ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jul 30, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #5,776 of 6,740
How does the Aeolus compare to these headphones? These are what I own currently, but I'm looking for something warm and non-fatiguing.

1. Focal Elex
2. Fostex THX-00
3. Sennheiser HD800S

At the moment I prefer the HD800 for classical music and acapella. Especially acapella because I find the voices tend to get smushed together with other headphones but not the HD800s. Jazz vocals too, but it can get a bit fatiguing after a while.

Focal Elex is great for pop, but I also find it fatiguing after an hour. It's very in-your-face and even more fatiguing than the HD800S.

The Fostex was my first expensive headphone. I don't use it much anymore after buying the Elex and HD800S. Great sub-bass but Ioses out on clarity to the Focal.

I listen to classical, soundtracks, pop, light rock, jazz vocals and acapella. Is the Aeolus a good choice for me?

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #5,777 of 6,740
How does the Aeolus compare to these headphones? These are what I own currently, but I'm looking for something warm and non-fatiguing.

1. Focal Elex
2. Fostex THX-00
3. Sennheiser HD800S

At the moment I prefer the HD800 for classical music and acapella. Especially acapella because I find the voices tend to get smushed together with other headphones but not the HD800s. Jazz vocals too, but it can get a bit fatiguing after a while.

Focal Elex is great for pop, but I also find it fatiguing after an hour. It's very in-your-face and even more fatiguing than the HD800S.

The Fostex was my first expensive headphone. I don't use it much anymore after buying the Elex and HD800S. Great sub-bass but Ioses out on clarity to the Focal.

I listen to classical, soundtracks, pop, light rock, jazz vocals and acapella. Is the Aeolus a good choice for me?
Well in simple terms, yes. I found Aeolus to be great with any genre of music. Very easy going, can listen for hours. They have a certain quality to the way they present music. Warm tuning. They are energetic and laid back at the same time. Hard to describe. I think I said few few pages back, they are like a Pineapple. Sweet, juicy and with a tingling bite on the tounge after. They do not excell at anything but they don't make you feel like you are missing things either.

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #5,778 of 6,740

1. Focal Elex
2. Fostex THX-00
3. Sennheiser HD800S

Personally i have owned the TH-X00, and currently own the HD800s. i have not tried the elex, but i have tried the Clear OG, MG and Elegia.

I do get what you mean, the HD800s has great clarity and detail, but isn't as enjoyable as the V-shaped TH-X00. I used to be stuck between the HD800s and TH-X00, since i wanted something with the clarity of the HD800s, while retaining that more enjoyable from the TH-X00 that stems from the biodyna bass.

And then i found the Aeolus. It's a great mix of both headphones. Of course the soundstage isn't as wide as the HD800s, but i would argue its more realistic. It takes the neutrality of the HD800s, and injects a bit of flavor. Changing the pads can make a decent sonic difference, but for your genres i would stick to the Perforated Suede.

To me, the Aeolus is a great compliment to the HD800s. Slightly darker (due to the more pronounced mid-bass), but still has great detail. If the HD800s is the studious brother who does everything by the book, the Aeolus breaks that mold and makes everything fun.

Then again, just like any audio purchase, i reccomend going down to a store to try them out and hear them for yourself.

Jul 30, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #5,779 of 6,740
Completely agree with the previous comments. I've owned each X00, the emu teak, elex, clear, 800S, and currently have an OG 800 with SDR mod. With classical, the 800 is very, very tough to beat, especially with a good tube amp.
I'd add to the comments above that out of all the headphones you listed, the focal lineup are the least able to listen in the background. For example, I can listen to the aeolus causally, or at work with lower volume. With the elex or the clear, there is more demand that I focus on the music. It's not a bad thing, but I would have to choose the times I listened to the clear.

