ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Jun 21, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #1,381 of 3,119
Testing the AC out with guitar driven/heavy music and I really, really like it. Similar to the AO, guitars are so well represented on the AC. Full sounding, raw, great separation and just real. Been going back to the epic Blackwater Park album by Opeth (20th Anniversary Edition) and really enjoying how it's being represented.

Yes! I love Blackwater Park on the AO, and most guitar driven music. The way the Atrium driver represent guitars is *chef's kiss*.

Edit: I also highly recommend Opeth: Live at Red Rocks Amphitheater

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #1,382 of 3,119
Hi All,

Just got my ZMF Atrium unaged Cherry and they looked great throughout until I noticed these black marks on the middle of my headphones.

Are these normal? I don't see any black marks anywhere else besides the inner part of these earcups. Does anyone have a unaged Cherry pair that I can compare mine to?

Edit: they are infact normal
If this is the same wood/finish ZMF uses on AO for the unaged natural selection, here is what you have to look forward to.

When I received my AO in the natural Cherry finish, the wood was quite light and color without much in the way of figure/grain that could be "easily" seen, specially when compared to LTD editions as one would expect.

After about 11 months they've transformed into this. Now, regrettably I didn't (and am probably one of the rare souls that didnt upon receiving their ZMF headphones) take any pictures when I first received them, but I can assure you the wood looked similar to your pictures. I have been using the Penthouse polish ZMF recommends on their FAQ page. There are a few nicks here and there from unfortunate fumbles/slippages from the hands, but such is life. However, I am absolutely in love with how the Cherry has aged - the wood looks absolutely gorgeous now, the picture really doesn't even do it justice.

1687368903339.png

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #1,383 of 3,119
If this is the same wood/finish ZMF uses on AO for the unaged natural selection, here is what you have to look forward to.

When I received my AO in the natural Cherry finish, the wood was quite light and color without much in the way of figure/grain that could be "easily" seen, specially when compared to LTD editions as one would expect.

After about 11 months they've transformed into this. Now, regrettably I didn't (and am probably one of the rare souls that didnt upon receiving their ZMF headphones) take any pictures when I first received them, but I can assure you the wood looked similar to your pictures. I have been using the Penthouse polish ZMF recommends on their FAQ page. There are a few nicks here in there from unfortunate fumbles/slippages from the hands, but such is life. However, I am absolutely in love with how the Cherry has aged - the wood looks absolutely gorgeous now, the picture really doesn't even do it justice.

1687368903339.png

That's why cherry is such a wonderful wood. That patina happens so quickly.

Jun 21, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #1,384 of 3,119

After about 11 months they've transformed into this. Now, regrettably I didn't (and am probably one of the rare souls that didnt upon receiving their ZMF headphones) take any pictures when I first received them, but I can assure you the wood looked similar to your pictures. I have been using the Penthouse polish ZMF recommends on their FAQ page. There are a few nicks here in there from unfortunate fumbles/slippages from the hands, but such is life. However, I am absolutely in love with how the Cherry has aged - the wood looks absolutely gorgeous now, the picture really doesn't even do it justice.

1687368903339.png
Am so tempted to get a regular cherry AO just for this. I heard and fell in love with the AO but then heard that AC is coming out so I ordered it blind.
But then I’m also really tempted to get a Caldera also 😅

Jun 21, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #1,385 of 3,119
That's why cherry is such a wonderful wood. That patina happens so quickly.
I honestly didn't even know Cherry aged in such a fashion at the time of purchasing - it was a very welcomed surprise to say the least. Don't think I will ever part with this pair of headphones now .. it inherently becomes a very unique and personal experience since it is unlike a lot of gear out there made out of metals and plastics.

Jun 21, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #1,386 of 3,119
it inherently becomes a very unique and personal experience since it is unlike a lot of gear out there made out of metals and plastics.
^^^ Yes THIS! ^^^

I see my ZMFs as heirlooms, and it was hard to sell my Auteur pair, but getting an AC is the right thing for me in a few months.

Along with my Norne cables (and, possibly, even my Woo amp and tubes) they are treasured items I plan to happily (but with some sadness) pass to my son when my hearing eventually deteriorates with age. And along with that, the natural aging of wood cups is simply part of the cycle of life.

:gs1000smile: ❤️😊

Jun 21, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #1,387 of 3,119
I see my ZMFs as heirlooms, and it was hard to sell my Auteur pair, but getting an AC is the right thing for me in a few months.

