ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Aug 9, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #1,726 of 3,122
I enjoyed the variability and slight chance aspect of the finish. To me that makes it truly a work of art rather than a simple commission. I totally understand the opposite feeling. just sharing my perspective.

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #1,727 of 3,122
I enjoyed the variability and slight chance aspect of the finish. To me that makes it truly a work of art rather than a simple commission. I totally understand the opposite feeling. just sharing my perspective.
I think that's a healthy attitude to have and I agree it creates an additional element of excitement waiting to see it, and the final piece is more unique.

I had a bunch of anxiety after ordering my Auteur Classic about how it was going to look, which seems crazy, but you spend a lot of money on something like this and you want it to live up to whatever expectations you've generated as a result of product shots or photos of other people's headphones. It turned out great, better than I originally hoped (it did take a little bit for me to come around on its character versus the 'clean' look I had envisioned). That hasn't stopped me from having just as much or more anxiety about the Caldera I ordered - considering it's more than twice the price and I decided to jump in on a limited burl release where Zach has clearly stated there's gonna be more variance than a stock wood. So I do it to myself, clearly :sweat_smile: .

*edit - as an addendum to this - while the used market is certainly a safer way to get what you want, there's a special aspect of getting a new ZMF, made for you, that is yours. I also have a VC that I purchased second-hand that is a lovely Sapele. Very clean, great shape, beautiful chatoyance. But I love that my Auteur was made for me and I don't hold the same affection towards my VC despite actually preferring its sound signature.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #1,728 of 3,122
A few more of the redwood burl. The first pic is a cup next to the Walnut wood of my Envy. Definitely more orange-red than the brown of walnut. The sides of the cups are really beautiful too and I could imagine the whole front being like that if cut in a different direction but with a completley different look.

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpeg
    IMG_0146.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    561.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0137.jpeg
    IMG_0137.jpeg
    546.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 9, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #1,729 of 3,122
A few more of the redwood burl. The first pic is a cup next to the Walnut wood of my Envy. Definitely more orange-red than the brown of walnut. The sides of the cups are really beautiful too and I could imagine the whole front being like that if cut in a different direction but with a completley different look.
Those are my favorite looking burl to date. They look like a frozen fire, incredible!

Aug 9, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #1,730 of 3,122

I absolutely love the pattern in your cups. Just beautiful!

Aug 9, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,731 of 3,122
Those are my favorite looking burl to date. They look like a frozen fire, incredible!
You are not alone. That pair is hands down the best looking burl I have seen. :astonished:

Aug 9, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #1,732 of 3,122
Wow you got some insane burl patterns. Looks like a neural network. I will be receiving my pair soon, I also asked for super burly so hoping it's somewhat similar to yours.

Aug 9, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #1,734 of 3,122
Incredible wood grain. It has a 3D effect that adds to being mesmerized by it. Enjoy!!! :beerchug:

Aug 9, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #1,735 of 3,122
Adding some photos of my Redwood Burl AC just so other folks can see what these look like in person...I took some in direct light and others in darker, more natural lighting. I would say to the naked eye, the darker shots are more accurate as far as what they look like with inside lighting. In the sunlight they really warm up. Like most ZMFs with the glossy finish, it's really tough to take a picture that accurately reflects what they look like in person. They do shift pretty significantly from a light vibrant red/orange to a darker red, almost brown depending on the light, makes them really interesting looking!

In my notes for this order I said I love a wood grain look and didn't want something that was super red or super burly.

Just FYI for all :)

Attachments

• IMG_3902.jpeg
    IMG_3902.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3908.jpeg
    IMG_3908.jpeg
  • IMG_3907.jpeg
    IMG_3907.jpeg
  • IMG_3906.jpeg
    IMG_3906.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3905.jpeg
    IMG_3905.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3904.jpeg
    IMG_3904.jpeg
  • IMG_3903.jpeg
    IMG_3903.jpeg
Aug 9, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #1,736 of 3,122
Adding some photos of my Redwood Burl AC just so other folks can see what these look like in person...I took some in direct light and others in darker, more natural lighting. I would say to the naked eye, the darker shots are more accurate as far as what they look like with inside lighting. In the sunlight they really warm up. Like most ZMFs with the glossy finish, it's really tough to take a picture that accurately reflects what they look like in person. They do shift pretty significantly from a light vibrant red/orange to a darker red, almost brown depending on the light, makes them really interesting looking!

In my notes for this order I said I love a wood grain look and didn't want something that was super red or super burly.

I love how the right side the burls open into a waterfall effect over the sloping edge of the cup. I'd have been happy with any of the ones posted so far.

Aug 9, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #1,737 of 3,122
The biocellulose family
Biocellulose Headphones.jpg

I started this hobby with Denon AH-D5000 over 15 years ago, got to Fostex TH900 which I still love, and ended up with Atrium Open. I guess I need AC too to finish the biocellulose journey!

Aug 10, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #1,738 of 3,122
Had the privilege of having the VC and AC side by side for demo.

AC is widest soundstage closed headphone I ever heard. Surpassing a lot of open backs HPs for soundstage, which I think is incredible.

More impressions to come!

Attachments

• 20230810_104002.jpg
    20230810_104002.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 10, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #1,740 of 3,122

Those are gorgeous- thank you for sharing the range of photos and helpful description! 👍👍 And, of course, congratulations! :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back