ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 9, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #5,791 of 6,741
So, I've had my Aeolus for about two weeks now, and it's been getting a lot of head time since my Auteur is in the shop to become a 'classic.' I recently received a pair of suede universe pads from another head fier and have been listening to them for the last two days. I prefer suede pads on the Auteur, Atticus, and Eikon.

I think this is my first ZMF headphone where I prefer the lambskin pads. I don't know if I can say objectively that the sound is better than the suedes...there is just a hypnotic sound that I enjoy. It's also a nice complement to the auteurs; I feel that the suede universe and auteurs with eikon suede pads are closer than when I use the universe lambskin.

Time for more listening.

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #5,792 of 6,741
So, I've had my Aeolus for about two weeks now, and it's been getting a lot of head time since my Auteur is in the shop to become a 'classic.' I recently received a pair of suede universe pads from another head fier and have been listening to them for the last two days. I prefer suede pads on the Auteur, Atticus, and Eikon.

I think this is my first ZMF headphone where I prefer the lambskin pads. I don't know if I can say objectively that the sound is better than the suedes...there is just a hypnotic sound that I enjoy. It's also a nice complement to the auteurs; I feel that the suede universe and auteurs with eikon suede pads are closer than when I use the universe lambskin.

Time for more listening.
I have a similar experience - I like the suede pads for my Atticus and the original lambskin pads for my Aeolus. Please share your impressions when your Auteur returns as a 'classic' model!

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #5,793 of 6,741
An interesting experience in mesh rolling with the Aeolus here. I was using the new stock radial mesh for a while, but the treble on the perforated titan mesh started to get to me. So much so that I considered selling the headphone.

Just before it got to that point though, I switched back to the original bopp mesh that came with the headphones, and I immediately enjoyed them again. I really think the radial mesh adds too much "tizz" and air to the sound, with both Universe Lambskin and Universe Suede pads. It makes me wonder if newer Aeolus's that come stock with the radial mesh are compensated to the same original Aeolus target, or if they have this added air quality as well. I know they measure almost the same, but there's really a perceivable difference to my ears.

I eventually got tired of the "crinkle" sound and occasional catching of the bopp mesh, and put in the solid titan mesh used on the Auteur I had ordered as suggested by ZMF support. To my ears, this actually comes closest to the sound of the original Aeolus, without the fuss of the bop mesh. The sound is just slightly more closed in, in a way I can't quite explain, but I think I'll stick with these for convenience and the way they tame the treble.

All this makes me curious if others have had the same experience. I'm just happy to be enjoying these amazing headphones again!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #5,794 of 6,741
I had switched the mesh in my Aeolus awhile back but I didn't notice any change in sound to my ears. Still thinking of changing the pads but not sure which to get.

Aug 14, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #5,795 of 6,741
I had switched the mesh in my Aeolus awhile back but I didn't notice any change in sound to my ears. Still thinking of changing the pads but not sure which to get.
iirc the mesh doesn't change the sound much, its just upgraded since the old mesh tended to hook onto the pad with its sharp edges.

Pad-wise, there is really only a few options: Uni Lambskin (stock), Uni suede, and Verite Lambskin. I can't recall if the BE2 lambskin sounded similar to the verite.
1660451577194.png

Swapping from a uni lambskin to uni suede makes it more neutral, with lesser bass and more treble. Uni lambskin leans quite warm.
Going to verite pads will make it sound even more neutral. Personally the Verite pads were too thin for me, i could feel my ears touching the driver, but YMMV.

(This is a disclaimer that this info was from numerous demos + info from this thread.)

Aug 14, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #5,796 of 6,741
iirc the mesh doesn't change the sound much, its just upgraded since the old mesh tended to hook onto the pad with its sharp edges.

Pad-wise, there is really only a few options: Uni Lambskin (stock), Uni suede, and Verite Lambskin. I can't recall if the BE2 lambskin sounded similar to the verite.
1660451577194.png

Swapping from a uni lambskin to uni suede makes it more neutral, with lesser bass and more treble. Uni lambskin leans quite warm.
Going to verite pads will make it sound even more neutral. Personally the Verite pads were too thin for me, i could feel my ears touching the driver, but YMMV.

