ZMF Atrium Closed
Jan 3, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #2,671 of 3,273
I'll try all these pads soon on my AC, but it's my understanding that the Auteur Sueded Solid pads sound more "closed in" like a typical closed-back headphone. The upside is better isolation and added comfort from the thicker Auteur pads.
I'd say basically the same thing. I didn't like the Auteur suedes at all at first but they improved over time, still with that more narrow stage which sort of defeated the purpose of one of the best AC features. The Bokeh suedes are the thin variant of the Caldera so less cushy than the regular Caldera suede. They made the AC what I'd hoped it would be after months of feeling it wasn't quite there with regular Caldera suedes. I do like the Auteur suedes on the VC though and are my main pad on those.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #2,672 of 3,273
For me the Bokeh suede are a significant improvement over the regular Caldera suede. Too much bass is lost going back to the Caldera suede and I can't see using them on the AC again.
I need to revisit the Bokeh vs Caldera suede pads, you're the 2nd person today saying that. I didn't spend enough time with them as my initial impression was they're too similar to bother. But I obviously missed something big.

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #2,673 of 3,273
These cups are even more beautiful when you look at them closely and take note of the textures of the grain. As we all know, it’s very hard to photograph ZMFs in a way that captures how amazing they look in-person. Here are my best attempts with macro mode on my phone.
IMG_6992.jpeg
IMG_6990.jpeg

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #2,674 of 3,273
For those of you DAP people that it may concern.... Recently bought a SP3000 thinking it'd be a great source, DAC and potentially all-in-one option for my system, only to find that I just didn't like its sound. Exchanged for a Cayin N8ii and could not be more stoked on the synergy with the Atrium Closed and Caldera. Was mainly wanting it for the same reasons listed above, but I've found I enjoy it as an "all-in-one" just as much, especially in Tube mode and with these headphones. Highly recommend if you're a fellow ZMF-er and are looking for a DAP! Plus, little things, like the volume fade up it does instead of the hard, digital sounding start-up that other devices have, as well as the white/yellow aesthetic that pops up when you change the volume make this thing very user-friendly and inspiring to look at!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #2,675 of 3,273
Playing around with pads today and I also just received my longer Kimber Kable to finally hook up the HA-3A with my new desk configuration. Wow do the AC really change with different source gear. I was previously listening with just my KANN Max and my CMA Fifteen. With both of those the Suedes are mind blowing and I wouldn't switch them. But on the Cayin the Caldera Suedes are too bright so I swapped to Auteur Solid Hybrids. The Auteur Hybrids are phenomenal with this pairing.

IMG_0580.jpg

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #2,676 of 3,273
I haven’t switched from the stock Caldera Lambskin Thin pads so far. I’m trying my best to maintain some self control and stick with the stock pads during the first week or two while the headphones burn in.

I am very tempted to start pad rolling though! I have a bunch of Suede variants to test out. On all my ZMFs, I like to get a good baseline with Zach’s recommended stock pads before experimenting to see if there might be an alternative pad type that more perfectly matches up with my preferences.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #2,677 of 3,273
I just got these headphones a few days ago. I found the lambskin Caldera pads too bass heavy, eg with faster metal. I changed to the suede and it sounds very good now. I’ll start exploring this thread and read up on pad recommendations.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #2,678 of 3,273
I just got these headphones a few days ago. I found the lambskin Caldera pads too bass heavy, eg with faster metal. I changed to the suede and it sounds very good now. I’ll start exploring this thread and read up on pad recommendations.
I've currently got the Caldera Lambskin stock, Caldera Suede & Auteur Solid Hybrid for my AC's.

I could also try the Caldera Lambskin Thick, Universal Lambskin Perf, Universe Suede Perf or Aeolus Lambskin Perf but I don't think any of them would be a good match.

From reading the rest of the thread the Bokeh Stock pads are supposed to be a good fit as well.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #2,679 of 3,273
Playing around with pads today and I also just received my longer Kimber Kable to finally hook up the HA-3A with my new desk configuration. Wow do the AC really change with different source gear. I was previously listening with just my KANN Max and my CMA Fifteen. With both of those the Suedes are mind blowing and I wouldn't switch them. But on the Cayin the Caldera Suedes are too bright so I swapped to Auteur Solid Hybrids. The Auteur Hybrids are phenomenal with this pairing.

These cups are even more beautiful when you look at them closely and take note of the textures of the grain. As we all know, it’s very hard to photograph ZMFs in a way that captures how amazing they look in-person. Here are my best attempts with macro mode on my phone.
Really Gorgeous!

Enjoy the AC. If you have it try the auteur solid Hybrids!

Yeah the auteur solid hybrids are good for reducing the ACs brightness. Also sound great overall.

Still haven't recieved my redwood burl ACs yet. @AudioDuck Enjoy my Olivewood ACs for me while I wait. I will live through you.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #2,680 of 3,273
I'm not finding the AC bright at all, so I don't think I'll need the Auteur Hybrids. I did pick up the Auteur Suedes to try alongside the Caldera and Bokeh Suedes.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #2,681 of 3,273
I believe it’s less overall brightness, but more the elevated treble which is audible for some ears.

My brother can’t handle my AO with stock mesh at all, since the treble is too piercing. He is in his late twenties, 8 years younger. I can't hear any tremble peaks at all.

I totally see why Zach offers all the mesh and pads options.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #2,682 of 3,273
I do believe age/anatomy/hearing loss play a huge part in it. I'm older with abused ears. My high frequency hearing taps out in the 11-12k range. I have tinnitus and my left ear is noticeably less sensitive than my right. So for the AC and AO I actually tuned mine to increase the upper regions. My AO has no mesh with Caldera UP or BE2 lamb pads. My AC I like the BE2 solid lamb or Auteur Suede pads. Both are brighter than the stock Caldera lamb pads to me.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #2,683 of 3,273
AC has a few peaks there that can bother some people. Around 5-6kh and 8khz iirc.

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #2,684 of 3,273
I'm not finding the AC bright at all, so I don't think I'll need the Auteur Hybrids. I did pick up the Auteur Suedes to try alongside the Caldera and Bokeh Suedes.
The only thing I noted about the treble was that it becomes incredibly smooth after they've been run in. Pad rolling for me is about tweakin isolation and bass intensity.

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #2,685 of 3,273

IMG_0580.jpg
I enjoy these with my Kann Max also but I’ve never tried the suedes. Time to pull those out of the drawer I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back