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #5,780 of 6,740
Completely agree with the previous comments. I've owned each X00, the emu teak, elex, clear, 800S, and currently have an OG 800 with SDR mod. With classical, the 800 is very, very tough to beat, especially with a good tube amp.
I'd add to the comments above that out of all the headphones you listed, the focal lineup are the least able to listen in the background. For example, I can listen to the aeolus causally, or at work with lower volume. With the elex or the clear, there is more demand that I focus on the music. It's not a bad thing, but I would have to choose the times I listened to the clear.
yep, also comes down to what @redryder wants from the Aeolus.

p.s i would keep the TH-X00 as a closed back option. Amazing sound for the price. A Lawton mod, internal cup dampening, and detachable cable mods and you basically have a TH900.

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #5,781 of 6,740
yep, also comes down to what @redryder wants from the Aeolus.

p.s i would keep the TH-X00 as a closed back option. Amazing sound for the price. A Lawton mod, internal cup dampening, and detachable cable mods and you basically have a TH900.
I’ve tried the Lawton mod before, but I prefer the stock sound. The Lawton mod made the treble harsh sounding.

Jul 30, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #5,782 of 6,740
I’ve tried the Lawton mod before, but I prefer the stock sound. The Lawton mod made the treble harsh sounding.
I did the lawton mod on a pair of emu teak, but ended up removing the cup damping as I preferred the stock sound as well. I could see the benefit of the mod for sure in the balance of the sound and the more even bass, but I liked the stock lush tone.

Jul 31, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #5,783 of 6,740
I feel like I should have read this thread before I bought my Aeolus. I may have reached too high too soon. They were only my second pair (after getting my ears wet with Sundaras to see if this headphone thing would stick). I have a feeling I’m going to spend a lot of money trying different headphones and never feel as much at home as I do while wearing the Aeolus. Maybe Auteur or Atrium have a chance eventually, but I’ve got an LCD-X on the way and I’m sure they’ll be others. How can you fully appreciate what you have if you never compare?09E431D3-A4DC-4655-B030-516A1D763310.jpeg

Beautiful wood.

Separately, nice MHDT Orchid hiding under that shelf. Most excellent DAC :sunglasses:

Just my $0.02 --> stick the Bluesound underneath and put the Orchid up top!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aug 1, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #5,784 of 6,740
How is the bass and sub-bass response on Aeolus compared t a pair of Audeze-X 2020 edition?

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #5,785 of 6,740
Aeolus has more quantity and impact. LCDX tends to reach lower and has a little more detail.

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #5,788 of 6,740
I don't have the Noir but I do have the RT. In my experience with the switch to the Aeolus you find more dynamics, a softer/warmer sound and to me just generally a better experience. I can't speak to the VC but I suspect it'll be closer to the Noir in detail retrieval with added warmth and dynamics.

Aug 4, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #5,789 of 6,740
I don't have the Noir but I do have the RT. In my experience with the switch to the Aeolus you find more dynamics, a softer/warmer sound and to me just generally a better experience. I can't speak to the VC but I suspect it'll be closer to the Noir in detail retrieval with added warmth and dynamics.
I similarly had an Aeon Closed X and while FR and detail were good, it lacked engagement / macro dynamics for me. The Aeolus is definitely more lively. As for VC vs. Aeon Closed X, more detail retrieval, FR not quite as neutral with warmer mids, greater macro dynamics, and with Be-coated drivers not quite planar speed but fast for a dynamic and certainly faster leading edge and decay etc. than the Aeolus.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #5,790 of 6,740
Has anyone come from The Aeon 2 Noir, I am contemplating the jump to the Aeolus or the VC. Love the noire but can be a touch treble bright, also needs a bit of volume to really come alive.

I used to owned Aeolus, and now I admire what Aeon 2 Open able to do, definitely a strong technical performer with still balance and natural sound presentation.

Noire is a bit cold and sterile sounding to me, even with thick damping at front. Aeon 2 Open, even without any damping seems more organic and natural to my ears (also definitely smoother and project more accurate imaging).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back