ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #5,806 of 6,734
According to what you are looking for in sound by your posts above I immediately thought that the Autuer or the new Autuer Classic would be what you are looking for. I have the Sundara and DT1990 and they are both a step down to the Autuer and Aeolus for my personal tastes. The DT1990 can be made to sound quite well with Dekoni Elite velour pads and a good OTL tube amplifier but it is still not any where close to the Aeolus and Autuer in terms of musicality.

I definitely want to get an Auteur. I don't know how different the new "Classic" is in terms of sound compared to the original. If I can keep myself from buying cheaper priced options such as Sundara then I'd sell my Aeolus to help fund an Auteur. The gear I have is in my signature here.

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #5,807 of 6,734
According to what you are looking for in sound by your posts above I immediately thought that the Autuer or the new Autuer Classic would be what you are looking for. I have the Sundara and DT1990 and they are both a step down to the Autuer and Aeolus for my personal tastes. The DT1990 can be made to sound quite well with Dekoni Elite velour pads and a good OTL tube amplifier but it is still not any where close to the Aeolus and Autuer in terms of musicality.
Well the only ZMF I've had is Aeolus. I really want an Auteur. Others like the Verite or Atrium are way out of my ability to afford.
I have the VO and the Aeolus. In my experience with them, Aeolus is a better all-arounder. No matter what pads or source I use, it always sound nice. The veritie can achieve a better technical performance, but find it kind of finicky. To my ears it can perform better than the Aeolus, ONLY if you find the right pads and source to make it shine.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #5,808 of 6,734
I definitely want to get an Auteur. I don't know how different the new "Classic" is in terms of sound compared to the original. If I can keep myself from buying cheaper priced options such as Sundara then I'd sell my Aeolus to help fund an Auteur. The gear I have is in my signature here.
I also though about the difference between the Auteur OG and the classic. and how the classic compares to the Atriums.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #5,810 of 6,734
I'm using the perforated suede right now. But I also have a lambskin perforated but they seem very worn out. I'm the second owner of my Aeolus. But in my experience with both the perf suede are much warmer sounding than the lambskin perforated. I actually do not know which version of lambskin perforated I have. I do really like my Aeolus but I do find they can sound too warm. I think over time I've wanted to shift towards a more neutral but not bright sound. I've been looking at other headphones such as DT1990 or Sundara or other Hifiman options to try out.
Another option you might consider trying is a different headphone cable. One made with pure silver or silver plated copper generally will give you a more neutral signature with more extended highs over a pure copper cable. There are lots of great aftermarket headphone cables out there. I've personally had great luck with the mid to upper end ZMF cables, LQI, and Heart Audio cables. Many others here have great things to say about Forza cables. I personally run my Aeolus with either an LQI Esprit or ZMF Lecktrik S headphone cable. Both have more extended highs over the stock or upgrade OFC cables yet are not harsh or edgy.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #5,811 of 6,734
i have tried the Atrium and Aeolus side-by-side, and i did prefer the Atrium. If you love mids (as much as the next person), you'll love the Atrium.

Then again, i don't think i can justify paying almost double (after conversion rates) for that. The biggest thing that keeps me on the Aeolus is the slightly accentuated mid-bass. Its not as heavy as the TH-900 or the Atticus, Eikon, but not too thin that it ends up being similar to the HD800s/ sucks the life out of lower male vocals.

I know @jinxy245 is selling his/her Aeolus for a Atriumm, maybe he/she can enlighten you a little more than me...
I am selling my Aeolus yes, but that's more because the Atrium ticks all the boxes for me. I did a bit of a comparison ( https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-atrium-new-open-back-co-flagship.962609/post-16884231 ) if you want to check it out. Best of luck

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #5,812 of 6,734
Another option you might consider trying is a different headphone cable. One made with pure silver or silver plated copper generally will give you a more neutral signature with more extended highs over a pure copper cable. There are lots of great aftermarket headphone cables out there. I've personally had great luck with the mid to upper end ZMF cables, LQI, and Heart Audio cables. Many others here have great things to say about Forza cables. I personally run my Aeolus with either an LQI Esprit or ZMF Lecktrik S headphone cable. Both have more extended highs
I am selling my Aeolus yes, but that's more because the Atrium ticks all the boxes for me. I did a bit of a comparison ( https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-atrium-new-open-back-co-flagship.962609/post-16884231 ) if you want to check it out. Best of luck
Nice Review!

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #5,813 of 6,734
Hi @Mattyjm

What pads were you using in your comparison of the Aeolus vs Atrium?
to be very honest, im not too sure as well (since i demo-ed them at a local shop). i think the Aeolus had Uni Suede, and Atrium the Uni Lambskin. Not sure whether it was Uni Lambskin or Auteur Lambskin

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #5,814 of 6,734
Another option you might consider trying is a different headphone cable. One made with pure silver or silver plated copper generally will give you a more neutral signature with more extended highs over a pure copper cable. There are lots of great aftermarket headphone cables out there. I've personally had great luck with the mid to upper end ZMF cables, LQI, and Heart Audio cables. Many others here have great things to say about Forza cables. I personally run my Aeolus with either an LQI Esprit or ZMF Lecktrik S headphone cable. Both have more extended highs over the stock or upgrade OFC cables yet are not harsh or edgy.

