ZMF Atrium Closed
Oct 2, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #1,966 of 3,265
And coming back on this, I have the following from June from Zach.

Capture.JPG

But it seems that the leather thin is now the default? So the thinking has changed, back in June they were not recommended? Which is OK, just want to keep up. :)
Oh sorry - I think maybe the way I addressed that was confusing.

The stock pads have always been caldera lamb thin, and suede always as the secondary pad.

I wouldn't recommend other versions of the Caldera pad past those for recommended tunings.

I am working on se brassier all suede pads as I realize there are some owners with suede who want a more classic stock pad like presentation with the sonic characteristics of a suede material.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 2, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #1,967 of 3,265
I was listening to Electric Wizard’s “Dopethrone” off my ACs earlier. It’s a great match for the colored ACs (and I don’t mean that in a bad way). It matches with the extremely heavy, hazy, stoner sound really well. Sh!t might be the heaviest metal album ever.

vRsxhoJ.png

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #1,968 of 3,265
AC are simply fantastic for stoner rock and doom metal. Just as the Fever Ray mention, they are absolutely great with spacious bass heavy electronic stuff.

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #1,969 of 3,265
Heard the Atrium Closed for the first time at the DC area meetup this past weekend, and I liked it quite a bit. I tried both the soft and hard wood versions, and the hard wood seems to have more snap to the sound compared to the warmer and softer attack produced on the soft wood version. I liked both versions better than the Eikon in an A/B comparison, and also more than the Verite Closed and Caldera from memory. The AC has this openness and airiness to the sound which the other ZMFs that I've heard have lacked, and openness is a very important quality to me. Thus far, the AC is my favorite ZMF model, and I'm interested in giving it another demo. Oh yeah, I used the DNA Stellaris amp (correction: it's the Sonnet 2) for the demo, but I couldn't see what the DAC was (update: it's the Gustard R26).

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,970 of 3,265
Heard the Atrium Closed for the first time at the DC area meetup this past weekend, and I liked it quite a bit. I tried both the soft and hard wood versions, and the hard wood seems to have more snap to the sound compared to the warmer and softer attack produced on the soft wood version. I liked both versions better than the Eikon in an A/B comparison, and also more than the Verite Closed and Caldera from memory. The AC has this openness and airiness to the sound which the other ZMFs that I've heard have lacked, and openness is a very important quality to me. Thus far, the AC is my favorite ZMF model, and I'm interested in giving it another demo. Oh yeah, I used the DNA Stellaris amp for the demo, but I couldn't see what the DAC was.
The amp is DNA Sonett 2 not Stellaris and the DAC is Gustard R26.

PXL_20230930_170307034 (2).jpg

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #1,971 of 3,265
nvm

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #1,974 of 3,265
With upcoming zmf november and the dark urge to feed the ZMF addiction: How different AO is to AC? I recall many things about AO magic tuning and giant stage but struggle to find A/B comparisions with AC.

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #1,975 of 3,265
With upcoming zmf november and the dark urge to feed the ZMF addiction: How different AO is to AC? I recall many things about AO magic tuning and giant stage but struggle to find A/B comparisions with AC.
I have both, they're related sonically but also different. The AO is more balanced with a more traditional mid forward ZMF tuning. The AC has more of a U shaped signature with more emphatic bass (especially subbass). I'd say the treble is actually pretty similar between the two, but the AC's mids are not as forward, giving the initial impression the mids are recessed. They're not, but they're not as forward as the AO. They both have that wonderful natrual biocellulose timbre, which for me is the highlight of the Atrium line. For their similarities though I do think they're different enough to own both. The AC is a bit more aggressive and engaging dynamically. That subbass is pretty epic sounding, with good strong punch and slam, and the perfect amount of decay to sound full and weighty. Today I brought my Audeze LCD2 Closed to work since they get no time anymore. In comparison, they're so much thinner sounding than the AC. The decay is just too fast, and all the weight is lost when those bass notes hit but dissipate almost immediately. Both Atriums have natural decay.

Staging is amazing on the AC, but it is smaller than the AO. That's unavoidable though given the closed cup. How you'll react to that is impossible for me to say. I don't feel like the AC sound closed at all, but I put very little importance on soundstage. All headphones, even open, sound closed off to me as a lifelong speaker listener. The biggest difference between the AO and AC stage-wise is probably the overall dimensionality. The AO puts out a soundstage that feels more 3D, with better spatial placement of each element in the mix. The AC collapses the stage a bit. To me maybe 10-15% smaller, with less precise placement within that smaller stage. For example instruments in an orchestra stand out more and are easier to visualize with the AO than the AC. I don't find the difference significant at all, but others might.

Finally, refinement is higher on the AO IMO. The AC is a bit more aggressive and bombastic. It's more energetic and playful, for lack of a better word. It's more of a party animal to me. The AO parties hard too, but can't quite keep up with the AC, especially down low. The AO's counter though are those wonderful mids. If you're a singer/songwriter lover, the AO IMO is better as the mids are more forward, putting those vocals more forward. The AC's bass can sometimes dominate vocals, especially low male vocals.

I think the AO and AC play best to different genres. I LOVE the AC for metal and rock. That more aggressive and engaging nature pairs wonderfully with fast and exciting genres. But for Jazz, Blues, and vocalists, the AO is my drug of choice. Yeah it does metal/rock well too, but the AC just brings the energy and excitement a bit more.

