ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Aug 3, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #1,681 of 3,122
I had the good fortune of snagging a pair of Atrium Closed that were leftovers from a recent show. The pearlescent qualities of the stabilized resin is extremely difficult to capture in photos (especially my amateur skills with an iPhone 11). Today I had some fun attempting to do so today while the Blue Angels practiced above our house for Seafair this weekend.

2023-08-03 14.48.40 crop.jpg
^ Blue Angels cameo (Top right)

2023-08-03 14.45.41.jpg

2023-08-03 14.46.20.jpg

2023-08-03 12.25.04.jpg

2023-08-03 10.51.09.jpg
The current stable: Aeolus (Ziricote), Atrium Closed (Stabilized Maple Resin), Verite Closed (Stabilized Maple)

@zach915m has hit it out of the park with these headphones! I'm still trying to find the right words to articulate how these sound, but initial impressions are extremely good. The the soundstage and timbre are so so dreamy... and ohhh that bass! After ~250 hours of listening with a variety of amps (tube and SS), the Blue Halo+ OTL by @A2029 is by far the most magical. It's been a super fun platform to enrich and enhance the already superb sonic qualities of these headphones via tube rolling. I had high hopes for the Atrium Closed and have to say they have far exceeded my expectations - both in looks and sound! What a perfect compliment to the Verite Closed.

2023-08-03 10.46.54.jpg

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,682 of 3,122
I had the good fortune of snagging a pair of Atrium Closed that were leftovers from a recent show. The pearlescent qualities of the stabilized resin is extremely difficult to capture in photos (especially my amateur skills with an iPhone 11). Today I had some fun attempting to do so today while the Blue Angels practiced above our house for Seafair this weekend.

2023-08-03 14.45.41.jpg

2023-08-03 14.46.20.jpg

2023-08-03 12.25.04.jpg

2023-08-03 10.51.09.jpg
The current stable: Aeolus (Ziricote), Atrium Closed (Stabilized Maple Resin), Verite Closed (Stabilized Maple)

@zach915m has hit it out of the park with these headphones! I'm still trying to find the right words to articulate how these sound, but initial impressions are extremely good. The the soundstage and timbre are so so dreamy... and ohhh that bass! After ~250 hours of listening with a variety of amps (tube and SS), the Blue Halo+ OTL by @A2029 is by far the most magical. It's been a super fun platform to enrich and enhance the already superb sonic qualities of these headphones via tube rolling. I had high hopes for the Atrium Closed and have to say they have far exceeded my expectations - both in looks and sound! What a perfect compliment to the Verite Closed.

2023-08-03 10.46.54.jpg
These look incredible! Like a mini planet.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,683 of 3,122

Wow, those are stunning AC's--like Earth from space! The Navy's Blue Angels are an amazing team to see in person at an Air Show. I grew up south of Naval Air Station Jacksonville and saw them first there in FL and a few times during my time in the US Air Force. USAF Thunderbirds are good too but the Angels fly a tighter formation in the F/A-18 Hornets.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #1,684 of 3,122
Wow, those are stunning AC's--like Earth from space! The Navy's Blue Angels are an amazing team to see in person at an Air Show. I grew up south of Naval Air Station Jacksonville and saw them first there in FL and a few times during my time in the US Air Force. USAF Thunderbirds are good too but the Angels fly a tighter formation in the F/A-18 Hornets.
Absolutely. I grew up seeing the Blue Angels perform every year on my birthday. They used to close the I-90 floating bridge to cars and let people watch from the bridge in the middle of the lake. While the main group was distracting you with some cool formations way above, a rogue F/A-18 would sneak from behind and buzz over everyone's heads. I think they stopped doing that years ago, but I will never forget the rush of experiencing that as a kid!

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #1,686 of 3,122
There is any comparison between the Atrium Closed and the Focal Stellia?
Won’t write a full article, but AC sounds lusher and more lifelike. I can’t with Stellia sounding too metallic for my taste.

Aug 5, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #1,688 of 3,122
I am having a strange issue where if I leave the Atrium closed plugged in to my Sony WM1AM2, sometimes when I turn the player on and go to play music, it is slightly more quiet in the left ear. I never had this issue with my MDR-Z1R though I havent used the MDR-Z1R again since the Atriums got here.

I know for the amps it recommends letting the amp power up then plugging the headphones in. Is there something similar for DAPs?

The only other thing it could be is perhaps the connection loosens. Unplug and replug fixes it right away. Its never happened mid playing music. And it doesnt always happen on start up either.

Aug 5, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #1,689 of 3,122
I am having a strange issue where if I leave the Atrium closed plugged in to my Sony WM1AM2, sometimes when I turn the player on and go to play music, it is slightly more quiet in the left ear. I never had this issue with my MDR-Z1R though I havent used the MDR-Z1R again since the Atriums got here.

I know for the amps it recommends letting the amp power up then plugging the headphones in. Is there something similar for DAPs?

The only other thing it could be is perhaps the connection loosens. Unplug and replug fixes it right away. Its never happened mid playing music. And it doesnt always happen on start up either.

(1) it’s really a bad idea to turn on or off any amplifying device with headphones plugged in. It’s unnecessary risk for the drivers. Pls avoid this moving forward, not worth it..

(2) try another cable just to rule out there is something loose either end of it.

(3) try another source just to rule out there isn’t a dap issue (or try your dap with another headphone)

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #1,690 of 3,122

Looks like something at DAP level. Try SE out as walkman has different circuit for both.

Aug 5, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #1,691 of 3,122
(1) it’s really a bad idea to turn on or off any amplifying device with headphones plugged in. It’s unnecessary risk for the drivers. Pls avoid this moving forward, not worth it..

(2) try another cable just to rule out there is something loose either end of it.

(3) try another source just to rule out there isn’t a dap issue (or try your dap with another headphone)
Thanks, I didn't think it would be an issue for a dap given that it doesn't produce much power but going forward I'll unplug!

I always thought I was preventing mechanical damage. I guess I was actually the fool.

I'll switch to my Sony headphones later and see how things play out.

Aug 5, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #1,692 of 3,122

2023-08-03 14.45.41.jpg

2023-08-03 14.46.20.jpg

2023-08-03 12.25.04.jpg

2023-08-03 10.51.09.jpg

2023-08-03 10.46.54.jpg
Stunning!

These look incredible! Like a mini planet.

I thought the exact same thing.

Aug 7, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #1,693 of 3,122
You’ll also need to let them break-in. It’s very real with these drivers and I guarantee you’ll notice it over the next 100 hours.

I am surprised by how well my Questyle M15 drives the AC (balanced), but IME, the AC really blooms with higher output amplifiers that have no problem swinging higher voltages

Looking forward to your impressions!

Especially curious to see if they line up with my own, especially compared to the Z1R.

I think overall the Atrium Closed is a the better pair whereas the Sonys are a more particular experience. I haven't heard a track yet that sounds bad on the AC. Even Panic at the discos "High hopes" which I find a challenging track that can easily sound overly sibilant or compressed is solid on the AC. On the Sonys it is very sibilant and brittle.

That being said the expansive sound of the Sonys can be very satisfying on many tracks esp electronic tracks that don't have a lot of competing upper bass and lower mids
Currently if I could only have one I would go with the AC but I'm still in the honeymoon phase.

From non sound perspective both are beautifully made and finished. The sony are a tad lighter and perhaps a little more comfortable for me due to the less intense clamping force and very plush leather earcups. That being said the AC with suede ear pads are less likely to over heat on my ears than the Sony

Aug 7, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #1,695 of 3,122

Users who are viewing this thread

Back