I don't really believe in all the cable "snake oil" associated with this hobby. Nonetheless I know there are both good and bad quality cables out there. Right now my headphone cables are from Audiophile Ninja. I've also used Hart Audio and Periapt in the past. I found that all three brands have microphonic issues with their cables above the Y-split leading into the ear cups. I don't have that issue with the stock cables of either my Hd6XX or Aeolus.

Nice review of the Atrium. Unfortunately for now it's far outside my ability to afford. I'm keeping my eyes open for a used Auteur under $2,000 Canadian.

Aug 14, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #5,815 of 6,734
I don't really believe in all the cable "snake oil" associated with this hobby. Nonetheless I know there are both good and bad quality cables out there. Right now my headphone cables are from Audiophile Ninja. I've also used Hart Audio and Periapt in the past. I found that all three brands have microphonic issues with their cables above the Y-split leading into the ear cups. I don't have that issue with the stock cables of either my Hd6XX or Aeolus.

Nice review of the Atrium. Unfortunately for now it's far outside my ability to afford. I'm keeping my eyes open for a used Auteur under $2,000 Canadian.
Thanks for the compliment ( @Mau10 as well). I was only linking it since I had comparison to the Aeolus, I thought that might be helpful. The Auteur is an awesome headphone as well....a bit too much energy in the upper mid/lower treble region for my tastes, but an incredible listen nonetheless (I'm dying to hear the new Auteur Classic). Keep your eyes on the classifieds, I think you're in the right ballpark.

Again, good luck!

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #5,816 of 6,734
Hello,
the Auteur is definitely a good touch brighter than the Aeolus.
The Og Auteur will seem a bit thin in the bass when you listen to it for the first time.
Also, the treble range of the Auteur will be more pronounced compared to the Aeolus.
I had the impression that the trebles of the Aeolus are a bit rolled off.
For my taste they could have been a bit deeper.

In the midrange they are almost similar, but the Aeolus is more intimate than the Auteur in this respect.
The Auteur is more open and less in your face.
The typical Zmf timbre has remained.
Auteur seems a little more relaxed when listening due to its brightness and is less tiring with time.
(When new, the Auteur can be listener fatiguing).
I found the Aeolus to be quite dark compared to the Auteur.
It took me some time to get used to both.

The Aeolus I had only on loan, towards the end of the return I must say I liked it better and better. It was not all bad, on tube amplifiers you have good possibilities to adjust it.
I had some problems with the suede pads at the beginning,they weren't my thing,so I got some leather ones that were better.
By having the Aeolus I could hear both strengths of the headphones.
The Auteur was better for me in all areas except for the bass, where I would have liked to have a bit more bass.
But over time I realised that it was actually sufficient and suited its tuning.
The Auteur was new when I got it.
It needs at least 200 hours to get there, better a bit more.
It will probably be similar with the Classik.
At the beginning it seems quite slim and then it gets better and better with time.

The Aeolus listeners who are thinking about the Auteur should better go to the classic than to the Og, I think, so that the adjustment is not too hard.
And the bass intensity of the Aeolus is not too thin.
The bass of the Classik is supposed to have been raised a little compared to the OG.
This should play into the hands of Aeolus listeners.
Because with the Aeolus you are very spoiled by the bass.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #5,817 of 6,734
Well the only ZMF I've had is Aeolus. I really want an Auteur. Others like the Verite or Atrium are way out of my ability to afford.

Just a reminder to not overlook your amplification in this equation. By way of example, with my Violectric I can drive the Aeolus into sounding "less" warm and more forward. On my Woo Audio gear, if I pick the wrong tube pairing, then it's molasses city, however with a carefully chosen 12AT7 I can drive into a more neutral / forward position and the Aeolus (again) sounds absolutely fantastic :notes:

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #5,818 of 6,734
Just a reminder to not overlook your amplification in this equation. By way of example, with my Violectric I can drive the Aeolus into sounding "less" warm and more forward. On my Woo Audio gear, if I pick the wrong tube pairing, then it's molasses city, however with a carefully chosen 12AT7 I can drive into a more neutral / forward position and the Aeolus (again) sounds absolutely fantastic :notes:
Great points. Synergy is always key.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #5,819 of 6,734
@Deleeh Well I'm not a bass head so perhaps a "thinner" sounding bass would not be such a bad thing.

Yeah true. Some have said the Bifrost 2 and Jot 2 tend to lean on the warmer side. Perhaps I need a more "neutral" sounding DAC and/or Amp.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #5,820 of 6,734

IMHO --> These cables are mostly fun design/colors to play with. A reasonably priced entry point to mid-fi cables is AudioEnvy out of Colorado. The owner's name is Captain (like a boat). Very knowledgeable with years of R&D involved. https://audioenvy.com/store/

I use his gear throughout my chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back