Finally, sitting here listening to the LCD2 Closed makes me long for the AC. I am listening to the same band I found yesterday, and it's just not as fun or engaging. Here's the band/album if anyone's curious.

1696441370981.png

The LCD just sounds thin and irritating in comparison. I might be going home at lunch to grab the Atticus or AC! I think I need a giant gear purge, I really only listen to a few headphones these days and the LCD just isn't making the grade anymore. Anyone wanting to buy one, i'll be listing them. First owner, pristine condition. PM me.

Hope some of my nonsense helps.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #1,976 of 3,265
Went back to the lamb thins, the bass is just so visceral compared to the suede. I wish it was a magnetic system for the pads so swapping was easier. But its been such a joy regardless that who am I to complain!

Oct 8, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #1,977 of 3,265
Anyone tried the Mojo 2 with the Atrium Closed?

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #1,978 of 3,265
I have both, they're related sonically but also different. The AO is more balanced with a more traditional mid forward ZMF tuning. The AC has more of a U shaped signature with more emphatic bass (especially subbass). I'd say the treble is actually pretty similar between the two, but the AC's mids are not as forward, giving the initial impression the mids are recessed. They're not, but they're not as forward as the AO. They both have that wonderful natrual biocellulose timbre, which for me is the highlight of the Atrium line. For their similarities though I do think they're different enough to own both. The AC is a bit more aggressive and engaging dynamically. That subbass is pretty epic sounding, with good strong punch and slam, and the perfect amount of decay to sound full and weighty. Today I brought my Audeze LCD2 Closed to work since they get no time anymore. In comparison, they're so much thinner sounding than the AC. The decay is just too fast, and all the weight is lost when those bass notes hit but dissipate almost immediately. Both Atriums have natural decay.

Staging is amazing on the AC, but it is smaller than the AO. That's unavoidable though given the closed cup. How you'll react to that is impossible for me to say. I don't feel like the AC sound closed at all, but I put very little importance on soundstage. All headphones, even open, sound closed off to me as a lifelong speaker listener. The biggest difference between the AO and AC stage-wise is probably the overall dimensionality. The AO puts out a soundstage that feels more 3D, with better spatial placement of each element in the mix. The AC collapses the stage a bit. To me maybe 10-15% smaller, with less precise placement within that smaller stage. For example instruments in an orchestra stand out more and are easier to visualize with the AO than the AC. I don't find the difference significant at all, but others might.

Finally, refinement is higher on the AO IMO. The AC is a bit more aggressive and bombastic. It's more energetic and playful, for lack of a better word. It's more of a party animal to me. The AO parties hard too, but can't quite keep up with the AC, especially down low. The AO's counter though are those wonderful mids. If you're a singer/songwriter lover, the AO IMO is better as the mids are more forward, putting those vocals more forward. The AC's bass can sometimes dominate vocals, especially low male vocals.

I think the AO and AC play best to different genres. I LOVE the AC for metal and rock. That more aggressive and engaging nature pairs wonderfully with fast and exciting genres. But for Jazz, Blues, and vocalists, the AO is my drug of choice. Yeah it does metal/rock well too, but the AC just brings the energy and excitement a bit more.

Finally, sitting here listening to the LCD2 Closed makes me long for the AC. I am listening to the same band I found yesterday, and it's just not as fun or engaging. Here's the band/album if anyone's curious.

1696441370981.png

The LCD just sounds thin and irritating in comparison. I might be going home at lunch to grab the Atticus or AC! I think I need a giant gear purge, I really only listen to a few headphones these days and the LCD just isn't making the grade anymore. Anyone wanting to buy one, i'll be listing them. First owner, pristine condition. PM me.

Hope some of my nonsense helps.
As someone who owns both I agree with this. The AC adds some nice engagement to the AOs more laid back tuning. But I do still honestly prefer the AO over the AC. It has a more balanced tuning with more mids that I prefer. Still the AC is probably my favorite closed back that Zach has made to date. If one were to own one I would say the Atrium. I own every custom driver ZMF outside the Auteur classic (and obviously any unreleased stuff such as the new Bokeh). Both Atriums are probably my favorite out of all ZMF headphones.

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #1,979 of 3,265
I've been going back and forth between getting an AC or VC to complement my Atrium Open for a while now. I keep hearing awesome things about one, even more awesome things about the other etc. Just from impressions alone it gets *really* difficult to gauge what you really want. Best way would be to demo them with your own equipment, but not everyone will have that opportunity. I am leaning towards AC, but will it be "different" enough to warrant it, compared to say a Verité Closed? I like variety.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #1,980 of 3,265
I've been going back and forth between getting an AC or VC to complement my Atrium Open for a while now. I keep hearing awesome things about one, even more awesome things about the other etc. Just from impressions alone it gets *really* difficult to gauge what you really want. Best way would be to demo them with your own equipment, but not everyone will have that opportunity. I am leaning towards AC, but will it be "different" enough to warrant it, compared to say a Verité Closed? I like variety.
Verité Closed has a slight V shape to its signature. AC is more sub bass focused. VC has more of a mid bass punch. VC is the faster and livelier of the two in my experience.

AC while more aggressive than the AO is still on the more laid back side. Of course it varies on what pads you have on them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back