ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 15, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #3,556 of 6,751
Wenge Wood Salire is in the house and man what a gorgeous piece of wood! I knew it was going to look amazing in person, but it's beauty has far exceeded my expectations. I absolutely love the grain pattern and overall colors, and it makes the headphones pop just like I wanted it to. The design is fantastic and really clever. It goes so well with the headphones, and is so cool looking that I can't stop looking at it. I love it!

Check out this beauty!

20210115_152910.jpg
20210115_155243.jpg

My Happy Place :o2smile:

20210115_153207.jpg

A big thanks to ZMF, for such an amazing looking and functioning headphone stand!

Sweet! I spot an Aeolus, an Atticus (or is it an Eikon) and an Ori, but what's the headphone on the top left?

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #3,559 of 6,751
Sweet! I spot an Aeolus, an Atticus (or is it an Eikon) and an Ori, but what's the headphone on the top left?
Thanks! Atticus and Aelous. @AudioPowerHead is correct. The Alpha Prime actually just got sold this morning, so just the Ori left for a planar and I wouldn't have it any other way. :smile:

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #3,560 of 6,751
@Wes S I'm almost afraid to ask, but what headphone cable do you have plugged in to the LP?
LOL! Norne Audio Draug 3s, is the cable on both headphones, just different colors. I love that cable, mostly for looks and ergonomics. The way the braiding is done makes the cable completely limp and microphonic free. I won't get into the sonics, but I have tried a few different cables including a Norne S3 and some other high end ones and I prefer this cable, for my sound preferences.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #3,563 of 6,751
People who drive up in a Prius and yuppy clothes, knock over a few Harley Davidsons, proclaim loudly they have opinions and expertise too, demand instant respect, all without so much as an introduction, then cry, bitch and moan about how the a$$ beating they received was uncalled for... I mean, I just don't know what else they were expecting would happen. There are ways to fit in there. When in Rome...

(loud wail of mixed-metaphor sirens)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #3,564 of 6,751
LOL! Norne Audio Draug 3s, is the cable on both headphones, just different colors. I love that cable, mostly for looks and ergonomics. The way the braiding is done makes the cable completely limp and microphonic free. I won't get into the sonics, but I have tried a few different cables including a Norne S3 and some other high end ones and I prefer this cable, for my sound preferences.

I was OK for awhile, didn't think about new headphone cables. Until this post...the beast is stirring again!

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #3,565 of 6,751
@Wes S: is the Ori that much better than Alpha Prime or they are kind of duplicate so you let go the Alpha Prime?
Thanks
The Ori is in another league and blows the Alpha Prime out of the water. The Ori is an incredible headphone, I will never part with. Compared to the Ori, the A. Prime always sounded a bit thin and off, and I could never really jive with it. Everything is better on the Ori (bass, mids, treble and soundstage), with a more full, impactful and organic/lifelike tone. The Ori is my all time favorite headphone, and when driven properly is as fun as it gets.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #3,567 of 6,751
I haven't posted here in a while, primarily because the VC that arrived in mid-November has been dominating my listening and I've been neglecting the Aeolus. However, I just recently finished a Crack build and I don't find that amp to be the best match for the VC (at least not in stock form without the Speedball). My plan was to listen to the Crack in stock form for a while before doing the Speedball, and since the VC wasn't ideal, that meant the Aeolus was back in action.

I'm shocked at how much fun I've had the last few days with the Aeolus and the stock Crack. I know, I'm late to this party, many of you already knew these went well together, but I was seriously getting nervous for the Aeolus given how the VC had taken over. It's great to get re-energized about the Aeolus. They are just a fantastic tonal match for the Crack.

Relevant details are that I'm using the Hugo 2 as the DAC and I replaced the stock tubes that came with the amp, but still, I'm impressed that this combo has been able to dislodge the VC from my head.

TLDR (even though this was a relatively short post), the Aeolus with the Crack is awesome!!!

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #3,569 of 6,751
Hi all,

has anyone listened the Aeolus with the Burson Soloist 3XP ? Is it a good match in your opinion ?

Which other amps (no tube) do you recommend in that price range?
I use the Wells Audio Milo with my Aeolus and they sound terrific together.Cant say I have compared the Milo to other amps with Aeolus so all I have is a very small sample size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back