ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Aug 21, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #1,802 of 3,122
Yeah I ended up reading more and realize that it's much more complex than what I was thinking.

Also I really think the suede pads are really so far superior to the lambskin for my preferred sound. The lambskin sound too veiled to my ears but the suede are chef's kiss

Same here, I am more of a Suede user than the lambskin

I enjoy the greater sense of air and treble emphasis over the lambskin.

The compromise in the bass response due to changing to suede can be 'restored' by tube rolling and gentle EQ. Using the former method alone can get me 60% of the bass I had in lambskin.

Aug 21, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #1,803 of 3,122
I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible to at least approximate it, guitar amp sims are a thing. I think there just isn’t as much of a market for it in hifi.
It is possible, but is usually done in DSP, rather than with EQ. Even then, guitar pros will tell you that models are great for prototyping but most still prefer the real deal.

Someone made a device to inject even order harmonics into a system, but I can't find the link for the article. @L0rdGwyn knows what it's called.
Nelson Pass created a device which injects even order harmonics called H2 Generator. You can assemble/solder yourself and is simple and inexpensive.
You can also tune the amount of distortion by turning a pot. It’s meant to sit between your DAC and headamp.

Can purchase kit here.

@Benesyed just pm me if you’re interested but need someone to assemble for you. : )

Aug 21, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #1,804 of 3,122
My Atrium Closed was supposed to arrive today but UPS decided that I'll have to wait a little longer. Oh well, I guess anticipation will have to do for one more day.

Aug 21, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #1,805 of 3,122
Nelson Pass created a device which injects even order harmonics called H2 Generator. You can assemble/solder yourself and is simple and inexpensive.
You can also tune the amount of distortion by turning a pot. It’s meant to sit between your DAC and headamp.

Can purchase kit here.

Very cool..

Aug 23, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #1,806 of 3,122
Out of curiosity, How does the Atrium Closed compare to the Legendary Sony MDR-R10? I realise there are a lot of variants for the latter just wondering how they sound in relation to each other.

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #1,807 of 3,122
Out of curiosity, How does the Atrium Closed compare to the Legendary Sony MDR-R10? I realise there are a lot of variants for the latter just wondering how they sound in relation to each other.

very different presentations. I have both but didn't do back-to-back comparisons so this is more off the cuff for quick reply (can do more thoroughly another time):

The AC has an overall warmer tuning, and more elveated lower bass and sub-bass

The R10 has more neutrL tuning, less bass, heavenly mids, and a much bigger soundstage (this is comparative, as the AC has a great soundstage)

So if you like more weight on the notes and a bass that will shake your bones, the AC is the best - and, to my taste, the best closed-back headphones available to buy today, at any price from any brand. Simply, it's stellar.

If you like a lighter and more airy touch, with an uncannily big soundstand - and you have some way of getting these headphones (including tremendous amount of patience and money) - this would be it. Of course, 30+ yr old headphones with no service or replacements need to be factored into your risk tolerance.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #1,808 of 3,122
very different presentations. I have both but didn't do back-to-back comparisons so this is more off the cuff for quick reply (can do more thoroughly another time):

The AC has an overall warmer tuning, and more elveated lower bass and sub-bass

The R10 has more netural tuning, less bass, heavenly mids, and a much bigger soundstage (this comparative, as the AC has great soundstage)

So if you like more weight on the notes and a bass that will shake your bones, the AC is the best - and, to my taste, the best closed-back headphones available to buy today at any price from any brand. Simply, it's stellar.

If you like a lighter and more airy touch, with an uncannily big soundstand - and you have some way of getting these headphones (including tremendous amount of patience and money) - this would be it. Of course, 30+ yr old headphones with no service or replacements need to be factors into your risk tolerance.
Wow that’s quite a collection! 😁

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #1,809 of 3,122
Aug 24, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,811 of 3,122
Redwood ACs are in! They're soooo pretty

IMG_8338.jpg

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #1,812 of 3,122
First impressions are really positive, I'm liking these with the suede pads better than both the AO (from memory) and VC. They're definitely more resolving than the Auteur Classic, but jury's still out on which tuning I prefer.

Most impressive aspect so far is imaging and staging is the best I’ve heard in a closed back. Not quite as ethereal as VC, but still very spacious and more crisp.

VC definitely has a faster sound, especially in the bass, but AC timbre is a bit more natural for vocals

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #1,813 of 3,122
One thing I forgot to mention on my brief impressions is how phenomenal they are for watching movies. Very much a surround sound experience and they render sub bass which normally goes to the subwoofer, better than any other headphones which makes them especially good for action movies.

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #1,814 of 3,122
Aug 24, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #1,815 of 3,122

Users who are viewing this thread

Back