ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Jan 7, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #3,482 of 6,760
thanks guys, you have me sold.

I think my next headphone will be the Aeolus, as I am looking for an upgrade from the HD6xx, and currently have a HD800S which is wonderful but can be a bit tiresome at times when I just want to kick back and relax to the music.

You will not be disappointed trust me. Don't forget to order them with the Universe suede perforated pads.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #3,483 of 6,760
You will not be disappointed trust me. Don't forget to order them with the Universe suede perforated pads.

You betcha.

I already done some research and plan to get the Universe suede pads, suede headband and possibly even the pilot headband for extra comfort.

Im thinking a darker wood with brass grills is to my liking looks wise. Exciting just thinking about it.

I believe this would make an excellent compliment to my HD800S.

Unfortunately as I just recently purchased my HD800S (about 2 Months ago) so wont be able to purchase the Aeolus too soon, so will need to wait a few Months before I purchase.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #3,484 of 6,760
You betcha.

I already done some research and plan to get the Universe suede pads, suede headband and possibly even the pilot headband for extra comfort.

Im thinking a darker wood with brass grills is to my liking looks wise. Exciting just thinking about it.

I believe this would make an excellent compliment to my HD800S.

Unfortunately as I just recently purchased my HD800S (about 2 Months ago) so wont be able to purchase the Aeolus too soon, so will need to wait a few Months before I purchase.

May I suggest... since you are used to the normal weight of the Sennheisers, don't go for special woods. They make the Aeolus heavier in most cases, and I mean 50 to 100 grams heavier. The stock sapele wood and the $250 (or is it $200? I forgot) magnesium chassis upgrade bring you to 430 grams or thereabouts (depends on your particular wood piece, even if wood type is know). As someone who is very used to the light weight of the Sennheiser 6-series, I found the 430 grams of the Aeolus to work, but personally I would not want anything heavier.

Also, I did get the co-pilot pad, but for me it did not add any comfort, if anything it added some weight, so I sold it.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #3,486 of 6,760
The choice of wood changes the sound quite a lot. I'm very happy about my cocobolo aeolus and think it's superior to the very reverby sound of the stock woods. I chose the padded suede strap headband for increase comfort and I have no problem listening for hours even the cocobolo with stainless grills weights 575g.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #3,487 of 6,760
The stock sapele wood and the $250 (or is it $200? I forgot) magnesium chassis upgrade bring you to 430 grams or thereabouts (depends on your particular wood piece, even if wood type is know).

It mentions on ZMF website

"The upgraded magnesium chassis is painted, not anodized, and may wear over time."

so magnesium frame will be more prone to wearing than the normal stock frame?

Also I am considering to get the brass grills and rods because I think it looks nice, is there any downsides to the brass that I should be aware of such as weight or wear?

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #3,488 of 6,760
The paint on magnesium may scratch easily but Zach also offers paint repair pens if you ask him nicely.

Black grills are the lightest and brass will add some extra grams to your headphone. Stainless steel is the most heavy.

A stock wood aeolus with alumium chassis and brass will be like 450- 470g. Don't worry weight distribution is very good. Especially if you use the universe suede perforated pads its very comfortable and delivers the best sonic experience aswell.

I highly recommend the suede padded headband for extra comfort and also if you have a smaller head.

Jan 9, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #3,490 of 6,760
I highly recommend the suede padded headband for extra comfort and also if you have a smaller head.
Ah sorry i meant suede strap. headband is only aestetics.
Choose according to your preference of material.

For stock wood I recommend leather strap and headband its best looks and easy to clean.
You can also buy pilot pad or co-pilot pad for extra comfort on the leather strap later on.

Maybe you want to wait for a nice new limited wood run on the Aeolus.
A harder wood like my cocobolo changes the sounds quite alot to a more direct sound with less reverb.
Stock wood is a very relaxed sound. No listening fatigue at all.

Zach matches the finish of the wood cups to your chosen grills and rods. For example mine is darker than other cocobolo sets i saw for a nice contrast to the steel grills and cable :)
He will not dissappoint you.
Aeolus.jpg
Aeolus 2.jpg
Aeolus 3.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #3,491 of 6,760
Ah sorry i meant suede strap. headband is only aestetics.
Choose according to your preference of material.

For stock wood I recommend leather strap and headband its best looks and easy to clean.
You can also buy pilot pad or co-pilot pad for extra comfort on the leather strap later on.

Maybe you want to wait for a nice new limited wood run on the Aeolus.
A harder wood like my cocobolo changes the sounds quite alot to a more direct sound with less reverb.
Stock wood is a very relaxed sound. No listening fatigue at all.

Zach matches the finish of the wood cups to your chosen grills and rods. For example mine is darker than other cocobolo sets i saw for a nice contrast to the steel grills and cable :)
He will not dissappoint you.
Man! That is a killer looking pair of Cocobolo Aelous! If you ever want to sell those, I'm your huckleberry. :wink:

By the way, that's some good info provided in your post. :thumbsup:

I have all suede (strap, headband, and pads) on my Aeolus and like the look of either all suede or all leather myself, for continuity. As for my Atticus, I have all leather and it is super comfortable as well, but just a tad less than the suede. However, the leather is cooler while wearing and more durable. They both have their strengths, and you really can't go wrong with either one. The suede strap is super comfortable, and I can wear my Aelous for hours without any hot spots on the top of my head, and the Atticus I do have to move around to avoid hot spots. The Atticus does weigh a lot more, so that might have something to do with the hots spots as well, and I imagine the suede would be better.

The best of both worlds. :metal: :gs1000smile::metal:

All Suede Sapele Aeolus & All Leather Cocobolo Atticus

20210109_060153.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #3,492 of 6,760
I disagree with calling the Atticus v shaped though. There's more mid-bass than sub-bass extension, the mids are forward not recessed like a v shape would indicate, and they have a darker tint so the v would be short on one side. W shaped maybe, but again the treble doesn't extend well enough to call it that either imo. I don't think the Atticus has a letter shaped frequency. It's pretty unique.
C shaped? K shaped?

Dude sell me your perch and buy a stand from zmf that works.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #3,493 of 6,760
Man! That is a killer looking pair of Cocobolo Aelous! If you ever want to sell those, I'm your huckleberry. :wink:

By the way, that's some good info provided in your post. :thumbsup:

I have all suede (strap, headband, and pads) on my Aeolus and like the look of either all suede or all leather myself, for continuity. As for my Atticus, I have all leather and it is super comfortable as well, but just a tad less than the suede. However, the leather is cooler while wearing and more durable. They both have their strengths, and you really can't go wrong with either one. The suede strap is super comfortable, and I can wear my Aelous for hours without any hot spots on the top of my head, and the Atticus I do have to move around to avoid hot spots. The Atticus does weigh a lot more, so that might have something to do with the hots spots as well, and I imagine the suede would be better.

The best of both worlds. :metal: :gs1000smile::metal:

I know, right! They look great.
Would be a great match with your Atticus!

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #3,494 of 6,760
I know, right! They look great.
Would be a great match with your Atticus!
I totally agree! I have been wanting a Salire from the start, but have been holding out for a different kind of wood, that contrasts well with my Cocobolo Atticus. I will own one some day. . .

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #3,495 of 6,760
C shaped? K shaped?

Dude sell me your perch and buy a stand from zmf that works.
I will let you know, when I am going to list it. I am looking at the Salire in Wenge Wood at the moment. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back