ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Aug 7, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #1,696 of 3,122
Aug 7, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #1,698 of 3,122
Excited to see pictures of these burl sets in their forever homes!

Aug 8, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #1,699 of 3,122
Would love to see real world photos of headphones with redwood.

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #1,700 of 3,122
Would love to see real world photos of headphones with redwood.
Ask and ye shall receive. Here’s my redwood Burl beauties, no post processing just iPhone pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1348.jpeg
    IMG_1348.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1347.jpeg
    IMG_1347.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1346.jpeg
    IMG_1346.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 8, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #1,701 of 3,122
Ask and ye shall receive. Here’s my redwood Burl beauties, no post processing just iPhone pics.
Oh wow, these look great but are quite a different shade than every redwood burl I've seen in the promo material. From the thumbnails without reading your post I would have thought they were the Walnut burls.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #1,702 of 3,122
Oh wow, these look great but are quite a different shade than every redwood burl I've seen in the promo material. From the thumbnails without reading your post I would have thought they were the Walnut burls.
Agreed, they're much more brown than red. If I hit them with a flash unit or tweak the white balance of the photo a bit they'll shift to that really red hue you see in the promo pics. But just looking at them in the real world, they're not nearly as red looking as the pics would suggest. It could be my unit is a darker version than the others too. Here’sa quick iPhone edit that matches more with the promo pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1348.jpeg
    IMG_1348.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #1,703 of 3,122
Beautiful headphone, the grain is really unique. Though I really hope that my unit will be red like the product pics suggest. Might have went with camphor burl if I knew that redwood can turn out to be basically "regular" brown.

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #1,704 of 3,122
Thank you very much. :thumbsup:
I was expecting this from pictures I googled about redwood.
I am not so shure if the promo photos ZMF is releasing is the "real deal", meaning sometimes they are steering expectations in the wrong direction.
Case proofed by the above post.

Edit: Or can redwood vary in colour that much?

Edit: How would you discribe the colour with your own eyes? more brownish or red'ish?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #1,705 of 3,122
Beautiful headphone, the grain is really unique. Though I really hope that my unit will be red like the product pics suggest. Might have went with camphor burl if I knew that redwood can turn out to be basically "regular" brown.
One thing I've found with mine is it's highly reactive to lighting and the angle of the light. Under more "daylight" lights, around 5000 kelvin, very white/clear light, they lean red. Under warmer softer light, like the old school yellowish 3000 kelvin lights, they lean brown. But even under the 3000 kelvin lights if you rotate them cups around so the light reflects at different angles, the color changes quite noticeably. They're a very unique looking wood for sure.

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #1,706 of 3,122
Thank you very much. :thumbsup:
I was expecting this from pictures I googled about redwood.
I am not so shure if the promo photos ZMF is releasing is the "real deal", meaning sometimes they are steering expectations in the wrong direction.
Case proofed by the above post.

Edit: Or can redwood vary in colour that much?

Edit: How would you discribe the colour with your own eyes? more brownish or red'ish?
I can see how the promo pictures can differ from normal lighting conditions as they're using studio strobes to take the pics, which blasts the subject with clean white light. That will affect the coloration quite a bit. If I hold mine under really bright white lights, say 5000 kelvin fluorescents, they definitely look reddish. But under dimmer lights they are darker and more brownish. I don't think they're trying to mislead anyone, it's just the nature of product photography, which I've done myself. Those studio lights have a dramatic effect on the look of the subject. It brings out all the ultra fine color and detail, which is the desired effect given it's intended to show off the product at it's best.

Aug 8, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #1,707 of 3,122
I originally ordered the Red Mallee Caldera but got cold feet shortly after and requested a switch to Redwood the day after (which ZMF graciously obliged), mostly due to weight concerns but also the redwood promo shots all just look stunning and vibrant. Don't get me wrong, this is still a lovely looking wood, but I'm definitely hoping my set leans closer to the colour of the promo shots.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #1,708 of 3,122
I can see how the promo pictures can differ from normal lighting conditions as they're using studio strobes to take the pics, which blasts the subject with clean white light. That will affect the coloration quite a bit. If I hold mine under really bright white lights, say 5000 kelvin fluorescents, they definitely look reddish. But under dimmer lights they are darker and more brownish. I don't think they're trying to mislead anyone, it's just the nature of product photography, which I've done myself. Those studio lights have a dramatic effect on the look of the subject. It brings out all the ultra fine color and detail, which is the desired effect given it's intended to show off the product at it's best.
This is definitely true and something to keep in mind (another earlier pic showed a pretty notable shift in vibrancy between the Bimble box promo and real-life, though they were really pleased with the difference). In an ideal world ZMF would have the time and resources to show a couple builds of each wood that show more of that variance first-hand but I understand why this isn't realistic (and potentially would only lead to people hesitating on purchases). The note about it in the copy is important, but still only does so much if you aren't familiar with the woods and just have the promo/product shots as reference.

Aug 8, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,709 of 3,122
Finally able to listen to Atrium Closed again today. The Cherry Atrium is as fun as I remembered. Solid full body tonality, energetic, punchy, a bit forward vocal that elevate musicality even more. High end can be fun and (till some extent) forgiving too!

Keep in note that Atrium Closed is sensitive to seal. When I use my regular glasses (thick temple), Atrium Closed become a bit sharp on treble, lose a bit of Vocal and Bass body too. I need to remove my glasses to tried AC optimally (or use my reading glass that has very thin temple).

p.s: the pairing with Cayin HA-3A is really good

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #1,710 of 3,122
Actually I also expect my rosewood burl VO to turn out red. The pictures really indicate we will receive a reddish glossy finished wood.
Mostly I purchased the VO because of the soft wood but also to add a red wood to my ZMF collection.
Let's see how it will turn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back