ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Apr 26, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #631 of 3,122
Would love to read comparison with Caldera and Verite Open. Currently considering getting a stabilized AC :)

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #632 of 3,122
Would love to read comparison with Caldera and Verite Open. Currently considering getting a stabilized AC :)
I think we will see the first ones around mid-summer, like last year, one part towards the end of July/beginning of August, the other part in September.

But you have to be really lucky to get the one you like as soon as they are online.
As a European you have to take a day off or get up earlier 😁.

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #633 of 3,122
I think we will see the first ones around mid-summer, like last year, one part towards the end of July/beginning of August, the other part in September.

But you have to be really lucky to get the one you like as soon as they are online.
As a European you have to take a day off or get up earlier 😁.
There are ways :D Currently I am not entirely sure I need one considering how Caldera replaced my VO and Elite haha, it’s just I always wanted a closed ZMF and AC is getting some stellar feedback. Just not sure its will compliment Caldera that well, since I really got used to this ZMF planar sound now.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #634 of 3,122
There are ways :D Currently I am not entirely sure I need one considering how Caldera replaced my VO and Elite haha, it’s just I always wanted a closed ZMF and AC is getting some stellar feedback. Just not sure its will compliment Caldera that well, since I really got used to this ZMF planar sound now.
IMO the Caldera and Atrium closed are on the opposite ends of the ZMF sound. You can't ask for more difference in between any two Zmfs, so to me they are the most complimentary headphones possible while remaining within the ZMF family

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #635 of 3,122
I always wanted a closed ZMF and AC is getting some stellar feedback. Just not sure its will compliment Caldera that well, since I really got used to this ZMF planar sound now

Echoing ‘monsterzero’, these two headphones are very complementary. The Caldera are fast, highly resolving, very well balanced, techncial but with a touch of warmth and weight that make it super enjoyable and tactile (as all ZMF cans tend to be). The AC have a slower decay, analog presentation, and some fun coloration that includes a thick bass and forward upper mids, and are a blast for a euphonic listen. Couple that with the former being open back and the latter being closed back, and they are as good as any pair of headphones can be to sit side by side.

Apr 26, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #636 of 3,122
I do listen to a lot of rock, indie, punk, Tool (whatever that is), etc. If I had to pick a few bands to optimize around (just as examples of the styles), think Strokes, Distillers, Tool, Hole, Thrice, and so on. The Susvara is great, but it doesn't hit hard and I want something really fun, but especially with bands like Tool in particular it's important to remain tight and composed or it all bleeds together.

I think the Susvara is probably still the right headphone for music more aligned to Arcade Fire, Phoebe Bridgers, and the like.
That's probably the majority of the music I listen to, and in my opinion the AC (either wood) is tailor-made for that. How much bass you want will determine which pad you end up using, but it also might vary, depending on which band you're listening to.

If you like your Tool tight, then I'd recommend the suede pads. Take the song 'Lateralus' for instance. When that wall of guitars hits at around 1:13, you're right in the middle of that, it's pretty amazing. Then the intricate drumming starts, and this is where I think the suede pads rule, because you can hear every single beat, bouncing around your head in 3D. And then the bass, guitar, and vocals are layered in, and you can pinpoint every member of the band until the wall of guitars hits you again.

Moving onto something a bit more punk, like Rancid's 'Time Bomb', there's really good separation between all the instruments, and the ska rhythm really comes through and has your head bobbing. And at the same time, it sounds pretty rough and dirty, not smoothed over.

Hole's 'Violet' puts Courtney Love's ragged voice front and center, accompanied by a guitar riff, and then the wall of guitars kick in. Electric guitars sound great on the AC, because they have just the right amount of reverb.

The Strokes' 'Hard To Explain' makes you feel like you're watching them in a dirty, smelly venue (I'm from Chicago so I'm picturing the Lounge Ax), while you're jumping up and down to the rhythm of the staccato guitar line.

And I think the AC also does lo-fi alternative rock really well. If you're listening to Pavement, Sebadoh or Sonic Youth, you want it to sound lo-fi, and the AC allows you to focus on the music, not how badly recorded the music was.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant about the Susvara being more aligned to Arcade Fire and Phoebe Bridgers. I think the AC does a great job bringing out the fun side of female indie music, like Phoebe, Japanese Breakfast and Soccer Mommy. I've found it to be pretty genre-agnostic. Yeah, if I wanted a more 'pure' listening experience, I'd certainly pick up my Caldera instead, and I've found myself alternating between the Caldera and AC, more so depending on my mood than the music genre.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #637 of 3,122
Whenever I'm in a "bassy" mood I always go to my Focal Radiance. If I could get that quality & quantity of bass, but with ZMF house sound, timbre, comfort, build and customer service I'd be in heaven

Reading @erics75 excellent comparison with the Elegia has me intrigued because while I really enjoyed the Elegias, I replaced them with the Radiance mostly because of the bass (both quality and quantity).

