ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Jul 15, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #1,591 of 3,122
Yeah Zach's Seahorse Case's are perfect travel cases! They are are brutally well made near indestructable and nicely cushioned inside! Envious of your Bimble Box! Would love a pair of Aussie Eucalytptus Burl. That show Mag set in Black on the page is to die for, what wonderfully multiversally dimensional layering they display! Hopefully yours are in that range!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #1,592 of 3,122
Yeah Zach's Seahorse Case's are perfect travel cases! They are are brutally well made near indestructable and nicely cushioned inside! Envious of your Bimble Box! Would love a pair of Aussie Eucalytptus Burl. That show Mag set in Black on the page is to die for, what wonderfully multiversally dimensional layering they display! Hopefully yours are in that range!

Thanks! i have not seen the seahorse case before so it may be perfect. wanted something not too big so I could put them in my backpack safely but without taking up too much room

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #1,593 of 3,122
I got the Camphor Burl in my shopping cart right now. Gonna sleep on it tonight before I buy. I don't need another pair of dynamics at all, but these are so pretty, and I've heard good things :thinking:

Jul 15, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #1,594 of 3,122
I got the Camphor Burl in my shopping cart right now. Gonna sleep on it tonight before I buy. I don't need another pair of dynamics at all, but these are so pretty, and I've heard good things :thinking:

The AC aren't like any other dynamic you have. You may find them quite unique and worth pulling the trigger, perhaps offloading another set to make room for.

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #1,595 of 3,122
The AC aren't like any other dynamic you have. You may find them quite unique and worth pulling the trigger, perhaps offloading another set to make room for.
I’m deciding between this and the Caldera burl that comes out later this month. I want both, but I have too many headphones already. Which one would you recommend? I listen to mostly metal, rap, and plain ol’ rock n’ roll.

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #1,596 of 3,122
Jul 16, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #1,597 of 3,122
My two favorite ZMFs. I use Caldera for most genres, including rock and metal. I use the AC for reggae, psybient and trance.
Do you use the AC for those genres because you prefer the bass on the AC?

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #1,598 of 3,122
I’m deciding between this and the Caldera burl that comes out later this month. I want both, but I have too many headphones already. Which one would you recommend? I listen to mostly metal, rap, and plain ol’ rock n’ roll

Like @Monsterzero , I find the Caldera and AC the most unique ZMF headphone, and they also complement each other bueatufully.

Given your existing collection that includes Shang Sr, X9k, Susvara, etc, I’d recommend if you only got one ZMF then get the AC as it would be the most unique in the context of your existing collection.

That said, I might consider selling the Utopia or Expanse as well and then buy the Caldera as well. They are better imho.

Another option is to sell the VC..

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #1,599 of 3,122
I’m deciding between this and the Caldera burl that comes out later this month. I want both, but I have too many headphones already. Which one would you recommend? I listen to mostly metal, rap, and plain ol’ rock n’ roll.

I largely agree with the advices above. They're by far my top 2 products in the ZMF spectrum with healthy gaps to the 3rd and the rest.

TBH, unless you go for both, the choice eventually comes down to what virtues you are looking for.
  • Caldera is just almighty. ZMF-style SOTA. Very versatile. Very accurate in presentation (spatial, timbral, etc). The balance between "serious" and "fun" is 50-50.. or sometimes 60-40.
  • AC is more flavor-oriented. Very engaging with most genres (except complicated orchestral pieces for me). Kind of more interpretive and romantic in many cases. The serious-to-fun ratio is 40-60 or 35-65, I'd say.

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #1,600 of 3,122
Like @Monsterzero , I find the Caldera and AC the most unique ZMF headphone, and they also complement each other bueatufully.

Given your existing collection that includes Shang Sr, X9k, Susvara, etc, I’d recommend if you only got one ZMF then get the AC as it would be the most unique in the context of your existing collection.

That said, I might consider selling the Utopia or Expanse as well and then buy the Caldera as well. They are better imho.

Another option is to sell the VC..

I largely agree with the advices above. They're by far my top 2 products in the ZMF spectrum with healthy gaps to the 3rd and the rest.

TBH, unless you go for both, the choice eventually comes down to what virtues you are looking for.
  • Caldera is just almighty. ZMF-style SOTA. Very versatile. Very accurate in presentation (spatial, timbral, etc). The balance between "serious" and "fun" is 50-50.. or sometimes 60-40.
  • AC is more flavor-oriented. Very engaging with most genres (except complicated orchestral pieces for me). Kind of more interpretive and romantic in many cases. The serious-to-fun ratio is 40-60 or 35-65, I'd say.
Thanks, gentlemen. :cheers:

Both cans sound very promising. We shall see what my dreams tonight tell me.

I’ve been in a “fun” headphone listening stage recently, but at other times I want serious. At the extremes, basically a 1266 phase alternating with a Shang Sr phase.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #1,601 of 3,122
Do you use the AC for those genres because you prefer the bass on the AC?
I enjoy the bass on both of them, but the AC is the ZMF for bassheads, especially on the softer wood and stock pads.
The Caldera is a perfect balance between musicality and technicalities, and has the best midrange of any planar I've heard. It's also surprisingly gentle with older albums that don't have the best production.
Last night I listened to the "Cricklewood Green"- Ten Years After album on the Caldera and when 50,000 Miles came on I just sat there slack jawed. There's so much going on in that track that I'd never really picked up on before. It's truly a breathtaking performance, and the Caldera just plopped me right down on the stage and the song just danced around my head. The production value isn't great, but the Caldera was gentle enough with it to allow me to enjoy it, and the holographic staging and imaging, like I said allowed me to really hear it in an entirely different way.

Jul 16, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #1,602 of 3,122
I enjoy the bass on both of them, but the AC is the ZMF for bassheads, especially on the softer wood and stock pads.
The Caldera is a perfect balance between musicality and technicalities, and has the best midrange of any planar I've heard. It's also surprisingly gentle with older albums that don't have the best production.
Last night I listened to the "Cricklewood Green"- Ten Years After album on the Caldera and when 50,000 Miles came on I just sat there slack jawed. There's so much going on in that track that I'd never really picked up on before. It's truly a breathtaking performance, and the Caldera just plopped me right down on the stage and the song just danced around my head. The production value isn't great, but the Caldera was gentle enough with it to allow me to enjoy it, and the holographic staging and imaging, like I said allowed me to really hear it in an entirely different way.

One of the fav bands of my wife, was the track I showed her Caldera with when it came in :)

Jul 16, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #1,603 of 3,122
One of the fav bands of my wife, was the track I showed her Caldera with when it came in :)
Nice! Alvin Lee is one of the most under appreciated guitarists ever.

Jul 16, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #1,604 of 3,122

That is a killer album :)

Jul 16, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #1,605 of 3,122
I decided on the ACs, and just ordered the Camphor Burl. I'm a basshead, and I'll wait for the stabilized Calderas in November. After reading up on reviews, the sub-bass on the ACs has me the most interested. Plus, @goldwerger 's impressions helped with how the AC should fit into my collection well. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back