ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Aug 31, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #5,926 of 6,756
Do try high impedance OTL! 😀😜
• I say high impedance because there are a few OTL tube h/p/a with low output impedance. For example, Schiit Valhalla II and Linear Tube Audio MZ3. Both are wonderful with ZMFs - with amazing clarity via the MZ3.
• The high(er) output impedance OTL h/p/a - such as Woo WA2 and WA3 - have a lower ‘damping factor’ with the ZMFs and have that extra ‘release energy’ 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #5,929 of 6,756
IMHO the Aeolus is the phone to beat in the $800-1000 price range (used) and competes with many, many higher priced phones. Even more so when paired with tubes.

Sep 1, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #5,931 of 6,756
One thing I’ve noticed and it’s only about 10% of my music so far but on certain tracks vocals sound very distant seems like it does sometimes when your cable isn’t inserted all the way?? Then on most it’s very full and beautiful, Impedance thing? But why only on certain tracks hmm oh well they sound excellent on most tracks

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #5,932 of 6,756
Must be the hardwood maple leading edges have great sharp attack, notes very articulate, at the same time delicate def a totl sound while being very musical, the only headphone I know that does similar is susvara. My apologies for triple post lol

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #5,933 of 6,756
One thing I’ve noticed and it’s only about 10% of my music so far but on certain tracks vocals sound very distant seems like it does sometimes when your cable isn’t inserted all the way?? Then on most it’s very full and beautiful, Impedance thing?. But why only on certain tracks hmm oh well they sound exce
What pads are you running with your Aeolus? Most people prefer the Universe pads both Lambskin and particularly Suede.

I see a lot of folks say the vocals are distant (compared to other phones out there) on the Aeolus. I actually prefer and run the original Aeolus pads that are no longer manufactured. You see these pads come up for sale in the classified section periodically. I don't find vocals distant at all using these pads.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #5,934 of 6,756
What pads are you running with your Aeolus? Most people prefer the Universe pads with it both Lambskin and particularly Suede.

I see a lot of folks say the vocals are distant (compared to other phones our there) on the Aeolus. I actually prefer and run the original Aeolus pads that are no longer manufactured. You see these pads come up for sale in the classified section periodically. I don't find vocals distant at all using these pads.
Yes sir the ones on here are perf lambskin universal I have perf suede on the way though, honestly though not sure I want more neutral I dig the fun sound lol. I’ll keep a eye out I’d love to hear the original pads!

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #5,935 of 6,756
Yes sir the ones on here are perf lambskin universal I have perf suede on the way though, honestly though not sure I want more neutral I dig the fun sound lol. I’ll keep a eye out I’d love to hear the original pads!
If you are looking for a warmer, more fun signature the original Aeolus pads are the way to go.

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #5,937 of 6,756
If you are looking for a warmer, more fun signature the original Aeolus pads are the way to go.
Once again - whatever the ZMF, the pads that come standard with the ZMF deliver the musical goods!

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #5,938 of 6,756
I think these are the best fun sig I’ve heard, it’s done right and I can tell, because they don’t sound like garbage after listening to Susvara lol
Now that’s high praise!

Sep 2, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #5,940 of 6,756
I haven't heard vo or vc but have listened to enough high end cans to now know if someone tells me a or b is much much better than these ...well... thats just your opinion jack 😆
Yeah I think in the end it just comes down to personal preference. What's best for one listener may not be the best for another. We all have different ears, musical tastes, and equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back