(This is a disclaimer that this info was from numerous demos + info from this thread.)
I'm using the perforated suede right now. But I also have a lambskin perforated but they seem very worn out. I'm the second owner of my Aeolus. But in my experience with both the perf suede are much warmer sounding than the lambskin perforated. I actually do not know which version of lambskin perforated I have. I do really like my Aeolus but I do find they can sound too warm. I think over time I've wanted to shift towards a more neutral but not bright sound. I've been looking at other headphones such as DT1990 or Sundara or other Hifiman options to try out.

Aug 14, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #5,797 of 6,741
I do really like my Aeolus but I do find they can sound too warm.
Aeolus is quite warm in the first place; if you want it to sound less warm, maybe a verite pad might help with that

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #5,798 of 6,741
Aeolus is quite warm in the first place; if you want it to sound less warm, maybe a verite pad might help with that

Hmm okay. According to the chart above the Verite pads would be the most "bright" of all the pad options. I may check out the suede BE2 pads. Leather type pads can get pretty sweaty in the summer months. At least for me.

Aug 14, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #5,799 of 6,741
Hmm okay. According to the chart above the Verite pads would be the most "bright" of all the pad options. I may check out the suede BE2 pads. Leather type pads can get pretty sweaty in the summer months. At least for me.
Personally I really enjoy the suede BE2 pads on them, and feel like it sort of turns them into a Verite lite. I still overall prefer the warmer Universe suede, but the BE2 are a nice way to change it up, by creating a perception of a bit more detail and more treble.

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #5,800 of 6,741
Personally I really enjoy the suede BE2 pads on them, and feel like it sort of turns them into a Verite lite. I still overall prefer the warmer Universe suede, but the BE2 are a nice way to change it up, by creating a perception of a bit more detail and more treble.
:xf_eek:
aeolus the hidden gem of the whole ZMF line?

Aug 14, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #5,801 of 6,741
Aug 14, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #5,802 of 6,741

Well the only ZMF I've had is Aeolus. I really want an Auteur. Others like the Verite or Atrium are way out of my ability to afford.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #5,803 of 6,741
Well the only ZMF I've had is Aeolus. I really want an Auteur. Others like the Verite or Atrium are way out of my ability to afford.
i have tried the Atrium and Aeolus side-by-side, and i did prefer the Atrium. If you love mids (as much as the next person), you'll love the Atrium.

Then again, i don't think i can justify paying almost double (after conversion rates) for that. The biggest thing that keeps me on the Aeolus is the slightly accentuated mid-bass. Its not as heavy as the TH-900 or the Atticus, Eikon, but not too thin that it ends up being similar to the HD800s/ sucks the life out of lower male vocals.

I know @jinxy245 is selling his/her Aeolus for a Atriumm, maybe he/she can enlighten you a little more than me...

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #5,804 of 6,741
i have tried the Atrium and Aeolus side-by-side, and i did prefer the Atrium. If you love mids (as much as the next person), you'll love the Atrium.

Then again, i don't think i can justify paying almost double (after conversion rates) for that. The biggest thing that keeps me on the Aeolus is the slightly accentuated mid-bass. Its not as heavy as the TH-900 or the Atticus, Eikon, but not too thin that it ends up being similar to the HD800s/ sucks the life out of lower male vocals.

I know @jinxy245 is selling his/her Aeolus for a Atriumm, maybe he/she can enlighten you a little more than me...
Hi @Mattyjm

What pads were you using in your comparison of the Aeolus vs Atrium?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #5,805 of 6,741
According to what you are looking for in sound by your posts above I immediately thought that the Autuer or the new Autuer Classic would be what you are looking for. I have the Sundara and DT1990 and they are both a step down to the Autuer and Aeolus for my personal tastes. The DT1990 can be made to sound quite well with Dekoni Elite velour pads and a good OTL tube amplifier but it is still not any where close to the Aeolus and Autuer in terms of musicality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back