ZMF Atrium Closed
Feb 3, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #2,791 of 3,270
Just looking for a little advice, I am yet to hear a ZMF headphone but I look to be purchasing Atrium Closed over this weekend. My use for this is as a daily headphone, partnered with a Feliks Euforia EVO tube amp. I listen mainly to bass-driven music like hip-hop, electronic and so on, so bass and treble are important to me. Hopefully it is a good partner for my EVO.

Couple or questions regarding the order I am building:
- Is the magnesium worth the extra £250 over the aluminium? Its quite a chunk of cash, so I am thinking probably not.
- I expect to be using this via XLR, should I therefore choose the option of OFC on the XLR cable, or the 6.35?
- For bass/treble, are the standard pads suitable, or is there a preferred alternate I could look to purchase?
- Aged cherry or non-aged, help me decide, its driving me nuts :)

Cherry Wood Atrium is lightweight already, if you want Magnesium to reduce the weight then I think not really worth it.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #2,792 of 3,270
My thoughts on this are that you likely already know what your head/neck can tolerate. And if that's under or very close to 500g (my case), then if the magnesium chassis weight reduction gets you there -- go for it. If it's already light enough for you with the aluminum, then you saved 250$.

This is not about fitting comfort. It's about weight. I often hear that headphone x is 600 grams but it has a great fit / comfort. Fine. But the weight is the weight. After hours and hours it will still feel like a brick if it's too much for you. So if you know that 500 grams is your limit, don't be swayed by disingenuous or uninformed arguments that headphone y is 600 grams but is super comfortable, anyone can wear it all day. Yes, it's comfortable for the first hour or two, after that your body will still tell you that you're carrying 600 grams on your head.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #2,793 of 3,270
I am in the UK unfortunately, and although I would usually buy a used headphone from here I find the asking prices are quite high compared to what I can pay from a store here (£2199).

I was torn between the Caldera and Atrium Closed, but given I have the EVO research suggests to me that the Atrium Closed may be better suited to it than the Caldera. I guess if the retailer I bought the EVO from would take it back in exchange for a Violectic V550, than it does open up the option for the Caldera for me.
I went to audition the ZMFs today, and the Caldera is just amazing and it paired well with my violectric v222. I will definitely get the Caldera in the near future.
As to the Atrium closed, the bass is so satisfying and exactly what I'm looking for. On some tracks, the hi-hats are a bit further back and bass guitar are brought forward but still everything in the track are still there. Nothing is muffled, really impressive tuning by ZMF. It's my first experience with ZMF headphones and I'm super impressed.

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #2,794 of 3,270
One note tho, I do not believe the AC is a great all rounder if you are going to have only one HP, For vocals, jazz, classical, the AO and Caldera are much better. The AC is very warm (furry to my ears) in the mids.

I an loving the AC but plan on keeping my Auteur for classical. I am contemplating doing the upgrade to Auteur Classic.

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #2,795 of 3,270
Just looking for a little advice, I am yet to hear a ZMF headphone but I look to be purchasing Atrium Closed over this weekend. My use for this is as a daily headphone, partnered with a Feliks Euforia EVO tube amp. I listen mainly to bass-driven music like hip-hop, electronic and so on, so bass and treble are important to me. Hopefully it is a good partner for my EVO.

Couple or questions regarding the order I am building:
- Is the magnesium worth the extra £250 over the aluminium? Its quite a chunk of cash, so I am thinking probably not.
- I expect to be using this via XLR, should I therefore choose the option of OFC on the XLR cable, or the 6.35?
- For bass/treble, are the standard pads suitable, or is there a preferred alternate I could look to purchase?
- Aged cherry or non-aged, help me decide, its driving me nuts :)
Have you considered the Bokeh? If you mostly listen to electronic and hip hop I think the Bokeh's stock tuning might be more fun. I have the AC and Bokeh, and the Bokeh is the bassier and also brighter headphone. The AC has a bit more ultra low subbass, but the difference might not be noticeable with most music. Just my opinion though. I tend to grab the AC when i'm listening to more audiophile grade recordings like jazz, blues, and folk. When a recording is of really high quality the AC is more enjoyable to me. But for most other genres I find the Bokeh more exciting and engaging. They're both amazing headphones, you can't go wrong. Just don't sell the Bokeh short given it's cheaper price. IMO it's the best place to start for anyone new to ZMF. Between pad and mesh rolling you can tweak the sound to just about anything you want other than boring. :) And the fact that it's the most affordable ZMF doesn't hurt either. Again, the AC is amazing as well, if you have your heart set on it, you won't be disappointed. Just giving an alternative to look at. You can spend the difference on tubes/cables/ear pads.

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #2,796 of 3,270
Have you considered the Bokeh? If you mostly listen to electronic and hip hop I think the Bokeh's stock tuning might be more fun. I have the AC and Bokeh, and the Bokeh is the bassier and also brighter headphone. The AC has a bit more ultra low subbass, but the difference might not be noticeable with most music. Just my opinion though. I tend to grab the AC when i'm listening to more audiophile grade recordings like jazz, blues, and folk. When a recording is of really high quality the AC is more enjoyable to me. But for most other genres I find the Bokeh more exciting and engaging. They're both amazing headphones, you can't go wrong. Just don't sell the Bokeh short given it's cheaper price. IMO it's the best place to start for anyone new to ZMF. Between pad and mesh rolling you can tweak the sound to just about anything you want other than boring. :) And the fact that it's the most affordable ZMF doesn't hurt either. Again, the AC is amazing as well, if you have your heart set on it, you won't be disappointed. Just giving an alternative to look at. You can spend the difference on tubes/cables/ear pads.
I'm just gonna bookmark this post for when my upgradeitis starts flaring up again.

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #2,797 of 3,270
I went to audition the ZMFs today, and the Caldera is just amazing and it paired well with my violectric v222. I will definitely get the Caldera in the near future.
As to the Atrium closed, the bass is so satisfying and exactly what I'm looking for. On some tracks, the hi-hats are a bit further back and bass guitar are brought forward but still everything in the track are still there. Nothing is muffled, really impressive tuning by ZMF. It's my first experience with ZMF headphones and I'm super impressed.
Hey I think we were chatting on discord the other day. Glad you enjoyed the ZMF audition so much and were able to check out the Caldera as well!

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #2,799 of 3,270
I a loving the AC but plan on keeping my Auteur for classical. I am contemplating doing the upgrade to Auteur Classic.
It’s a worthwhile upgrade, especially for classical. Extra soundstage and clarity gives classical orchestra a chance to really shine.

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #2,801 of 3,270
I found a local dealer that had one Atrium closed with the purple ash LTD. However I got unlucky as there was some issue with the right side driver and had to return it back the next day. The dealer said no ETA on the replacement….
I’m really disappointed as I didn’t expect this on a product at this price range. Hope the dealer and zmf can sort this for me asap as I am really impressed with their sounds

Attachments

• 98413D92-D484-4C20-A15B-29BF6B71AD79.jpeg
    98413D92-D484-4C20-A15B-29BF6B71AD79.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 7, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #2,802 of 3,270
I found a local dealer that had one Atrium closed with the purple ash LTD. However I got unlucky as there was some issue with the right side driver and had to return it back the next day. The dealer said no ETA on the replacement….
I’m really disappointed as I didn’t expect this on a product at this price range. Hope the dealer and zmf can sort this for me asap as I am really impressed with their sounds
There are no ZMF dealers. These are used. You can only purchase directly from ZMF or take your chances in the used market. Is better to buy here used rather than elsewhere

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #2,803 of 3,270

Users who are viewing this thread

Back