ZMF Atrium Closed
Nov 28, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #2,401 of 3,180
Could be the Gryphon Burr Brown DAC chip that I'm not liking but the Questyle is MUCH better.
Makes sense. Am new to this hobby this year and am slowly learning all about system synergy and personal preferences and trying to make it all come together to achieve audio nirvana!

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #2,403 of 3,180
Makes sense. Am new to this hobby this year and am slowly learning all about system synergy and personal preferences and trying to make it all come together to achieve audio nirvana!
When I apply XBass it distorts the hell out of the driver. And the Gryphon doesn't grip the way the Questyle or HA-3A do. HA-3A and AC is a match made in heaven. Super punchy and dynamic but still very resolving.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #2,404 of 3,180
have you tried the Auteur suede pads? I was like you and preferred the lamb pads to the suede, but after reading a few impressions of the Auteur suede i bought a pair. They're now my favorite pad of the three. They sit sonically towards the middle of the two stock pads. bassier than the Caldera suede and brighter than the Caldera lamb. Soundstage seems a tad smaller/more intimate than either Caldera pad, but not by much. All in all i've become quite smitten with them. given the b stock pad pricing, i ordered an Auteur solid lamb pad to try for fun. i have a feeling that's going to be bass overload, but who knows.

You know, I don't think I have. I also have been meaning to revisit the Caldera suede and listen to them again as well as test them.

I'm not too treble averse, but I didn't vibe with I tried it. I'll have to try the Auteur suedes. I have a lot of ZMF pads, but I'm not sure if I have those or not. I'll have to check.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #2,405 of 3,180
I don’t prioritize detail retrieval as much as I do timbre, dynamics, and just generally a lifelike rendition. This is one reason why I love Zach’s dynamic drivers (which are no slouch in details, don’t get me wrong.)
Amen to this! ^^^

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #2,408 of 3,180
What you y'all think

I, for one, am a sucker for VU meters. : )

1701216351229.gif

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #2,409 of 3,180
Has anyone had the ear cup pop off the swivel?

PXL_20231129_011936317.jpg

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #2,410 of 3,180
Has anyone had the ear cup pop off the swivel?

PXL_20231129_011936317.jpg
havent had it happen but i have one that i need to adjust the screw on every so often as it'll slowly work itself in over time. ZMF should have some videos on their youtube that address this or similar but I think Zach generally recommends re-applying Vibra-Tite VC3 as a thread locker if you need to reattach any of the chassis bits.

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #2,411 of 3,180
havent had it happen but i have one that i need to adjust the screw on every so often as it'll slowly work itself in over time. ZMF should have some videos on their youtube that address this or similar but I think Zach generally recommends re-applying Vibra-Tite VC3 as a thread locker if you need to reattach any of the chassis bits.

I fixed it! Like you said it had loosened by advancing further into the earcup and away from the actual cup holder. screwed it back on and its fine now it seems

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #2,412 of 3,180
I fixed it! Like you said it had loosened by advancing further into the earcup and away from the actual cup holder. screwed it back on and its fine now it seems
That is a nice thing about ZMFs, most of the little things you can fix up if there are any mishaps. Another spot to keep an eye on is where the height adjustment rods attach to the gimbal; just make sure that when you rotate the cups they're rotating within the headband section and not the gimbals where they screw in. If they come loose there you can have the cup suddenly fall off the rod.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #2,413 of 3,180
That is a nice thing about ZMFs, most of the little things you can fix up if there are any mishaps. Another spot to keep an eye on is where the height adjustment rods attach to the gimbal; just make sure that when you rotate the cups they're rotating within the headband section and not the gimbals where they screw in. If they come loose there you can have the cup suddenly fall off the rod.

ah i see what you mean. i wonder if a washer or nut could have been placed there to prevent that. Still no harm no foul.

Well other than I asked my wife politely if she had been rough with my headphones. That was not well received.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #2,414 of 3,180
Nov 28, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #2,415 of 3,180
A little bit random, but I found this great one-stop page with wood hardness, density, and a small visual of the wood’s color and general grain pattern. Most of the woods ZMF has used so far are on here (only one or two are missing from my research), as well as many others.

https://www.bellforestproducts.com/exotic-wood/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back