ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 27, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #1,696 of 6,741
Yes Sir! I LOOOOOVE the bubinga. The look and the sound is just magnificent. Probably my favorite headphone right now.
Hats off to you, Sir!!! :clap::clap::clap: I cannot opine on the sound yet, but the looks are indeed outstanding.

I have been following ZMF for a while, intrigued by all that I'd read about it (currently mainly an user of LCD-XC and Stellia). Last weekend I decided to take the plunge and buy an Aeolus. I REALLY wanted the bubinga with bronze, and was sad to see that they are not available on the website anymore. Aaaaaarrrrghhhh!!!!!!!:tired_face::tired_face::tired_face::tired_face:

I needn't have worried, as I dropped a message to Zach and a few minutes later he came back to me (on a Sunday! that's passion) saying that he still has a few bubinga cups available. I should have my own Aelous in a few weeks :smile::smile::smile::smile::):):):)

So anybody else interested in a bubinga cup, get in touch with @zach915m and he'll be happy to help.

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #1,698 of 6,741
I'll admit, I'm torn. I love the look of the standard Aeolus, but the LTD in blackwood also looks amazing. Would they sound significantly different than the standard version? I wonder if it's worth the extra $300.

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #1,699 of 6,741
you are welcome

In the meantime, I have to say that struments separation is top notch, also listening to one of my favorite test tracks (dreams fleetwood Mac ) during the chorus you can hear the 3 voices very clear.
Level of detail is like an ether c flow but without being analitical, dry and... Boring! Lol

I know this is an ancient post but do you mind comparing the detail level to a Aeon Flow? If it's better than an Ether than I'd be happy. Trying to get something with similar detail to an HD800 but without its weird hollow, treble focused sound.

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #1,700 of 6,741
I'll admit, I'm torn. I love the look of the standard Aeolus, but the LTD in blackwood also looks amazing. Would they sound significantly different than the standard version? I wonder if it's worth the extra $300.

To me the 300 didn't worth the risk, also because i prefer brighter woods...
I know this is an ancient post but do you mind comparing the detail level to a Aeon Flow? If it's better than an Ether than I'd be happy. Trying to get something with similar detail to an HD800 but without its weird hollow, treble focused sound.

Well man, i will try to give you my perception but i have particoular tastes, i listen only to tidal and not genres that NEEDS the level of detail that hd800 can give you. I had afo twice in my journey and even if i find that with metal and dance is a great hp, it always let you wanting more. Firts of all, afo is an open back that sounds like a closed back. Afo is what afc should have been. Second of all, if you only use afo and then switch to everything else, you suddenly know that you are missing details, musicality, realism. Also, i found it harsh, i always hated those "sss". Try patricia barber or lorena mckennit... Ether c flow could maybe give the detail you are searching, but still missing that engaging factor. I don't like jazz but during a meeting a friend of mine listened to some super hifi recording of a jazz section and you could hear even the nails on the guitar strings. It was analytical but in some sort of musical way. I assume that also ether flow open too could please you. after having an hd800s (i know it is a little different but my friend had that and lended it for a week) drove by one of the best otl money can buy i can tell you that i still don't understand all the fuzz about it. Tried to listen to massive attack and lenny kravitz. Terrible experience.
I had the chance/privilege to a/b lcd4 and aeolus, i admit that if money wouldn't be a problem i would have kept the lcd4, but even if aeolus wasnt so precise, so "hifi", so perfect and it is a little more laid back comparing to lcd4, at the end of the day it gave me a portrait of what music should be to me. It give you the chance to FEEL the Music, not just listen to it. I sold it only because i wanted to see which one i missed the most..
You get detail without being fatigued, bass without being overwhelmed, mids nuance without being bored. In the mad world of hifi with aeolus, a good warm otl and a good dac (everything from a modi3) you get something that cannot be beaten. You than get get something different, but not better. Lcd4 was different, i never thought "damn this 4k hp blows everything out of the water", never for a second.
I always thought that headphones are like women. There is the one for a certain period of your life, there is the first one that makes you say "wow.. But this is it? Is it possible that there isnt something better?I want to try something else!" (hd598 and was the beginning of the end). there is the one with you can get drunk, laugh for everything, have unprotected sex, and than feel ashamed and dont want to even talk about it (afo), there is the one that every man in town tried and you have to try it too if you want to call yourself a man (hd650), there is the one that everyone adores and when you have you chance think "i don't think is so good, maybe those men didnt try nothing better" (hd800), there is the anoressic one, you are having sex with her but you cant really enjoy beacause all you can see is stingly bones, but she still manage to get someone who likes her (he560), there is your twin flame, the perfect one on the paper, the one you want to show the world, your friends, your parents and brag about, you have good times, good sex, good conversations, you feel like god when you show her off in restaurants (lcd4), but you dont live your life on the paper. And then there is your soulmate, the one that gives you a little of everything and always let you wanting for more (of her) (aeolus). There is also the drunk, unresolved sister of your soulmate, she is a stripper, do drugs, she is screwing beautiful (atticus).
I almost forgot! There is the one that everyone see you with, because she is nice, have a good job, she goes to church, she is always well dressed, what a gooood girl. The one who is so perfect that you think there is something going on.. But she is not your soulmate(verite)

