ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Oct 10, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,801 of 6,751
Gotta say, loving the Aeolus with stock pads on the LYR3 with some tube I have no idea what it is. Dont even want to take it out to post a pic so someone can tell me what it is. Perfect amp w/tube for this headphone... for now at least.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #1,802 of 6,751
Gotta say, loving the Aeolus with stock pads on the LYR3 with some tube I have no idea what it is. Dont even want to take it out to post a pic so someone can tell me what it is. Perfect amp w/tube for this headphone... for now at least.

I am relatively new to the Aeolus (several weeks), but it's been great with the Gilmore Lite MK2, the WA3, and the GOTL. All while using stock pads. Seems like this headphones is quite friendly to lots of different amps. I'm curious to try the perforated suede, but am in no hurry since it sounds so good the way it is.

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #1,803 of 6,751
Interesting! I actually sold my Lyr 3, because I did not think it could hang with the LP, using my Aeolus, now I am wondering if I should have hung onto it, and found a better tube. . .If you ever do snap a pic of that tube, I am here to help you id it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #1,804 of 6,751
I continue to enjoy this borrowed Aeolus w/Verite pads (which I prefer to stock pads by a wide margin). With these pads, the Aeolus has turned into the most "Swiss Army Knife"-like headphone I've ever experienced. They sound good on everything (I have 1/2 dozen amps--all work w/this HP); and all the music I try sounds good on them.

The other night I tried the Aeolus on my Liquid Carbon v2. You might be thinking, "Warm amp + warm headphone...yuck!" But I've had some very pleasing & paradoxical results with this amp on warm headphones. The Aeolus goes into that camp. Instead of hearing warmth, I heard precision: all the usual sonic characteristics of the headphone became slightly more focused & precise...a crystalline but highly musical sound. It actually compares well to what I hear from an OTL, the Woo WA3, where things get flat, calm, and still highly musical.

After the LC v2, I switched back to the V281, which works insanely well w/the Aeolus. It's an amazing headphone.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #1,805 of 6,751
I continue to enjoy this borrowed Aeolus w/Verite pads (which I prefer to stock pads by a wide margin). With these pads, the Aeolus has turned into the most "Swiss Army Knife"-like headphone I've ever experienced. They sound good on everything (I have 1/2 dozen amps--all work w/this HP); and all the music I try sounds good on them.

The other night I tried the Aeolus on my Liquid Carbon v2. You might be thinking, "Warm amp + warm headphone...yuck!" But I've had some very pleasing & paradoxical results with this amp on warm headphones. The Aeolus goes into that camp. Instead of hearing warmth, I heard precision: all the usual sonic characteristics of the headphone became slightly more focused & precise...a crystalline but highly musical sound. It actually compares well to what I hear from an OTL, the Woo WA3, where things get flat, calm, and still highly musical.

After the LC v2, I switched back to the V281, which works insanely well w/the Aeolus. It's an amazing headphone.
I have been having a similar experience, with the warm tubes, and warm Aeolus, pairing extremely well. This headphone never stops, blowing my mind, and just sounds right and realistic, no matter what it is plugged into. Sometimes, I feel like I might over praise this headphone a bit, but it sure does deserve it.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #1,806 of 6,751
And such a beautiful headphone too!!!
I'm receiving today my Woo WA2 (which I understand is quite warm) and my Aeolus in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to try them together!!! :L3000:

Oct 10, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #1,808 of 6,751
I'm totally ok with the combination of a warm amp and warm headphone. At the end of the day (for me) it's about being engaged by what I'm listening to. I don't need bright gear for that to happen.
Amen to that!

Oct 10, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #1,809 of 6,751
I'm totally ok with the combination of a warm amp and warm headphone. At the end of the day (for me) it's about being engaged by what I'm listening to. I don't need bright gear for that to happen.

Amen to that!

+1. Sometimes (as in always!) I think I am a basshead in audiophile disguise... :)

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,811 of 6,751
Interesting! I actually sold my Lyr 3, because I did not think it could hang with the LP, using my Aeolus, now I am wondering if I should have hung onto it, and found a better tube. . .If you ever do snap a pic of that tube, I am here to help you id it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’ll take out the tube today and post a pic. I’d really like to know what it is. Thanx for the upcoming assistance Wes

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,812 of 6,751
Hi everyone - I'm new to this group and looking forward to participating. Just got a deal on an Aeolus and am eagerly awaiting its arrival! I'll try to post my impressions and comparisons with my HD800S.

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #1,814 of 6,751
Yikes, I thought I posted in this thread but I happened to be in the LYR3 thread instead. I just copied the link of that post to here. Ok Wes (or anyone) what the heck do I have here.
https://www.head-fi.org/posts/15240319/
That's a Sylvania Bad Boy, and was my second fav tube in the Lyr 3, just behind the Brimar CV1988. The Bad Boy is balanced yet musical, in the Lyr 3, and I can see why that would sound good with the Aeolus.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #1,815 of 6,751
Hi everyone - I'm new to this group and looking forward to participating. Just got a deal on an Aeolus and am eagerly awaiting its arrival! I'll try to post my impressions and comparisons with my HD800S.

Welcome, but I only just got here as well. You're in for some fun with the Aeolus and I look forward to your comparisons to the HD800S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back