ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Mar 26, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #3,001 of 3,122
One day of initial impressions.

I like the AC better than the AO.

Going from memory, I had to get about 100 hours in on the AO before I had that George Takai (Oh My!) moment. Had that moment the moment I put the AC on my head.

Kinda hard to believe these are the same drivers. The AC sounds cleaner and more detailed to me, and of course has more bass. Even on soundstage I like the AC better.

The AOs are wider with more depth, but the ACs soundstage is more effortless. With the AO I have to be in a dark room with my eyes closed to hear the limits of the soundstage. With the AC I can be in a bright room with my eyes open and here that soundstage. In an A/B in a bright room with my eyes open I can't tell the difference between the two.

I ordered mine with the Bokeh Hybrid and Caldera Suede. The suede hits the sweet spot for me with a good balance of everything. The Bokeh Hybrid has an increase in mid-bass, but at the loss of soundstage width.

Rolled some other Caldera pads. Tried the Ultra Perfs, and they are my favorite pad with the AO. On the AC it's a no go as everything sounds thin and tinny.

Caldera Thick, everything sounds veiled and muddy, with everything pushed too far out, another no go.

Tried the Caldera stock last. Still a no go. Less tinny than the Ultra Perfs, and less muddy then the thicks, but still not good.

Will have to buy the Caldera Thins as that is a choice when you purchase the ACs.

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #3,002 of 3,122

Going from memory, I had to get about 100 hours in on the AO before I had that George Takai (Oh My!) moment. Had that moment the moment I put the AC on my head.

Kinda hard to believe these are the same drivers. The AC sounds cleaner and more detailed to me, and of course has more bass. Even on soundstage I like the AC better.

The AOs are wider with more depth, but the ACs soundstage is more effortless. With the AO I have to be in a dark room with my eyes closed to hear the limits of the soundstage. With the AC I can be in a bright room with my eyes open and here that soundstage. In an A/B in a bright room with my eyes open I can't tell the difference between the two.

I ordered mine with the Bokeh Hybrid and Caldera Suede. The suede hits the sweet spot for me with a good balance of everything. The Bokeh Hybrid has an increase in mid-bass, but at the loss of soundstage width.

Rolled some other Caldera pads. Tried the Ultra Perfs, and they are my favorite pad with the AO. On the AC it's a no go as everything sounds thin and tinny.

Caldera Thick, everything sounds veiled and muddy, with everything pushed too far out, another no go.

Tried the Caldera stock last. Still a no go. Less tinny than the Ultra Perfs, and less muddy then the thicks, but still not good.

Will have to buy the Caldera Thins as that is a choice when you purchase the ACs.
Lambskin Caldera Thins are actually the stock pads on the AC. Expect quite a bit more bass than the Caldera Suedes. I went back and forth but settled on the Caldera Suedes. They have the most balanced sound for all types of music as well as being the most comfortable for my big ears. Honorable mention is the Solid Auteur Suedes. They sound good, but shrink the soundstage a bit vs the Caldera and Bokeh pads. They offer the best isolation though, since they have no perforations.

Mar 26, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #3,003 of 3,122

If you listen to pop rock metal this is true. Jazz and Classical the AO is much better.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #3,004 of 3,122

I’ve not tried the other pads yet but the Caldera Thins (stock) are working great for me.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #3,005 of 3,122
Oh you poor soul, man hasn't even seen a Macassar Ebony ZMF set, yeah they're stunning, maybe my favorite looking. I believe goldwerger here was actually the first to ever own a ZMF in that wood, might've been the AO or VC I forgot.

Ebony is just the most wonderful wood. It takes my breath away.

On the left is the AO in Macassar Ebony, and on the right is the AC in Black and White Ebony:

1711498196261.png

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #3,006 of 3,122
If you listen to pop rock metal this is true. Jazz and Classical the AO is much better.
When it comes to Jazz or Classical I tend to lean to my Meze Elites with the Angled Alcantara pads.

