ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Dec 15, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #6,121 of 6,740
Yes! The Aeolus and Forge have amazing synergy. The added bass oomph and clarity of the Forge make the Aeolus an extremely enjoyable headphone (if it wasn’t already!). From my time with the Forge, that was one of my favorite pairings along with the HD6XX.

Cheers bud. Thank you!

I haven't had the pleasure to try the forge, but I really enjoyed the aeolus on both the crackatwoa and the ampandsound bigger ben. The crackatwoa really was a pleasure with a denser wood aeolus; relaxed with great clarity as well. I've mentioned before it was a great, great work combo.

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a crackatwoa! Tried the Bigger Ben x Aeolus combo in the past and it is indeed wonderful.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #6,122 of 6,740
All of this is really making me go back to my roots and retrace where things started with the Aeolus int terms of it being my first kilobuck headphone.

I need some of that nostalgia in my life.

Dec 16, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #6,123 of 6,740
Ok after listening to my new babies for the past two days all I can say is "WOW". They sound just as good as I remebered them. Nice, lush & full sounding, warm and inviting and best of all, fatigue free. I really like the the mid bass bump that adds that bit of "fun" when listening to some bass heavy songs but the star of the show here are definitely the mids. These have one of the best mids I have ever heard, period. Vocals just sound so intoxicating. Technically can't really compete with my Verite Open but tonality wise I almost prefer the Aeolus (almost!) with it's more relaxed and smooth presentation. Adding a few more pictures just because they're drop dead gorgeous (IMO).

Edit: They're a great complement to my Verite Open.
IMG-2589.jpg

IMG-2590.jpg
IMG-2591.jpg
IMG-2581.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-2589.jpg
    IMG-2589.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #6,125 of 6,740
Ok after listening to my new babies for the past two days all I can say is "WOW". They sound just as good as I remebered them. Nice, lush & full sounding, warm and inviting and best of all, fatigue free. I really like the the mid bass bump that adds that bit of "fun" when listening to some bass heavy songs but the star of the show here are definitely the mids. These have one of the best mids I have ever heard, period. Vocals just sound so intoxicating. Technically can't really compete with my Verite Open but tonality wise I almost prefer the Aeolus (almost!) with it's more relaxed and smooth presentation. Adding a few more pictures just because they're drop dead gorgeous (IMO).

IMG-2589.jpg
IMG-2590.jpgIMG-2591.jpgIMG-2581.jpg
Beautiful set ! Is this dark camphor burl or stabilised ?

Agree that VO and Aeolus are great complements. I have both too and they are not going anywhere.

Dec 16, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #6,126 of 6,740
Beautiful set ! Is this dark camphor burl or stabilised ?

Agree that VO and Aeolus are great complements. I have both too and they are not going anywhere.
If I’m not mistaken it’s stabilized maple burl

Dec 17, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #6,127 of 6,740

I'm just rediscovering the Aeolus too and they're even better than I'd remembered and hoped they'd be the 2nd time around. I'm thinking the harder wood may be the difference. I'm enjoying them so far more than the Auteur Classic since most of my listening is at night, when I prefer warmer headphones since my brain/ears are tired.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #6,128 of 6,740
I'm just rediscovering the Aeolus too and they're even better than I'd remembered and hoped they'd be the 2nd time around. I'm thinking the harder wood may be the difference. I'm enjoying them so far more than the Auteur Classic since most of my listening is at night, when I prefer warmer headphones since my brain/ears are tired.
Be sure to enjoy the Classic during the day too in that case :wink: It’s crazy how, despite both being ZMF’s, those two headphones complement each other so well. Aeolus for that super fun and engaging, but at the same time easy-going signature, and the Auteur Classic for a more detailed, spacious, yet cohesive and lush presentation.

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #6,129 of 6,740
Had a very nice surprise with my Aeolus the other night: tried it on the transformer-coupled tube amp, the Icon Audio HP8, for the first time. Wasn't expecting much--but what I got was a sonic love match, terrific sound.

(I like happy little surprises like that)

FWIW, I think harder woods are the way to go with this particular headphone. Stabilized woods are quite hard & heavy due to the resin. I got mine in blackwood, and that sound just flat-out works for me. I use the perforated suede universe pads, IMO the best of the 3 options I tried (the others being stock Aeolus pads & Verite pads).

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #6,130 of 6,740
Had a very nice surprise with my Aeolus the other night: tried it on the transformer-coupled tube amp, the Icon Audio HP8, for the first time. Wasn't expecting much--but what I got was a sonic love match, terrific sound.

FWIW, I think harder woods are the way to go with this particular headphone. Stabilized woods are quite hard & heavy due to the resin. I got mine in blackwood, and that sound just flat-out works for me. I use the perforated suede universe pads, IMO the best of the 3 options I tried (the others being stock Aeolus pads & Verite pads).
Similar great experience when I put on my Aeolus last night with the Cayin HA-6A; after extensive listening with my VO in last couple of weeks. It reminded me on why I love this hp so much. Really appreciate the accentuated mids, vocals are intoxicatingly good In terms of smoothness and richness. It may not be the most detailed hp but the extra oomph I get with the mid bass slam; coupled with the natural timbre; is just priceless. It provides such an easy, intimate and cosy listen that i can go on and on with that “one more song”. The other great strength of Aeolus is its effortless and synergistic pairing with any amps ( SS or tubes). Nothing can make it sound bad. It is just that good.

My set is camphor burl, not as hard as blackwood like yours but it still has the immediacy, speed and the ablility to hit hard when the song calls for it. Think both soft and hard wood can work very well with the Aeolus.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #6,131 of 6,740

The Aeolus and HP8 are a synergy to be heard!
1B44272B-B6BD-4923-B61F-0D32AA2F6039.jpeg

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #6,132 of 6,740
The Aeolus and HP8 are a synergy to be heard!1B44272B-B6BD-4923-B61F-0D32AA2F6039.jpeg
Nice combo ! Always love looking at that camphor burl set of yours :)

FWIW, I would have gotten the HP8 if not for the fact that Icon Audio in UK couldn’t sell to me at where I am staying; due to lack of local service/backup support.

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #6,133 of 6,740
This evening has been an Aeolus / Violectric V281 session on my MFSB albums. This pairing is right up there with Aeolus / Icon Audio HP8. Of many sonic delights/highlights are: ambience, balance, harmonics, percussion snap, string overtones, and vocals. It is a tribute also to V281 that all the foregoing comes fully through. No zero distortion linear ‘labamp’ ####ing up the essentials!
6551556E-16FE-49CA-970C-4F20B7565542.jpeg
🎼🙂🎶

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #6,134 of 6,740
This evening has been an Aeolus / Violectric V281 session on my MFSB albums. This pairing is right up there with Aeolus / Icon Audio HP8. Of many sonic delights/highlights are: ambience, balance, harmonics, percussion snap, string overtones, and vocals. It is a tribute also to V281 that all the foregoing comes fully through. No linear zero distortion ‘labamp’ ####ing up the essentials! 🎼🙂🎶
All true.

These days I typically listen to the Aeolus or VO, first on the HP8, then the V281. Both amps are connected to the DAC via its dual RCA outputs, so no switching is required. At least for me, these amps illustrate ideal tube and solid state sound, respectively.

Dec 17, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #6,135 of 6,740
Listening to my favourite Morcheeba album with the Aeolus on my Ares/Elise combo and I'm in audio heaven. The sound coming out of this pairing is just out of this world. Now I know why I missed the Aeolus so much ever since I sold my last pair. Never again ! These are staying with me for good this time.
IMG-2596.jpg
IMG-2599.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back