ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Dec 22, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #6,151 of 6,739
This is such a good analogy! It’s definitely more closed in, in your face, and intense. Personally, I hated the OG Aeolus pads until I had a more neutral tube amp. Then I found the sweetness of that the Universe Suede pads had on a warmer setup was replaced with a harsh treble and thin sound. The Aeolus pads bring that sweetness back for me, but also, quite unexpectedly, make the timbre and tonality of the headphone better than I ever heard it before. Everything just feels “right,” though I’m aware this has just as much to do with my source chain than it does with the pads I’m using.

Yes, much more forward. I put my suedes back on. Everything is OK now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ....

....putting these Aeolus OG Pads up for sale in classified. If anyone wants to get ahead of that - send a PM. They are in perfect condition - just got them recently from ZMF/sale. For someone that wants their Aeolus slightly more forward in presentation - these (OG) pads are a good option and hard to find.

20941377863_72a64a5c5b_b.jpg

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #6,152 of 6,739
Listening to the Aeolus this morning via the Woo WA2. ZMF and Woo Audio is a great pairing.

I swapped my pads for the first time today --> using an original version Aeolus perforated lambskin pad.

To be honest, for my preferences, think I prefer the newer Universal Perforated Suede over these.... The original pad is certainly pleasant - but it's more forward - almost to the point where I keep thinking about my Auteur, but not as resolving (of course). To my ear....feels like the pad is trying to lure the Aeolus to a place it naturally doesn't want to go :thinking:

Right now, everything is presenting a bit more like a bold(er) cup of coffee ...wondering where the hot chocolate went.... finding myself confused (not hard to do).

Everything still sounds great - it is the Aeolus after all -- such personal preferences out on the edges of the "pad swapping" game.

Think I'm heading back to the Suede....

IMG_1750.jpeg
Beautiful wood!

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #6,153 of 6,739
From all reports (haven’t heard one personally), the Echo Mk ii should give you exactly what you want. Bonus points that it’s made in and shipped from Poland. I would also generally recommend an OTL over a hybrid amp like the Lyr or Liquid Platinum, mostly due to the high output impedance, but also the circuitry that lets you hear more of the tube experience.
If I were starting over I’d skip OTL and go straight for transformer-coupled, like one of the amps from the good people at Tor Audio. I only mentioned them because I'd assume customs from Ukraine would be easier for you than it is here to the US, and it's at a much lower price point than some of the other popular OTL offerings. I still really enjoy my Valhalla 2 even though I often have a hard time telling it apart from solid state, but after getting the Roger it just about hits the sweet spot with dynamic drivers in every possible way (mostly I use it with the 6XX and Aeolus).

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #6,154 of 6,739
So the Aeolus arrived yesterday, gotta say I'm pretty impressed and surprised. I expected (or I may say... feared?) something way less detailed and refined, sound wise.

So many people online dismiss ZMF headphones as not worth their weight, like they were all about the premium feeling and the the idea of hand crafting. I think this headphone really has its place in his market segment, and not only for the build, warranty and comfort.

They sound full bodied and warm, but not dark or veiled (like the Audio Technics ATH-R70x). What blew me away was the soundstage combined with the detail retrieval of the mids. Really loved them on reverbs and echoes with less heavy rock music (like Radiohead's In Rainbows), they sound amazingly natural and life-like. The Beatles also were pretty great with them.

I'll post something more detailed in the next few days, but man... what a great headphone!

Along with the Arya SE, it makes you forget you are wearing an headphone. The Arya SE just is more consistent with more music genres.

EDIT: Do you guys thinks the Echo MK2 would word with planars like the Arya SE too?
It's so easy to focus on the smooth, pleasing tonal voicing of the Aeolus, including that "fun" bump in the mid-bass, that you can miss the fact it has way more resolution than you first think. The way to prove this is to put on the ZMF perforated Verite pads (those & the perforated suede universe pads are specifically recommended for the Aeolus). The Verite pads preserve the "fun," music-enjoyment vibe of the Aeolus but remove a lot of the mid-bass bump and make the sound slightly more focused and revealing, top-to-bottom.
  • Note that no matter how revealing it becomes with pad swaps, the Aeolus is never insistent, fatiguing, or bright. This is an unfailingly musical, enjoyable headphone.
I ended up staying with the perforated suedes, which strike my ears as the ideal sonic middle ground, balancing the fun with the resolution (and excellent comfort, besides).

