ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Apr 28, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #691 of 3,122
Very tempting to get hands in AO but not sure….currently have a VC (monkeypod) and been content with that along with HD800s on OTL tube amp. I am not a bass head but do like bass to be felt in my music. VC seems to be giving me that but donno what I am missing out on since my other can hd800s is not know for that.

Hmmmm can someone talk me out of it 😀
You're in the wrong place if you want someone to talk you out of buying damn good headphones :joy:

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #692 of 3,122
Very tempting to get hands in AO but not sure….currently have a VC (monkeypod) and been content with that along with HD800s on OTL tube amp. I am not a bass head but do like bass to be felt in my music. VC seems to be giving me that but donno what I am missing out on since my other can hd800s is not know for that.

What OTL do you pair with your VC?

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #693 of 3,122

As a ZMF Eikon (the godparent of the Atrium Closed) and ZMF Verité Closed owner, I can tell you the Eikon has a LOT more sub-bass (in a very, very good way).

If you got the AC (or an Eikon) it will be a substantial difference. Granted I have very sensitive lower-frequency hearing… 😊

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #694 of 3,122
Atrium Closed and The National’s new album both drop on the same day :L3000:

0bPEYbF.png

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #695 of 3,122
Apr 28, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #696 of 3,122
Bought the olive... and impulse bought the new Decware amp too.

Last evening I was listening to this track on my AC with the Decware OTL. The acoustic guitar notes and reverb of the slow drum kicks was sublime on the OTL.

Not a track I'd normally listen to, but Roon radio pushed to me for some reason at 2am when i was up listenign to music too late, and the magic of the OTL made me sink into a wonderful soundstage of reverb..

1682705334228.png

Apr 28, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #697 of 3,122

I have the VC and HD8000 and, yes, the AC is quite different.

As someone mentioned before here in the thread, none of us are going to recommend to you to get less headphones on this thread :wink:

Apr 28, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #698 of 3,122
I have the VC and HD8000 and, yes, the AC is quite different.

As someone mentioned before here in the thread, none of us are going to recommend to you to get less headphones on this thread :wink:
Ha! I know - wrong question lol!

Is AC too bass heavy compared to VC? how would you categorize the bass in AC? I am not looking for quantity but more on quality and I do have long listening sessions so just want to make sure its not something too bass

Apr 28, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #699 of 3,122
Just grabbed one in Olive with the case, I'm really looking forward to completing the collection!

Apr 28, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #700 of 3,122
Can I divert the thread for a moment to point out how we've had nearly 100 people reading and watching this thread all day? For a headphone release? :)

I forget if it was Tyler Eclectic, or Metal571, or Zach or Bevin who once said "ZMF people are like Jeep people, it's such a positive community of enthusiasts", and I can't help but feel the same. I'm so pleased to have years later finally been able to buy direct and support Zach and team.

Zach, what do you guys do on a new headphone day? Do you immediately start cranking out orders, or do you throw a release party, or something in-between?

Apr 28, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #701 of 3,122
Is AC too bass heavy compared to VC? how would you categorize the bass in AC? I am not looking for quantity but more on quality and I do have long listening sessions so just want to make sure its not something too bass
If you're worried about poor quality bass you can forget about that. The AC bass is top notch. Massive quantity and quality.
If you're worried about too much bass I'd suggest the olive wood version and start with the lambskin pads. If that is still too much bass swap to the suede pads.

Apr 28, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #702 of 3,122
Ha! I know - wrong question lol!

I made some comparative notes between the AC and VC at the bottom of this writeup:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zmfheadphones-atrium-closed.26353/reviews#review-30248

That said, with regards to bass in specific, the quick answer is that the AC has much more sub-bass (more than most any headphone I can think off) which done very very well. The AC is generally elevated in both sub-bass through mid bass and, with the Atrium damping system, it is a bit slower, meaning it has more decay and reverb. The VC is more mid-bass focused in the lower frequencies, and it faster with less decay. That means that it sounds more crisp and punchy. Neither is better or worse, they are just different presentations and the answer depends on your taste and preferences.

Apr 28, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #703 of 3,122
WHOA! Good for you! Couldn't swing that too.

Hard not to, when I listened to it at Canjam and decided I had to have it, it was off this and the Lord G OTL, and I'll be pretty disappointed if I don't get that same magic delivered. So, whole hog it is, and if it turns out that it sounds just as good out of the Holo stack, I'm sure there will be a ready secondary market.

Apr 28, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #704 of 3,122
Last evening I was listening to this track on my AC with the Decware OTL. The acoustic guitar notes and reverb of the slow drum kicks was sublime on the OTL.

Not a track I'd normally listen to, but Roon radio pushed to me for some reason at 2am when i was up listenign to music too late, and the magic of the OTL made me sink into a wonderful soundstage of reverb..

1682705334228.png
Roon Radio is amazing. Such a magical mystery tour 😊

Apr 28, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #705 of 3,122
Hard not to, when I listened to it at Canjam and decided I had to have it, it was off this and the Lord G OTL, and I'll be pretty disappointed if I don't get that same magic delivered.
For this very reason when I was at Canjam I only listed using a BHC and Feliks Echo. Did not want to hear it on pricier amps and I knew I can't pony up for it 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back