Along with my Norne cables (and, possibly, even my Woo amp and tubes) they are treasured items I plan to happily (but with some sadness) pass to my son when my hearing eventually deteriorates with age. And along with that, the natural aging of wood cups is simply part of the cycle of life.
Are you try to write your obituary ?. Just joking, i have 4 children and they like music but none of them show any interest in my headphones or amps. Sometime i asked them for opinions and they told my wife that i forced them to listen.:sleepy::sleepy: :L3000:

Jun 21, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #1,388 of 3,119
Are you try to write your obituary ?. Just joking, i have 4 children and they like music but none of them show any interest in my headphones or amps. Sometime i asked them for opinions and they told my wife that i forced them to listen.:sleepy::sleepy: :L3000:
Crazy! They don't know what they are missing. :o2smile:

Jun 21, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #1,389 of 3,119
Are you try to write your obituary ?
There’s only one of him. I’ll manage to hold him off if he tries to accelerate my eventual demise. 😂 Fortunately he does love music (or unfortunately, should he realize he wants the head-fi gear sooner)…

Then again he does already have a pair of Beyer DT-770 Pros and a Creek OBH-11 to tide him over through college. 🎧

Jun 21, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #1,390 of 3,119
There’s only one of him. I’ll manage to hold him off if he tries to accelerate my eventual demise. 😂 Fortunately he does love music (or unfortunately, should he realize he wants the head-fi gear sooner)…

Then again he does already have a pair of Beyer DT-770 Pros and a Creek OBH-11 to tide him over through college. 🎧
I gave my 2nd son who is 21 years old couple headphones, but he never touches my gear.

Jun 21, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #1,391 of 3,119
^^^ Yes THIS! ^^^

:gs1000smile: ❤️😊

Likewise, I've purchased more gear than I need including a few ZMF's that I also claim as heirlooms for my three children. They are still at a young age where they are learning why I'm so interested in the audio gear with some amusement. There is hope as all of them do appreciate various genres of music and are comfortable with tech.

Jun 21, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #1,392 of 3,119
One of my favorite albums, listening to Eva Cassidy's "Live At Blues Alley" this evening, trying the recent remastered 25th anniversary edition (which I haven't yet listened to).

If there were a music for which the AC + Decware/ZMF OTL combo was made for, it would be this kind of small club, live venue, acoustic music.

Just... spectacular. Grateful for my armchair this evening ❤️

1687314948255.png
OK...I had to reply to this post as this is also one of my favorite records! I have this in the 45-RPM version, and agree it is perfect for the Atrium Closed and an OTL tube amp. However, this record has just 13 of the songs that were performed that night (1/03/96). So I bought the 'Box Set' of 7 records (also 45-RPM) that has all 31 songs that were performed...I'll try to attach a picture below. This is my favorite live-record to listen to...sometimes I use one of my ZMF headphones, and sometimes I use my speaker system where it can really image...but either way a nice listen! I believe this was the only live album that Eva recorded before she passed away later in 1996, so I think it is a special record. Thanks for posting this!

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpeg
    IMG_0202.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 21, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #1,393 of 3,119
OK...I had to reply to this post as this is also one of my favorite records! I have this in the 45-RPM version, and agree it is perfect for the Atrium Closed and an OTL tube amp. However, this record has just 13 of the songs that were performed that night (1/03/96). So I bought the 'Box Set' of 7 records (also 45-RPM) that has all 31 songs that were performed...I'll try to attach a picture below. This is my favorite live-record to listen to...sometimes I use one of my ZMF headphones, and sometimes I use my speaker system where it can really image...but either way a nice listen! I believe this was the only live album that Eva recorded before she passed away later in 1996, so I think it is a special record. Thanks for posting this!

I believe you are right. Such a loss of talent so early in her journey (which mostly played out posthumously). We are lucky this recording was made available.

Thanks for this info. I’ll try to chase this box set in a CD package and see if I can reap this set onto my Roon core. Much appreciated!

Jun 22, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #1,394 of 3,119
Eva Cassidy's "Live At Blues Alley" is one of my favorites as well. Her wonderful voice in those very good songs, played in such an intimate place… is something very pleasant to listen to

Thanks for the info about this complete “box set”. I’ll try to look for it in TIDAL and have a listen this evening

Jun 22, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,395 of 3,119
A big thank you to @zach915m for responding and getting me a replacement pair so quickly!

They look amazing in person. I'm not going to comment too much on the sound but it is pretty surprising how wide the soundstage are for a closed back. They also sound distinctly different from the Utopias which i think would make them a great complement pair going forward. I look forward to switching between the two for the next few weeks. Anyways i'm a happy customer, thank you for taking care of me Zach.

Attachments

• 20230622_160812.jpg
    20230622_160812.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back