ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Feb 23, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #121 of 3,122
The Atticus was my first ZMF. Kinda wish I still had a pair. It was a very enjoyable and fun headphone, and no slouch in its technical capabilities. I'd love to catch one of the various events this year to hang out and put them on my head again.

Look at this thread... coming full circle with ZMF's start in custom headphones while discussing an upcoming closed back. :)

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #122 of 3,122
The Atticus was my first ZMF. Kinda wish I still had a pair. It was a very enjoyable and fun headphone, and no slouch in its technical capabilities. I'd love to catch one of the various events this year to hang out and put them on my head again.

Look at this thread... coming full circle with ZMF's start in custom headphones while discussing an upcoming closed back. :)
Yea, I miss mine as well. Had a really nice Cocobolo set. Had some amazing synergy with a WA2 I also used to own.

Feb 23, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #123 of 3,122
Ohh, that description .. "Atticus [AT∙i∙kuhs] is ZMF's most "fun" headphone with a punchy mid bass, smooth forward mids and present but non-obtrusive treble....warmth is what is most pleasurable, desirable, and lifelike. The Atticus embraces this concept and elevates it with clarity: a vivid midrange, and vigorous bass."

Are the Atticus going to be at CanJam to demo @zach915m ?
Yeah we will have a few of them at the show!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 23, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #124 of 3,122
Feb 23, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #125 of 3,122
Ahh, maybe that has been my issue all along with peoples descriptions of headphones - when I think (and when I say) a headphone is warm, I am speaking of mids, primarily lower mids, from say 300hz-750hz :sweat_smile:
I think that's what's described as Thick? It makes sense looking at the post by @Tchoupitoulas.

Though I'm the same. I just clarify it as "warm in the mids". I've found some ZMFs both warm and bright simultaneously, depending on where the peaks and recessions are.

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #126 of 3,122
Great impressions. So in terms of soundstage, it sounds like AO > Caldera > VC > AC?
Yes broadly
The difference between the caldera in Atrium open is more than just sheer size. It’s also the quality of it. Caldera has a great Sound stage that is rather wide and with exceptional imaging technicalities. Atrium’s approach is based more on creating a holographic soundstage feeling based on low decay From its damping system, making a listening experience quite a difference between these two headphones. Caldera is an engaging with a more of a visceral fast listening with the higher resolution, front and center and a dynamic dynamic . The atrium offer is more on the log experience with this slow decay to let you sink in and see where , the solution of the music has developed.

Feb 24, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #127 of 3,122
Even with the Atticus, which I've had over 3 years now, going through several amps, it's still magical and scales well. Hard to believe it's still $1099 and is an "entry level" ZMF.
My all-time favorite headphone and one that never disappoints (especially with Elrog 300B's in my HA300mk2)! My Atticus get equal love to my VC's and are such a fun and engaging headphone that definitely scale and can hang. The Cayin HA300mk2 and the Atticus have a synergy beyond belief. . .

Long live the Atticus!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #128 of 3,122
Ohh, that description .. "Atticus [AT∙i∙kuhs] is ZMF's most "fun" headphone with a punchy mid bass, smooth forward mids and present but non-obtrusive treble....warmth is what is most pleasurable, desirable, and lifelike. The Atticus embraces this concept and elevates it with clarity: a vivid midrange, and vigorous bass."

Are the Atticus going to be at CanJam to demo @zach915m ?
That's a great discription, and I concur with all said. The "Oldschool" ZMF house sound of the Atticus still works wonders with Acoustic, Folk, and Bluegrass like it was made for it.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #129 of 3,122
Yea, I miss mine as well. Had a really nice Cocobolo set. Had some amazing synergy with a WA2 I also used to own.
Speaking of a Cocobolo Atticus. . .

20221007_091504.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #130 of 3,122
Feb 25, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #132 of 3,122
No love for the Eikon as well. So much so that they’ve been discontinued. I had one of the best sessions I’ve ever had with the Eikon/Piety combo yesterday.

73E9F2BA-991A-4EEA-B0D4-B38DE349B770.jpeg

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #133 of 3,122
No love for the Eikon as well. So much so that they’ve been discontinued. I had one of the best sessions I’ve ever had with the Eikon/Piety combo yesterday.

73E9F2BA-991A-4EEA-B0D4-B38DE349B770.jpeg
Team Eikon! Eikon with suede eikon pads is fantastic. Will the atrium closed replace it in my heart...?

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #134 of 3,122
Team Eikon! Eikon with suede eikon pads is fantastic. Will the atrium closed replace it in my heart...?
I was thinking the same thing. Not sure what to do next but I’ve got my heart set on Caldera or Atrium Closed. I’ll never sell my Eikon or Aeolus though so they won’t be replaced.

Feb 25, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #135 of 3,122
I was thinking the same thing. Not sure what to do next but I’ve got my heart set on Caldera or Atrium Closed. I’ll never sell my Eikon or Aeolus though so they won’t be replaced.
It's tough. I'd be the same way except that the funds to purchase the TOTL gear has to come from somewhere...I do miss some of the things that I've had to share with other head fi members in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back