I'll compare the two tonight with some Jazz at the Pawnshop, some Blues with Eric Gales, Selina Ott, Yuja Wang, and Maria Duenas.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #3,007 of 3,122
When it comes to Jazz or Classical I tend to lean to my Meze Elites with the Angled Alcantara pads.

I'll compare the two tonight with some Jazz at the Pawnshop, some Blues with Eric Gales, Selina Ott, Yuja Wang, and Maria Duenas.
I see you’re a fellow Elite/Atrium Closed owner like me and @Toonartist. It’s a great combination of headphones to have, as I’m sure you’d agree.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #3,008 of 3,122
Ebony is just the most wonderful wood. It takes my breath away.

On the left is the AO in Macassar Ebony, and on the right is the AC in Black and White Ebony:

1711498196261.png

The AO, especially with the patina on the grill, is very tasteful

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #3,009 of 3,122
I see you’re a fellow Elite/Atrium Closed owner like me and @Toonartist. It’s a great combination of headphones to have, as I’m sure you’d agree.

I don't own an Elite but an LCD-4z instead. They have different overall sonic characteristics but share some features, both being TOTL-sensitive planars.

From this perspective I can concur that this is a wonderful combination

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #3,010 of 3,122
I spent some time between the AO and the AC listening to Jazz and Classical. Various tracks from Jazz at the Pawnshop 1, 2, 3, Late Knight, Hiromi, Lang Lang, Yuja Wang.

For me one is not better than the other. I like them both equally for these genres for different reasons.

The AO is airier, and I feel like I am listening to a recording in a well-treated listening room, where I've used various acoustic panels and DSP, very cool.

The AC is not as airy, but I feel like I'm in the room where something was recorded more than the AO. Jazz at the Pawnshop, I can imagine myself in Stampen in a booth close to the musicians. Eric Gales Live at the Sunset Strip, I can imagine myself in the Viper Room with friends with a drink in my hand.

It would come down to mood for me not so much that one is better than the other for these specific genres and recordings.

With studio recorded albums for pop, rock, metal, country....etc, I prefer the AC.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #3,011 of 3,122
I spent some time between the AO and the AC listening to Jazz and Classical. Various tracks from Jazz at the Pawnshop 1, 2, 3, Late Knight, Hiromi, Lang Lang, Yuja Wang.

For me one is not better than the other. I like them both equally for these genres for different reasons.

The AO is airier, and I feel like I am listening to a recording in a well-treated listening room, where I've used various acoustic panels and DSP, very cool.

The AC is not as airy, but I feel like I'm in the room where something was recorded more than the AO. Jazz at the Pawnshop, I can imagine myself in Stampen in a booth close to the musicians. Eric Gales Live at the Sunset Strip, I can imagine myself in the Viper Room with friends with a drink in my hand.

It would come down to mood for me not so much that one is better than the other for these specific genres and recordings.

With studio recorded albums for pop, rock, metal, country....etc, I prefer the AC.
Just to throw this out there...for jazz and classical, I think they both lose out to the Verite open. I do prefer the Atrium for almost any music with vocals, but for acoustic instrumental music of any genre - Verite, with that solid, meaty presentation can't be beat.

Mar 27, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #3,012 of 3,122
Just to throw this out there...for jazz and classical, I think they both lose out to the Verite open. I do prefer the Atrium for almost any music with vocals, but for acoustic instrumental music of any genre - Verite, with that solid, meaty presentation can't be beat.
I don't own the Utopia, but I agree with you that I do prefer other headphones with Jazz and Classical.

Mar 29, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #3,014 of 3,122
Mar 29, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #3,015 of 3,122
Since Monday I've been listening to the AC exclusively to get initial impressions and to burn in.

Wanted to form my initial impressions with a single voice, so all listening has been done on SS with the Bliss. When I've not been listening, they've been burning in on a DAP.

Passed the 100-hour mark early this afternoon and made the move to a tube amp.

Powered up the HA-300MKII and I only have one thing to say.

tenor-3852635388.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back