Aug 29, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #1,702 of 6,741
To me the 300 didn't worth the risk, also because i prefer brighter woods...

Well man, i will try to give you my perception but i have particoular tastes, i listen only to tidal and not genres that NEEDS the level of detail that hd800 can give you. I had afo twice in my journey and even if i find that with metal and dance is a great hp, it always let you wanting more. Firts of all, afo is an open back that sounds like a closed back. Afo is what afc should have been. Second of all, if you only use afo and then switch to everything else, you suddenly know that you are missing details, musicality, realism. Also, i found it harsh, i always hated those "sss". Try patricia barber or lorena mckennit... Ether c flow could maybe give the detail you are searching, but still missing that engaging factor. I don't like jazz but during a meeting a friend of mine listened to some super hifi recording of a jazz section and you could hear even the nails on the guitar strings. It was analytical but in some sort of musical way. I assume that also ether flow open too could please you. after having an hd800s (i know it is a little different but my friend had that and lended it for a week) drove by one of the best otl money can buy i can tell you that i still don't understand all the fuzz about it. Tried to listen to massive attack and lenny kravitz. Terrible experience.
I had the chance/privilege to a/b lcd4 and aeolus, i admit that if money wouldn't be a problem i would have kept the lcd4, but even if aeolus wasnt so precise, so "hifi", so perfect and it is a little more laid back comparing to lcd4, at the end of the day it gave me a portrait of what music should be to me. It give you the chance to FEEL the Music, not just listen to it. I sold it only because i wanted to see which one i missed the most..
You get detail without being fatigued, bass without being overwhelmed, mids nuance without being bored. In the mad world of hifi with aeolus, a good warm otl and a good dac (everything from a modi3) you get something that cannot be beaten. You than get get something different, but not better. Lcd4 was different, i never thought "damn this 4k hp blows everything out of the water", never for a second.
I always thought that headphones are like women. There is the one for a certain period of your life, there is the first one that makes you say "wow.. But this is it? Is it possible that there isnt something better?I want to try something else!" (hd598 and was the beginning of the end). there is the one with you can get drunk, laugh for everything, have unprotected sex, and than feel ashamed and dont want to even talk about it (afo), there is the one that every man in town tried and you have to try it too if you want to call yourself a man (hd650), there is the one that everyone adores and when you have you chance think "i don't think is so good, maybe those men didnt try nothing better" (hd800), there is the anoressic one, you are having sex with her but you cant really enjoy beacause all you can see is stingly bones, but she still manage to get someone who likes her (he560), there is your twin flame, the perfect one on the paper, the one you want to show the world, your friends, your parents and brag about, you have good times, good sex, good conversations, you feel like god when you show her off in restaurants (lcd4), but you dont live your life on the paper. And then there is your soulmate, the one that gives you a little of everything and always let you wanting for more (of her) (aeolus). There is also the drunk, unresolved sister of your soulmate, she is a stripper, do drugs, she is screwing beautiful (atticus).
I almost forgot! There is the one that everyone see you with, because she is nice, have a good job, she goes to church, she is always well dressed, what a gooood girl. The one who is so perfect that you think there is something going on.. But she is not your soulmate(verite)