I'm going to have to buy a third pair of ZMF's aren't I? I knew this would happen....

Apr 26, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #638 of 3,122
Whenever I'm in a "bassy" mood I always go to my Focal Radiance. If I could get that quality & quantity of bass, but with ZMF house sound, timbre, comfort, build and customer service I'd be in heaven
As a former Focal Radiance owner and current ZMF Eikon (and Verité Closed) owner, I would highly recommend either the Eikon (if you are on a tighter budget) or based on all the reviews, the Atrium Closed. The only variable to consider is your amplification, but as you already own two ZMFs you have that sense already…

The reason for that recommendation is that I have found the Eikon to have superlative sub-bass and bass, without letting it bleed into the midrange. I liked the Radiance plenty, but it can (at least to my ears) let the bass color the midrange at times. Not so with the Eikon, which has a pretty balanced overall range.

Your budget and aesthetic preferences can dictate whether you seek out the now-discontinued Eikon or spend about three times as much for the Atrium Closed (I plan to!), but I would predict you would be very happy with either. I absolutely adore my Eikon, and completely expect to feel at least as strongly about the Atrium Closed, perhaps even more so.

IMG_2430.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #640 of 3,122
Apr 27, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #641 of 3,122

Reading @erics75 excellent comparison with the Elegia has me intrigued because while I really enjoyed the Elegias, I replaced them with the Radiance mostly because of the bass (both quality and quantity).

I'm going to have to buy a third pair of ZMF's aren't I? I knew this would happen....
I sold my Radiace with the intention of getting the VC but AC arrived in Canjam SG. Then the rest is history.

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #642 of 3,122
That's probably the majority of the music I listen to, and in my opinion the AC (either wood) is tailor-made for that. How much bass you want will determine which pad you end up using, but it also might vary, depending on which band you're listening to.

If you like your Tool tight, then I'd recommend the suede pads. Take the song 'Lateralus' for instance. When that wall of guitars hits at around 1:13, you're right in the middle of that, it's pretty amazing. Then the intricate drumming starts, and this is where I think the suede pads rule, because you can hear every single beat, bouncing around your head in 3D. And then the bass, guitar, and vocals are layered in, and you can pinpoint every member of the band until the wall of guitars hits you again.

Moving onto something a bit more punk, like Rancid's 'Time Bomb', there's really good separation between all the instruments, and the ska rhythm really comes through and has your head bobbing. And at the same time, it sounds pretty rough and dirty, not smoothed over.

Hole's 'Violet' puts Courtney Love's ragged voice front and center, accompanied by a guitar riff, and then the wall of guitars kick in. Electric guitars sound great on the AC, because they have just the right amount of reverb.

The Strokes' 'Hard To Explain' makes you feel like you're watching them in a dirty, smelly venue (I'm from Chicago so I'm picturing the Lounge Ax), while you're jumping up and down to the rhythm of the staccato guitar line.

And I think the AC also does lo-fi alternative rock really well. If you're listening to Pavement, Sebadoh or Sonic Youth, you want it to sound lo-fi, and the AC allows you to focus on the music, not how badly recorded the music was.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant about the Susvara being more aligned to Arcade Fire and Phoebe Bridgers. I think the AC does a great job bringing out the fun side of female indie music, like Phoebe, Japanese Breakfast and Soccer Mommy. I've found it to be pretty genre-agnostic. Yeah, if I wanted a more 'pure' listening experience, I'd certainly pick up my Caldera instead, and I've found myself alternating between the Caldera and AC, more so depending on my mood than the music genre.

Awesome reply, thanks! No rec on which wood to get though eh? I'm leaning Olive based on responses so far...

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #643 of 3,122
Took some photo's of the "LTD" optional wood case that's available with the Olive LTD. And a fancy owners card that comes with all the Olive sets.

_DSC9551.jpg_DSC9571.jpg_DSC9574.jpg_DSC9576.jpg_DSC9583.jpg_DSC9587.jpg_DSC9589.jpg_DSC9591.jpg

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 27, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #644 of 3,122
Took some photo's of the "LTD" optional wood case that's available with the Olive LTD. And a fancy owners card that comes with all the Olive sets.

Ooof how I wish my own LTD olive wood from Canjam SG came with those beauties

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #645 of 3,122
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back