pair of headphones is. After Powertrip I can listen to something like Faye Webster and it sounds just as incredible.

I need to go to CanJam NYC or a meet up in the philly area. I have the olive wood AC but would like to hear some other woods as well.
Definitely worth a listen on the other woods, it's surprising to me how much they change compared to my other ZMFs of differing woods.

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #2,740 of 3,270
Definitely worth a listen on the other woods, it's surprising to me how much they change compared to my other ZMFs of differing woods.
On this note, I just got my stabilized/resin AC today and have been switching back and forth between it and my walnut AC. There most definitely is a difference, but it's opposite of what I thought - walnut has got more treble and the stabilized sounds like it's got more bass. They're overall extremely similar, but it's noticeable as soon as you switch!

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #2,741 of 3,270
@Toonartist and @erics75 have convinced me to give the Auteur Suede solid pads another go with my Ash AC since they seem to like them so much with their Ash sets. I never gave them another shot after the headphones were fully burned-in, so I’ll rectify that this week.

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #2,742 of 3,270
@Toonartist and @erics75 have convinced me to give the Auteur Suede solid pads another go with my Ash AC since they seem to like them so much with their Ash sets. I never gave them another shot after the headphones were fully burned-in, so I’ll rectify that this week.
It's a worthy option... really comfy. I switch between them and the Caldera Suedes (using at the moment). Certainly nice to have especially when you want that bit extra isolation!

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #2,743 of 3,270

I'd probably purchase suede and hybrid variants on the Caldera thick pads as the ear hole depth and size fit my giant ears well.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:00 AM Post #2,744 of 3,270
On this note, I just got my stabilized/resin AC today and have been switching back and forth between it and my walnut AC. There most definitely is a difference, but it's opposite of what I thought - walnut has got more treble and the stabilized sounds like it's got more bass. They're overall extremely similar, but it's noticeable as soon as you switch!
This will likely change quite a bit as the stabilized set’s drivers break-in.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #2,745 of 3,270
I wanted to give a quick update on adding 4mm paracord to my Caldera Suede pads to get some more depth for my ears. The extra space was noticeable and definitely improved comfort a bit. Unfortunately I found the sound changed in a negative way. The bass seemed to lose its definition and detail. It sounded like a cheap subwoofer to be honest.

@zach915m I can’t say definitively whether or not a thick Caldera Suede pad would be a good option for the Atrium Closed, but my guess is that thinner pads are better for this particular headphone. I took the paracord out after only a few songs, so I know the sound wasn’t for me. I do appreciate the suggestion though! It reiterates how small differences in pads can make large differences in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back