Haha I enjoyed reading your write up - very interesting way of looking at this. What I liked most about the AFO was its tone - I think it had great mids but the treble was a bit harsh like you were saying, like it was slapped together - maybe I didn't have enough burn in or I just thought it was what I wanted coming from the LCD 2's which are just too dark for me imo.

I'm planning on pairing the Aeolus with a analytical DAC and a "get out of the way" tube amp which isn't so reliant on the tubes used but instead just tries to bring out the best of the cans. What I disliked about the Atticus seems fixed in the Aeolus - aka. the crazy midbass and sometimes muted detail. I personally felt like the Atticus wasn't that big of an upgrade over the 650s. I like detail that isn't pushed in my face or isn't distracting - the Auteurs detail is an example of detail done right. If it's just a tad bit less detailed than the Auteurs than I'd be a happy camper. I know Biocelluose is a special driver but personally I do love fun cans hence why I gave up the AFO and loved the LCD 2s, etc. Thanks for your writeup.

I needn't have worried, as I dropped a message to Zach and a few minutes later he came back to me (on a Sunday! that's passion) saying that he still has a few bubinga cups available.

Man you don't know how bad I've been looking to get some Paduak cups - imo despite the gorgeous woods Zach has put out including the Bocote, Bubinga, and Cocobolo I just love the reddish hue of Paduak. He hasn't gone back to this wood since the original Eikons. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #1,703 of 6,741
Got my ZMF Aeolus earlier this week. Pic side by side with my Hifiman Arya. Aeolus if I want warm, natural sound. Arya if I want neutral, bright-ish sound. :)
ZGPulw8.jpg
Great build quality, surprisingly lightweight. Thanks to Mr. Zach and his wife who have been promptly responding to my emails during the waiting time.

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,704 of 6,741
For the tube fans, I've been listening to the Aeolus with the latest amp I have been working on. (It is only partially completed, the temp output jack can be seen in the back, as well as the top plate being re-done).
This amp is single-ended triode with 45 output tubes, 5842/417A input tubes and a 5AR4 tube rectifier.

The sound in this pairing is cleaner, brighter and slightly more detailed compared to the Elekit 300B I have been using until now.
This is probably due to the 45 output tubes, and potentially the ElectraPrint OPT's.
The sound here is still very engaging and addicting.. hard to stop listening to more songs. I am still determining which overall pairing I like better.
2019-09-01 07.37.32.jpg

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #1,705 of 6,741
Thanks to Mr. Zach and his wife who have been promptly responding to my emails during the waiting time.

Zach and Bevin are a fantastic couple! My buying experience of the Aeolus and Verite, has made me a big fan of ZMF....plus you know....they sound incredible (the headphones, I have not heard Zach or Bevin sing lol). Seriously if I wasn’t so curious about other headphones, I would be done, and happy with my Aeolus, Verite open/closed, and SR1A... these four headphones are all I would need(outside of niche uses, IEMs,gaming on consoles, listening on my iPad to YouTube/movies etc).

IEMs: Andromeda’s and (pre-ordered)Andromeda Golds, BGVP DMG for gym w/Bluetooth cable
Gaming: Möbius, Vokyl Erupt, (pre-ordered Audeze GX)
iPad: Campfire Audio Cascade/Andromeda’s
Nintendo Switch: CA Cascades and Andromeda’s

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #1,708 of 6,741

Users who are viewing this thread

Back