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #6,155 of 6,739
If I were starting over I’d skip OTL and go straight for transformer-coupled, like one of the amps from the good people at Tor Audio. I only mentioned them because I'd assume customs from Ukraine would be easier for you than it is here to the US, and it's at a much lower price point than some of the other popular OTL offerings. I still really enjoy my Valhalla 2 even though I often have a hard time telling it apart from solid state, but after getting the Roger it just about hits the sweet spot with dynamic drivers in every possible way (mostly I use it with the 6XX and Aeolus).
Oh yes yes yes! I had totally forgotten about Tor Audio. Good call.

Dec 23, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #6,156 of 6,739
Hey guys, I ask for a little help here.

is this the regular filter for the Aeolus?
IMG_7965 - dimensioni medie.jpeg

If I recall correctly, I remember a solid filter on samples I've seen online in reviews. Just noticed this while putting on the suede pads.

If I may ask another question, can you describe the difference you perceive between the uni perf lamb and suede?

Thanks!

EDIT: With some luck and a bit of google search I found it's a revised mesh filter. The suede pads sounds great, btw!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #6,157 of 6,739

If I recall correctly, I remember a solid filter on samples I've seen online in reviews. Just noticed this while putting on the suede pads.

If I may ask another question, can you describe the difference you perceive between the uni perf lamb and suede?

Thanks!

EDIT: With some luck and a bit of google search I found it's a revised mesh filter. The suede pads sounds great, btw!
Yup, that's the norm. You can check out the explanations on this page: https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/diy/products/acoustic-titan-mesh

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #6,158 of 6,739

Thanks!

that's the newer acoustic titan mesh... before it was a bopp mesh (which was solid). zach said the newer mesh and old one sound the same. I haven't compared. the bopp mesh occasionally has issues where it won't lie smoothly & can make noises when pressing against it (kinda like the safety seal top of a jar of jam).

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #6,159 of 6,739
My old ears may not be the best judges, but I find the suede to be slightly brighter while the perforated lamb are slightly warmer.

Dec 23, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #6,161 of 6,739
that's the newer acoustic titan mesh... before it was a bopp mesh (which was solid). zach said the newer mesh and old one sound the same. I haven't compared. the bopp mesh occasionally has issues where it won't lie smoothly & can make noises when pressing against it (kinda like the safety seal top of a jar of jam).
To my ears there is definitely slightly more treble energy with the Titan mesh compared to the older bop mesh. I find that to be positive overall as I usually run the OG Aeolus pads which are warmer than the Universe pads. The newer Titan mesh has good synergy with the OG Aeolus pads.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #6,162 of 6,739
Just got my aftermarket cable for my Aeolus and it's gorgeous ! So soft and pliable plus the color patern on the paracord goes well with the patern of the cups imo. Just love it. Gotta spoil our babies every once in a while, amirite ? :)
IMG-2720.jpg
IMG-2722.jpg
IMG-2723.jpg
IMG-2724.jpg

Jan 17, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #6,163 of 6,739
Just got my aftermarket cable for my Aeolus and it's gorgeous ! So soft and pliable plus the color patern on the paracord goes well with the patern of the cups imo. Just love it. Gotta spoil our babies every once in a while, amirite ? :)IMG-2720.jpg IMG-2722.jpgIMG-2723.jpgIMG-2724.jpg
Absolutely right! Couldn't agree more. What brand of cable is that? Its really nice looking.

Jan 17, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #6,164 of 6,739
Absolutely right! Couldn't agree more. What brand of cable is that? Its really nice looking.
It’s not a big or known brand but a custom order done by my mate from down under. He lets you pick everything from type of wire to sleeve to connectors & splitter. He does good stuff 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back