ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 9, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #3,496 of 6,751
Well, I had no plans of buy anything today. . .but with a gentle nudge from a couple of ZMF buddies, and a casual browse of the ZMF website, I now have a Wenge Wood Salire on the way. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #3,498 of 6,751
I have a Wenge salire. You will love it!
Nice! Wenge looks amazing in pics and knowing how hard it is to work with, and unique looking it is, I am super excited to see that wood in person. I think the darker color of the Wenge, will contrast with my Cocobolo Atticus and Sapele Aelous, and really make them pop.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #3,499 of 6,751
Question about the Salire. Looks great, I have to admit. And that nifty way to store the cable, great.

But just before clicking buy, why would I use that and not my ROOMs? It does seem like the Salire would put all the weight of the headphone on a 2 cm spot of the headband, without a doubt sitting there 20 hours a day it would leave a mark on the headband. Whereas the ROOMs provides a nice support for the length of the headband.

What do you guys think about this? Is it aesthetics over practicality?

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #3,500 of 6,751
Maybe you want to wait for a nice new limited wood run on the Aeolus.
A harder wood like my cocobolo changes the sounds quite alot to a more direct sound with less reverb.
Stock wood is a very relaxed sound. No listening fatigue at all.

Zach matches the finish of the wood cups to your chosen grills and rods. For example mine is darker than other cocobolo sets i saw for a nice contrast to the steel grills and cable :)
He will not dissappoint you.

Wow, I love the look of your cans @Renexx! Awesome! The contrast between the darker wood and steel is beautiful!

I'm looking to order an Aelous soon (to get my 1st zmf), but want a LTD so I can customize the grill and rod colors. Looks like the LTD Aeolus Stabilized is sold out.

@zach915m When do you expect to have a new LTD Aeolus wood available for order? Any hints on the wood type?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #3,501 of 6,751
Question about the Salire. Looks great, I have to admit. And that nifty way to store the cable, great.

But just before clicking buy, why would I use that and not my ROOMs? It does seem like the Salire would put all the weight of the headphone on a 2 cm spot of the headband, without a doubt sitting there 20 hours a day it would leave a mark on the headband. Whereas the ROOMs provides a nice support for the length of the headband.

What do you guys think about this? Is it aesthetics over practicality?
Not familiar with the ROOMs (Quick Google...looks really nice!) but I think the appeal is either matching the wood, or continuing with the "wood theme" if you will. If you already have a ROOMs, or any other stand you're hapy with, I'd say don't fix what isn't broken.

As to your 2nd point, since @zach915m engineered it, I doubt there'd be any long lasting ill effects, but I'd defer to Zach himself if he chimes in. It is a relatively new product, but I haven't heard any feedback alluding to the problem you're pointing out.

I have heard that you shouldn't store headphones in a way that creates any compression on the pads either, so I imagine there's that to consider as well, though I haven't had any problems thus far with my Salire (again for a very short period of time)

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #3,502 of 6,751
I just got a new (to me) Liquid Platinum. My Aeolus pairs incredibly well with it. I have generally a hard time falling into love with sound immediately. New headphones (including Aeolus, HD650) grow on me and I end up taking my time with purchases. The LP with the Aeolus was just incredible. The bass was beautiful and over my Liquid Carbon X, the sound stage felt so much wider and full. Absolutely love this combo now.

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #3,503 of 6,751
Not familiar with the ROOMs (Quick Google...looks really nice!) but I think the appeal is either matching the wood, or continuing with the "wood theme" if you will. If you already have a ROOMs, or any other stand you're hapy with, I'd say don't fix what isn't broken.

As to your 2nd point, since @zach915m engineered it, I doubt there'd be any long lasting ill effects, but I'd defer to Zach himself if he chimes in. It is a relatively new product, but I haven't heard any feedback alluding to the problem you're pointing out.

I have heard that you shouldn't store headphones in a way that creates any compression on the pads either, so I imagine there's that to consider as well, though I haven't had any problems thus far with my Salire (again for a very short period of time)

Yes, they are well known (ROOMs), maybe just in Europe? (www.thomann.de/lu/search_dir.html?sw=rooms&smcs=f6e804_1465)

Here is a photo of how the Aeolus sits on it. I was about to order the Salire because it looks so nice, but then I thought... how is that an improvement over this? That's why I thought I would ask here, because I do know most ZMF owners really take care their headphones and would have considered this.

20210109_201630.jpg

Jan 9, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #3,505 of 6,751
I just got a new (to me) Liquid Platinum. My Aeolus pairs incredibly well with it. I have generally a hard time falling into love with sound immediately. New headphones (including Aeolus, HD650) grow on me and I end up taking my time with purchases. The LP with the Aeolus was just incredible. The bass was beautiful and over my Liquid Carbon X, the sound stage felt so much wider and full. Absolutely love this combo now.
My favorite combo, and congrats!

Jan 9, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #3,506 of 6,751
That stand looks great too.

I don't think the Salire really puts stress on the strap, the metal band behind it is close enough that the band holds the weight, not the strap.
The way I have my headbands bent, they should sit perfectly on the Salire. The ROOMs does look awesome as well, but I would have the same issue I am having with the Audioquest Perch, as my headbands don't have a round curve to them, they are more upside-down V shaped. The Salire is a marvel of a design no doubt, and I can't wait to see both headphones on it!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #3,507 of 6,751
Yes, they are well known (ROOMs), maybe just in Europe? (www.thomann.de/lu/search_dir.html?sw=rooms&smcs=f6e804_1465)

Here is a photo of how the Aeolus sits on it. I was about to order the Salire because it looks so nice, but then I thought... how is that an improvement over this? That's why I thought I would ask here, because I do know most ZMF owners really take care their headphones and would have considered this.

20210109_201630.jpg
Yeah that's a handsome stand...like I said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it IMO. Again, I don't think there should be any long term problems with the Salire, but that's a damn nice stand too.

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #3,509 of 6,751
Yes, it has been my favourite pairing so far. I’ve tried it with Schiit Valhalla 2 and Liquid Carbon X. The Valhalla was my least favourite; I found it too forward. The LCX was better but the LP is another league. It doesn’t sound like a $400-500 amplifier. Nothing felt lacking to my eyes and definitely felt it was punching way above its weight, at least with the Aeolus.

im still using a Topping D10 so perhaps I’ll look at a Schiit BiFrost 2 next.

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #3,510 of 6,751
Nice! Wenge looks amazing in pics and knowing how hard it is to work with, and unique looking it is, I am super excited to see that wood in person. I think the darker color of the Wenge, will contrast with my Cocobolo Atticus and Sapele Aelous, and really make them pop.

I think it looks pretty damn good
PXL_20210109_234309346.PORTRAIT.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back