ZMF Atrium Closed
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #2,356 of 3,180
The Macassar Caldera was like the biggest CanJam score ever. Hadn't even had the official release. I remember hoping you'd pass on it so I could snag it. Remains one of the best looking Caldera sets I've seen. And you might have outdone them with that AC!
Not I, good sir, but Zach :). All credit to the Maestro.

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #2,357 of 3,180
The Macassar Caldera was like the biggest CanJam score ever. Hadn't even had the official release. I remember hoping you'd pass on it so I could snag it. Remains one of the best looking Caldera sets I've seen. And you might have outdone them with that AC!
They’re gorgeous indeed!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #2,358 of 3,180
Nov 26, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #2,359 of 3,180
Nov 27, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #2,360 of 3,180
All of these sets shown are impressive. Both Ebony, B&W and Macassar, are my favorite woods of all those used by ZMF (maybe Cocobolo too, when it has a complex grain)

I know this is the AC thread, but this Macassar Ebony VC is another beautiful example (not mine, just windows shopping...)

1701080975083.png

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #2,361 of 3,180
All of these sets shown are impressive. Both Ebony, B&W and Macassar, are my favorite woods of all those used by ZMF (maybe Cocobolo too, when it has a complex grain)

I know this is the AC thread, but this Macassar Ebony VC is another beautiful example (not mine, just windows shopping...)

Yeah. I’ve been looking at that one for days. I’m surprised that it’s still up there but with so much available this year most ZMF November buyers have already purchased VC’s from other years or are buying Atriums or Calderas.

I’ve owned two VC’s in the past and want to try the whole lineup so this year it’s AC and Caldera but I know that I’ll definitely want a VC next year so I’ll buy it in 2024.

@goldwerger Black and White Ebony VC is one of the nicest I’ve seen and Zach makes virtually no units in that wood so they’re super rare. If I can get my mitts on one of those at CanJam SoCal that’s my play for 2024.

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #2,362 of 3,180
@goldwerger Black and White Ebony VC is one of the nicest I’ve seen and Zach makes virtually no units in that wood so they’re super rare. If I can get my mitts on one of those at CanJam SoCal that’s my play for 2024.

Nice!

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #2,365 of 3,180
Hello,

I have recently purchased an Atrium Closed and while I am waiting for the shipping notification I wanted to ask if someone has been able to compare its bass with a 1266 TC? I know that they are completely different drivers, but Sajid said in his review that the Atrium Closed can "rival 1266 bass" and I would like to get your take on it

Thank you

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #2,366 of 3,180
Has anyone tried Auteur solid lambskin pads on the AC? I am really loving how the suede sound but in general, across most models, I've liked how lambskin sounds more than suede. I'll be finding out soon enough when the b-stock pads I just ordered show up, but thought I'd ask anyways. I did a quick search but didn't see anything in depth. Mostly about the suede version.

Funny real life moment. Was just about to hit the post reply button while listening to the AC at work (I'm working, really boss!!!!) when Rockwell's Somebody's Watching Me (Single Version) came on. The opening bass hits made me recoil and fling my mouse forward, they hit so hard! It really surprised me how explosive and dynamic those hits were. Those new drivers in the AO and AC are something special, IMO. I just adore how natural and powerful they sound. So glad no one was looking when I recoiled hahaha.

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #2,367 of 3,180
Hello,

I have recently purchased an Atrium Closed and while I am waiting for the shipping notification I wanted to ask if someone has been able to compare its bass with a 1266 TC? I know that they are completely different drivers, but Sajid said in his review that the Atrium Closed can "rival 1266 bass" and I would like to get your take on it

Thank you
Only you will be able to judge if you have both. We are talking about a vastly different price though. The AC excels in SubBass for sure but it's probably not the slammiest HP.

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #2,368 of 3,180
Only you will be able to judge if you have both. We are talking about a vastly different price though. The AC excels in SubBass for sure but it's probably not the slammiest HP.
Sure thank you! I understand the price difference and also different philosophies/technologies behind them. I was just curious if anyone had some impressions to share:) The main reason I bought them was to get a different flavour.

Nov 27, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #2,370 of 3,180
I'm curious how other people feel about the treble response on the softer vs harder woods. My first AC was a redwood burl, very soft wood. I found the treble a bit tame. Impulse purchased a purple ash, and am finding it to have slightly more upper mids/lower treble. But it's so hard to be certain, I am doubting if i'm actually hearing a difference or if it's just expectation bias. Anyone else notice a similar situation where the harder wood AC has more presence up top than the softer wood brethren? I have both units sporting the Caldera thin lambskin pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back